PDA

View Full Version : ready.... set....... cut (x-dimension)

WOT-sup
09-15-2002, 01:31 PM
Finally got my 18' is at the shop (H20 Marine, Sarasota) and this week to have the transom cut. Going to remain on the lower end of the food-chain and stick with the Alpha drive, at least in this incarnation.

Decision time on the X-dimension. Donzi says '14.5 inches' is standard and recommended (thanks for the same afternoon response Bryant, now that's customer service!). Mercruiser says 22" (trusting memory) vertical height for most SBC. I want to keep the engine hatch uncut (no scoop added), so engine vertical height will be the limitation for 'X'. Shop is recommending minimal increase from the 14.5" recommendation.

NEW twist...we have decided that while noise is good, we can for see there would be times that quite would be desirable and will likely end up with a Silent Choice or similar. It appears these systems typically fit within the vertical profile of a SBC, am I right on this??

Someday would like to install a 350(build-up or crate) to about 300HP with Stainless Marine mfld/risers, Silent Choice and still keep the flame arrestor under an 'original' (uncut) hatch.

With all that in mind, what do you say experts: "X dimension should be ___?????????????????"

The cut is planned for the beginning of next week.

Brad

harbormaster
09-15-2002, 01:44 PM
Don't let your hatch be a limitation. Make a copy of your hatch and cut the copy. I am working on some affordable reproduction hatches.

Walleye raised his x dimension with his surface drive and the difference is dramatic!

Kent Perroux
09-17-2002, 07:11 PM
I went 16" on with my Bravo drive (18 classic). Already had a hood scoop for the flame arrester, now having to modify a bit for the distributor unless I put a crab style....

Not sure about performance yet....pictures and details forthcoming...

Kent

GeneD
09-21-2002, 09:18 AM
Saw the boat at H2O, he's one of my clients.
Just an afterthought...
I own the jigs to do exactly what you are doing. You might have posted, and you and I could have done it for NOTHING!!!!!
Sorry, really didn't want to pour salt in your wound! But...you know?
BTW, boat looks good. I'm a bit disappointed you decided to cut the floor out in leiu of removing the deck to replace your fuel tank. Hopefully you have reserved the services of a good glass man to put that back together?
Good Luck! It's going to be great when you are done!

WOT-sup
09-30-2002, 06:18 PM
GeneD,
Just got access to a computer and saw your post. Thanks for the offer and encouragement. This project reflects litle money and far less available time to work on it (year and half so far). Tend to move fwd when able, as able. Will take you up on the offer for assistsance at some point, thanks. Yes, I do have a good glass man overseeing this project. He's confident on the outcome. Completion is a way off, but man, am I looking forward to it.

See you this weekend,
Brad