PDA

View Full Version : Question for BigGrizzly

DonziDave
04-20-2001, 04:59 PM
Grizz - Since you are one of our leading motorheads, I need some spark plug advice concerning heat range.
The facts: stock '86 Mercruiser 350 except mild marine cam and better intake. Exclusively use Amoco 93 octane white gas.
50% putt time - 50% yehaa time.
I have been using NGK Platinum plugs (don't have #)
Can you recommend an appropriate plug (by brand & ID #) to use?
Thanks - Dave

BigGrizzly
04-20-2001, 09:10 PM
I prefer the NGK plugs. If not I would use the merc recomended heat range, but cross ovet to Autolite. Right now I'm using Autolite in my new big block, but will convert to NGK when it is sorted out. You see I'm sponsored by NGK on my race bike. The advantage is the NGK have a wide heat range. They take up the slack when going slow and cool of when running hard. I have the platinum in my Corsican and havn't changed them in over three years, it runs great. In realality Most plugs do a good job, Just don't make the mistake of going too cold of a heat range. It will feel fine for a while than economy will suffer and down hill from there.
What you have done to your engine wil make no difference in plugs or jetting. It just gives a little better mid range, top end,and fuel savings. If you get a good plug chop and send the plug or come down here to atlanta I'll be happy to help you pick the right heat eange. But I think you got it handled

Randy

DonziDave
04-20-2001, 10:30 PM
Thanks Randy!