PDA

View Full Version : Classic 18 for LI waters

NYStockboy
09-15-2002, 01:49 PM
Hello everyone, I am a guy who grew up with boats as a result of a childhood on Long Island, NY. I now live in Manhattan, but my parents still have their home on the water in Merrick, LI. I am seriously looking for a Donzi and have been pushed by the dealers towards a 22 ZX, their rationale being that the ZX series is better for the bay saltwaters than the Classic series. Although I like the ZX, the Classic 18 or 22 are the boats that I am really interested in. I grew up lusting after those boats when I was a teenager. Are the Classic 18 or 22 appropriate boats for the bay waters around Freeport LI, to be used as a fun and safe runabout for my family?
Thanks very much for everyone's help.
Ken

BigGrizzly
09-15-2002, 02:04 PM
Gehat YOU want they will sell you anything the can. My son Loves his 22ZX and I love my 22 Criterion(classic hull) and my 18 Corsican (classic hull). I grew up on the eastern seaboard and have spent many hours with our 16 in the ocean, more than 200 hours at least on th ocan alone. T all grat boats. Try both and get what you like. Personally the Classice look better to me. They look what a sport boat is suppose to look like. They are also the mosr sought after boat in the used circles.

MLerner
09-15-2002, 04:27 PM
Like you, I live in Manhattan and use my Classic 18 around Shelter Island near Sag Harbor. To my mind, the boat is perfect for those water -- assuming you like the occasional spray of those waters in your face. Driving an 18, I've discovered, isn't just putting it in gear and going. It's a sport, where taking a wave (or a mean stink pot wake) is an art. If your family likes adventure, I say go for the timeless, classic look of a timeless Classic!

MOP
09-15-2002, 06:21 PM
Hi NYStockBoy glad you took my advice to come up onto the site. I think after getting the feed back from the guys up here you will go the way of the Classic! Good luck no matter which DONZI you buy!

P.S. Check post "18's and salt - fresh water!"

NYStockboy
09-15-2002, 07:31 PM
Hi everybody, thanks for all your help. One more question. Which is the most appropriate engine for the Classic 18, the Mag 350 or the MX 6.2? I understand that with the Mag 350, only the Alpha Drive is available, where with the MX 6.2, the Bravo 1 Drive is available. Is that meaningful? Is the MX 6.2 overkill for that size boat if I don't want to go crazy, just have a cool, quick sportboat for my family? What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Ken

boldts
09-15-2002, 08:22 PM
NYS - I don't live on the coast of an ocean, but to my North is one of the closest fresh water lakes to an ocean you'll ever find. It's call Lake Erie and because it is a shallow lake, the slightest wind really blows it up. I love taking my Classic to that lake because flying the swells is not a maybe, it's a for sure! Weather for the day determines how big or small the swells are for the day.

I've driven an 18 Classic, and most recently, our new 22 Classic on these waters and yes, I've had occasions where the water came over the bow and soaked the passengers. It doesn't happen often and most of the time is because I made a mistake in the way I drove the boat. Point is, I've never had an occasion where the boat didn't get me back to the launch ramp safely!

The ZX boats have more freeboard than the Classics, but not as much angle on the V. The ZX is obviously a more practical boat for storage and family use. My wife has often times wished we had a cabin to take cover in for her and our 5 yr. old daughter. Both models can be made to run very fast with engine upgrades.

In conclusion, ask your family and yourself what is important in the boat. I'm bios, but the ZX to me is like half a dozen other boat companies go fast boats except for the name on the side. No one makes a boat like the Donzi Classic although there have been companies who have tried! When Beth and I were looking at moving up to a 22' Classic, I simply asked her which boat she wanted. A 26' ZX or a 22' Classic. Money wise, you can buy a lot more ZX for the same money you will spend on a Classic. My wife's answer? Take a look at the picture below! :D

On your next question, get the Bravo1 outdrive and it doesn't matter which engine you put in front of it.

Greg Maier
09-15-2002, 08:42 PM
Hey MLERNER,
This is a powerboat message board. You can't use the term Stink Pot! The correct term is Motor Yacht. The term Stink Pot is only for the sailboaters message boards ! LOL

Tony
09-15-2002, 09:55 PM
NY Stockboy,

Any luck with your decision and search for a Donzi? Be sure to keep us updated.

BTW, does your name have anything to do with your profession? If it does you probably lost enough money in the last year and a half to buy a dozen Donzis!

NYStockboy
09-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Hi everybody, thanks for your replies. Yes, my screenname does have to do with my professon. I am a stock boy at the local supermarket in the dairy department. No seriously folks, I am a stockbroker and yes it has been a tough couple of years, but definitively not as tough as for some.
God Bless America and God Bless New York!
Thanks,
Ken

MOP
09-16-2002, 07:20 AM
Don't shun boats with Cobra drives they a near bullet proof, many think alot more reliable than the Mercs. If you check through the posts there are shops that buy all the Mercs they can get there hands on but don't buy the OMC units because they don't break.

RICPAZ
09-16-2002, 07:57 AM
I have a 22ZX that I use on western LI Sound. It is a great boat for these waters, especially during those windy days where the waves can pick up quite a bit. It is an entirely different boat than a Classic. The ZX (I think) is more practical, you have a cuddy, more freeboard so you will stay drier, a nice big sunpad for lying out and relaxing, a swim platform which comes in very handy, especially if you have kids or so a lot of swimming and just more space and room to move about. But the Classic is sooo timeless and classy plus the used boat morket for these is hot.

I personally like the ZX's for use in the sound and ocean, but that's just me. In the end, be sure to get what you and your family want, not what the dealer wants.

RICPAZ
09-16-2002, 07:58 AM
By the way... whichever boat you get...go with the Bravo outdrive!

NYStockboy
09-16-2002, 09:52 PM
Thanks to Mark from Jacksonville Florida for e-mailing me so much information on the advisability of getting the 6/2MX engine over the 350 Mag in the Classic 18. This is the setup he has and he did a lot of sensible research to make his determination and I thank him for allowing me to benefit from that research. Will be going to the Tobay Boat Show in NY at the end of September and will try hard to come to Sarasota.
Ken

NYStockboy
09-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Hey everybody. Waiting for the 2003 pricing from the dealer on the 18 Classic with the 6.2 MX.
I will keep in touch as I go down this road.
Thanks,
Ken