PDA

View Full Version : 1969 16' Donzi for sale (needs restoring)

jaustill
03-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Sadly I have decided to part with my "baby". I purchased it in 1982,[I am going to try to find a hull number tomorrow, I think it is a 1969] at that time it had a 3 year old 255hp engine with a Volvo outdrive. A year later I installed trim tabs and had a new aluminum fuel tank installed.

The engine gave up about 7 years ago, right when I got married. I have finally decided I will not have time to refurbish it as I should.

If you would like to take on a project boat, please let me know. The boat is on a galvanized trailer, the upholstery is in very good condition, but she needs a new complete engine and outdrive, needs the deck painted, the chrome re-chromed etc. I have all of the original hardware. I'll post a recent picture here soon.

I have no idea what the boat is worth. Any help setting a fair price would be appreciated.
The boat is in Mobile, Alabama.

oldLenny
03-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Hurry with the pics! Toona, here's one for you.

Let's see, where is Alabama...hmmm...definately South...

ToonaFish
03-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Hush, Lenny... I'm exercising willpower.

And I do not need a project. Repeat, I do not need a project. I really do not need a project.

And not that I would be interested in a project, but what shade of blue is it?

And not that I would be interested in a project, but what happened to the drives?

And not that I would be interested in a project, but is it a safe assumption that it lived its life in salt?

And not that I would be interested in a project, but what would be the condition of the trailer?

And not that I would be interested in a project, but how are the stringers?

And not that I would be interested in a project, but posting photos would certainly help me think of an appropriate price to ask.

Bunches,

Celene 'turnkey, turnkey, turnkey'

abelchinewalker
03-23-2003, 11:44 AM
I may have an interest, let's hear more about it. Do you have any pictures of it? Any idea on a price?

Donnie Abel

jaustill
03-25-2003, 10:15 AM
I have attached a link to photgraphs I took in 1983. The boat DOES NOT look like these photos now. I tried to find a hull ID number, but it was removed when the balsa core deck was re-cored with a foam core. I am going to get some current pictures in the next day or two of the outside and inside of the hull and bilge etc.
I still have the Volvo outdrive but no engine parts. I have all of the other hardware.

The OLD 1983 photo's are here now http://austill.org/donzi/

DOND
03-25-2003, 11:36 AM
It does not look like a 1969. With the floor vent,vent on transom,horizontal gauge cluster and lack of deck vents I would say it is a 1965-1967.
Don

jaustill
03-25-2003, 12:00 PM
It very well might be an earlier model. When I bought it the owner was not sure what year it was and guessed 1969. Is the hull number anywhere on the hull itself or is it just under the deck near the gauges?

jaustill
03-25-2003, 12:27 PM
After looking at the information here it must be a 1964 or 1965. It has a functional Louvered Vent in the Center of the Deck, just above the transom and a Register Vent in the base of the rear seat. It also has metal scripts on the rear sides of the hull which spell out "Donzi Marine."

I just wish I could find a hull number somewhere.

CDMA
03-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Yes 64(?) 65 or 66. Seems to me real early ones are missing hull numbers more often then not. I would guess that is a later 65 or 66 based on the hardware and it is a volvo not an Eaton drive.

Nice early example

Chris

jaustill
03-25-2003, 03:12 PM
The Volvo 280 outdrive is part of a 1978 255 Ford Commander engine and outdrive combination. It is not the original outdrive.

BERTRAM BOY
03-25-2003, 03:47 PM
I also don't see any "clamshell" vents. Another sign that this would be an early boat.
Another place that the hull number "might" be,is on the blacking block for the boweye. So grab a flashlight and start crawling up there.
Are you really sure you want to sell it?

BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Dredgeking
03-25-2003, 04:39 PM
i just bought a damn donzi, but i can't wait to see pics. hell, i might even be interested.

MOP
03-25-2003, 05:06 PM
I bet that Volvo drive is still good! Someone should buy it and get one of those nice little 300+ SB's and go Donzing!

oldLenny
03-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Put a price to it...let the "bidding" begin. :D

mattyboy
03-25-2003, 07:34 PM
I would have thought CDMA you start the bidding :confused: :rolleyes: wink or one of the other multi donzi owners to complete the set :p
can you say lil pumpkin or would that be squash????
Nice boat think twice before you let her get away!!!

Matt

Rootsy
03-25-2003, 07:46 PM
c'mon Toona!!! you know you want it! swindle pearson into the paint, griz for the power and CDMA into everything else! you'll have a complete boat in NO TIME AT ALL wink

on second thought... maybe I need a project...

how much is the question... let the pricing commence!

jaustill
03-25-2003, 07:46 PM
I love the boat, but with the wife and kids (1 wife and 4 kids under 7years) I have to stop deluding myself that I will ever get time to restore the boat.

Don't forget, the pictures are how the boat looked when I was playing with it. When the engine finally gave out, I started getting it ready to repaint, rechrome, repower, etc. and then came 1 wife and 4 kids.

I just hate to see the boat sitting in the drive on the trailer all these years.

I have no clue what to ask for it, is $35,000 to high? ;-) Is $10.00 to low? :-(

Recent pictures coming soon, probably this weekend.

DOND
03-25-2003, 11:42 PM
Jaustill, I agree with CDMA on the year. The only place those years had a hull number was behind the dash.My 69 has the foil tag behind the back cushion in the cockpit.Years ago I had a 65 and I remember finding a date on a tag attached to the fuel tank. You should have a sight glass gauge in the floor, it was near that.
Don

BERTRAM BOY
03-26-2003, 06:46 AM
Okay,
There seems to be some misinformation going around on where to find hull numbers. While there are no hard and fast rules on this subject, this seems to be how it went.

64-very early 66....... usually no hull number

66-67 Majic marker behind the dash,and on the backing block for the boweye. Sometimes a foil tag on the back seat.

68- Majic marker behind the dash, or underneath the deck. Almost always a foil tag.

Now to throw a monkey wrench in, some boats had a piece of cardboard with the hull number glassed to one of the stringers up front......

MOP
03-26-2003, 07:29 AM
It is so nice to know there is such uniformity in placing the hull numbers :D Were those Fla boys smoking the Evil Weed during construction and marking :confused:

CDMA
03-26-2003, 07:39 AM
Damn Aronow and his lack of documentation...

Chris

Ok that makes 14 hours sleep in the last 4 days...why do I do this?

BERTRAM BOY
03-26-2003, 04:14 PM
to rule the world?

Music Man
03-26-2003, 09:24 PM
It seems there is some "value" in this boat. Those that are more experienced know the value. It's alwyas a fine line to let the seller know what he has, and the buyer that hopes to buy it at a "bargin."

I sense that even though no $$$$$ have been posted, this boat may be worth something because of it's heritage??

Tony
03-26-2003, 09:47 PM
It's only worth something to someone who recognizes and appreciates the heritage...which narrows the field of potential buyers to about nil. If there's 200 of us, and about 200 million citizens, is that .0001 percent?

BERTRAM BOY
03-27-2003, 06:42 AM
No offense to the seller, but I don't beleive that because of the boats age that will command a "premium" price. The fact is, it's not THAT rare. The pics look nice, but he said that it doesn't look like that anymore, plus it needs a motor, a drive, probabaly steering, gauges, a gas tank, etc. etc. I'm would say anywhere between 2500-4000. That also depend on alot of other stuff, like the condition of the coring, stringers, etc, etc.......

ToonaFish
03-27-2003, 02:20 PM
I'm in agreement with my astrological brother, Cliff, though I think he's a bit generous in his estimate. This probably belongs in another section, but as a consumer you must factor what you will be spending for cosmetics and bringing it back to operational status against the boat's market value at completion. And, ahem, you must not let emotion ever come into play... yea, right!

I've seen an awful lot of lovingly restored cars and boats that the owners are way too heavily invested in... and they will never recoup a tenth of what they've spent. I think this boat is comparable to Lenny's that he bought from the Harbormaster, probably worth a bill to a bill and a half... but emotional value may bump that a bit. It's a nice piece of history and I hope she finds a worthy home.

Bunches,

Celene 'betting she ran in Pensacola at some point'

BERTRAM BOY
03-27-2003, 03:34 PM
Celene, Madpoodle only missed us by a day.....His day is the 7th.

In the northland, praying my astrological sister doesn't get "sucked in".

<small>[ March 27, 2003, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: BERTRAM BOY ]</small>

ToonaFish
03-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Don't worry Brother Cliff, I want something that I can splash... not look at. This would be the perfect second boat for someone, though... one day when I can have my own navy, she'd be exactly what I'd have follow me home.

(Unless, that is, we can get Pearson to do the paint, Griz to do the engine, and CDMA to do the rest... but can you imagine those committee meetings?)

DonziNUTS
03-28-2003, 09:23 AM
Hell....If you post some pictures of what it looks like now....I might just start the bidding! I am currently looking at a 1965 sweet 16 in Jersey. Sounds like the same condition! But this guy has two outdrives and four props to go with it....I think he is going to take my offer of 1,000? But I am always looking for projects!

So take some pictures!!! :D
So where is ALA....what? Should I start saying "RUN FORREST....RUN"

jaustill
03-29-2003, 04:28 PM
I just took some inside hull and exterior pictures. I will upload them to http://austill.org/donzi/ Monday morning and post here when they are ready.

I am in Mobile, Alabama. The author of Forrest Gump lives just east of Mobile Bay. I think Forrest grew up around here somewhere.

Air 22
03-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Have a price yet?

Cliff and Chris you two can only watch the bidding.. :D u Donzi collection addicts :D

BERTRAM BOY
03-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Dwight,
I already have 3 boats in my yard, Am I ready for a 4th?

jaustill
03-31-2003, 10:28 AM
I have posted the current pictures of the 1964 or 1965 Donzi here along with the ones I took in 1983 http://www.austill.org/donzi/

The louvered vent was removed and glassed in when the boat was repainted in the late 1980's.

I will get photos of the interior cushions soon. They are in very good to excellent condition.

I still have the Volvo 280 outdrive.

Donzi Dreaming
03-31-2003, 08:17 PM
Any more pics? What do you have of the drive train? Motor? Manifolds? Bellhousing? Gimble? Can you get pics of them if you have them? Would like to see the interior that you have also. What was the boat painted with? What condition are the stringers and the transom in? Are they soft?

John

<small>[ March 31, 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Donzi Dreaming ]</small>

Chrish
04-07-2003, 04:54 PM
3 pages of posts and still no price!?

Donzi Dreaming
04-16-2003, 09:36 PM
What happened to this boat?

John

knee deep
04-17-2003, 06:46 AM
I don't know they say three's a crowd but my 18 wants a little sister.........

Of course the Z33 might not like the competition for attention........

I sure hope the significant other doesn't know what I am thinking.........

How many boats do you have to own before its a confirmed addiction??

Price???