PDA

View Full Version : Foot Throttle

Rodger
12-01-2002, 08:55 PM
Any one here use a foot throttle or have any opinions on them? It seems that in rough water it would be the way to go. I just pulled the engine from my F22 today and am thinking about how I want to put it back together for next season, and a foot throttle seems interesting.

Kent Perroux
12-01-2002, 09:33 PM
I have one in an 18 Classic.

Foot throttle takes getting used to (especially in rough water). I don't think I would recommend for a bigger boat. (If you have a heavy leg, and a torqey engine, rough water can be a B@#$$!)

smoothie
12-02-2002, 06:57 PM
I have one in my 20 cig and also the 16 that I had,both came that way from the factory,they are a toe,heel type and in rough water its nice to have both hands on the steering wheel,I dont have any trouble keeping my foot on the pedal and maintaining speed,it seems like there is alot of travel so its no so touchy in the rough stuff.

CDMA
12-02-2002, 07:16 PM
I run one in the 18. It is a love hate relationship. When I started with the non power steering Volvo I was not comforatble with one hand on the wheel. For that reason I installed the foot throttle. Since converting to Mercuiser with power steering I have not felt the foot throttle is as necessary as it once was however I still like it enough not to remove it.

While some people claim it is hard to modulate the foot throttle in rough water I have found the opposite. I find the foot throttle to be very easy to modulate in rough water. Running in the rough stuff I prefer it. However there are times where it is a pain. Long no wake zones and extended constant RPM cruising sometimes get annoying as the foot throttle is spring loaded so constant pressure is required.

The other issue I see with it is that in a RH helm boat there is no place to mount it without hacking up the footwell.

For now I have it more or less because it is there. Someday when I have some extra time ( hahaha) and money ( even funnier) I am going to look into one of the land and sea systems that lets you have a foot throttle but it is a slave to the still connected hand throttle. The best of both worlds...I hope.

Chris

Lead foot...

HyperDonzi
12-02-2002, 08:26 PM
What does that hand throttle do on boats with "Hot Foots"? Is it just a Forward and Reverse?

Kent Perroux
12-02-2002, 09:01 PM
I have both throttle cables, one for the hand throttle and one for the foot. Both work independently. I can cruise with the hand throttle and hit the foot throttle periodically without affecting the cruise setting.

I agree with CDMA, I prefer the foot throttle for the rough. I have quicker response and can keep both hands on the wheel. (although I think both hands on the whell help keep you in the boat also. )

David Ochs
12-03-2002, 12:04 AM
Rodger,
I have to second what Chris and Kent said. My boat has had both foot and hand throttle. I like them both, and having both would be nice. However if I had to choose, it wouuld be what is on it now, the hand throttle. To me it's kind of like cruise control, with the foot throttle you're kind of stuck sitting in that one position all the time. The other bummer is the space it absorbs on the floor of my not so big 16.

Donzified
12-03-2002, 10:49 AM
I feel that my foot throttle saves me alot of pounding in the rough stuff. I feel it gives me more control in the X 18.It is a pain in the a$$ in the no wake zones.Two hands on the wheel is the way to go.

Rodger
12-03-2002, 05:42 PM
Thanks everyone, for the responces. If I go to a foot throttle, it will be in conjunction with the hand unit also. I'm not favorably impressed with the price of Land and Sea's unit, therefore I'll probably design and fab one myself.

Looped
12-03-2002, 08:37 PM
Rodger,
Although Chris may not like the looks of these, this company offers the dual foot/hand throttle control. The foot control is spring loaded to keep the hand throttle back at your desirable cruising speed so that the foot can be used during those 2 handed moments. They told me that the foot control & splitter (that combines the two) will work on my Latham hand controls and many other standard hand throttles so that it is not just a proprietary setup to they’re controls.

http://www.specialtyservice.com

Craig

Rodger
12-04-2002, 06:06 AM
Craig,
Thanks for the info, I'll check them out.