PDA

View Full Version : HOLMAN/MOODY 427`S

MR MAGOO
07-26-2001, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know if Holman/Moody made a 427 side oiler Ford? I was told that the 427`s from them were center oilers. Thanks.

Voodoocanoe
07-26-2001, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure if h/m installed any side oiler 427's I myself kinda of doubt it but you never know, several years ago I repowered a 1969 Chris Craft Comander with 454 Crusaders and have 2 complete tired but running when removed 427 solid cam low risers available if anybody is interested.

Rootsy
07-27-2001, 09:06 AM
How much would you be willing to part with the right hand motor for? I have a 1964 Mercury Cyclone that would LOVE one stuffed under the hood.. for the right price of course, cause you KNOW i'm only gonna use the short block and some other odds and ends.

H-M DID a lot of work modifying ford race cars, circle track and drag during the 60's, more so than boats. There were A LOT of 427's stuffed into things, comets, fairlanes, mustangs and galaxies, etc etc etc... all the factory lightweight stuff came with side-oilers in 63, 64 and 65... think all the marine engines were center oilers though... if you would like to ask em their web page is www.holmanmoody.com (http://www.holmanmoody.com)

ALLAN BROWN
07-27-2001, 09:39 AM
THEY MADE LOTS OF THEM. i RACED HI-RISER, HI-WINDER, SIDE-OILERS, 8V FOR A COUPLE OF SEASONS. PAIN IN THE BUTT AT IDLE, BUT FAST AND STRONG. WE SWITCHED TO WEBER 58'S AND MEDIUM RISE FOR TAMENESS.

BROWNIE

Voodoocanoe
07-27-2001, 12:30 PM
My mistake I assumed that you were talking about 427 Hi risers factory installed in a Donzi.

Jaroot,I would like to see both of them out of the barn and would make you a great deal also have a set of med riser heads and a tri power intake. Since you are local(50-60 miles)come on out and take a look.

Email me for directions.

Riley
07-27-2001, 01:09 PM
Voodoocanoe, I may be interested in your LH 427. Do you know what the factory hp rating was on those engines? Are you selling the complete marinized engine w/transmision? It sounds like one of those powerplants could form the basis of a vintage "hot rod" Chris-Craft I've been toying with building.

Rootsy
07-27-2001, 01:43 PM
What kinda good deal? anything internally wrong with em? and god this is a dumb question but i'm trying to remember is a right hand motor spinning CCW? which is the standard rotation for a car... which this would go in.. and i am actually in Brooklyn at the moment and one of my best friends is from St. Clair.. actually China, MI.

Riley
07-27-2001, 03:26 PM
Jamie, as far as I can remember, a LH rotation engine spins ccw as viewed from the propeller. Every car engine we have marinized (sp) has required the use of a LH prop, on a direct drive Chris-Craft set up.

Rootsy
07-27-2001, 03:39 PM
i believe you are right riley... now that i think hard of it.. when viewed from the damper *front* end of the motor, when cranked over it spins clockwise. Guess i'd need that motor for the cyclone... don't wanna have to put it in reverse to go forward.. that would be BAD!!!! Unless tehy are both the same direction and were switched in the drives... anyway, i get the one i need and i'll scrap that 347 stroker small block and buy the kit and plop the FE under the cyclones hood.. THAT'LL give some conversation around town...

Riley
07-27-2001, 04:17 PM
Jamie, I'd take whichever of those mills you don't want. Either one would work for what I'd like to do. Kind of a funny story, but the first time my dad and I put a sbc in a Chris Craft we assumed all engines rotated the same way. So, we still had the rh wheel on the boat when the installation was completed. Everything was cool, good oil pressure, water at the exhausts, timing was set, idle okay.......Until dad put the boat in reverse and if just about shot through the front of our boat house! Like any 12 year old I started laughing my ass off, which, needless to say, really ticked the old man off.

Voodoocanoe
07-31-2001, 10:38 PM
LH rotation engines can be easily converted to RH rotation by changing the camshaft/distributor gear and firing order there's a benefit to doing this as the thrust side of the piston skirt on a LH engine is just the opposite on a RH engine so there is little wear on the thrust side when converting to RH rotation. keep in mind that the engines were removed approx 7 years ago and were replaced because they were tired but they ran with no knocks leaks or ticking noises I can't remember the engine hours but I would count on rebuilding them they were pickeled for long term storage and they are complete from flame arrestor to oil pan including exhaust and closed cooling system but no transmissions I believe the HP rating were 340HP? there are HP stickers on the valve covers but I have not looked at them in quite awhile as far as pricing goes make a reasonable offer or trade for ?hope this answers all your questions Jaroot I'm 20 miles SE of E.China

Rootsy
08-01-2001, 11:51 AM
Looking for anything in particular for trade? don't know what all i have you'd be interested in but give me an idea and i'll see what i have, sent you an email regarding these motors too.