PDA

View Full Version : Attn Everyone

HyperDonzi
11-30-2002, 11:06 PM
With all the traveling for the holidays coming up, you will most likeley be in a car more often. Wearing a seatbelt will increase the chances of being ok, only if the seatbelt is in working order. I went to a funeral today for a friend who passed away last Sunday in a car crash. Here is a story from the news paper on the accident:

"An Olentangy High School Senior was killed in a car crash on Chapman Road just southwest of US 23S sunday. His passenger is in fair condition this morning.

Donald J. Dill, 17 of 1557 Franklin St., Lewis Center, was driving north on Chapman Road about 6pm when he failed to negotiate a curve 1/2 mile south of US 23, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

A patrol report stated Dill was driving a 1993 Honda Del Sol which slid off the left side of the road and struck a large tree, splitting the car in half. The impact was at the driver's door.

The rear of the car slid across the right side of the then struck a ditch. The front continued on the left side of the road and collided with a series of trees. Dill who was ejected from the car, was pronounced dead at the scene.

A passenger, Erin M Davis, 15 was taken to Riverside Hospital then was moved to Childrens Hospital where she was listed as fair condition. She is an Olentangy Sophmore.

Davis may have survived the crash becase she was wearing a seatbelt. Dill was not wearing his.

THe vehicle had been lent to Dill just moments before the crash The speed of the vehicle was estimated at 80mph before the crash.

Olentangy High School Principal Mindy Farry said that councelors will be available for students. "

The part that was wrong is "Dill was not wearing his." He was wearing the seatbelt. I talked to Erin about it today and she said she helped him put it on. The reason it didnt look like he had it on was because it tore.

It is important to wear a WORKING SEATBELT whenever in a car.

Happy Holidays

Tommy

Fish boy
12-01-2002, 06:31 AM
Tommy, I know how hard it is to lose a close friend. I will keep you in my prayers.

Jody

Shanghied Again
12-01-2002, 09:21 AM
Tommy, Sorry for the lost of your friend. Seat belts are an important part of driving a car and yes everytime I look or think of my Family and friends I buckle up, I hate seat belts just like I hate Helmets on motorcycles, But I guess here is one of the reasons why. Again my heart goes out to the family and you. frown

HyperDonzi
12-01-2002, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the support. There is something to beleared from this. Check your seatbelts!!

AVickers
12-01-2002, 10:34 AM
I, too, am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. It's very sad.

But for those of us still living, there is a question... Why was he driving 80 MPH?

I have a 17 year-old and, although he thinks he can drive well; he can't -- and doesn't. This story strikes close to home for me. Bottom line is that it's very rare that someone who's been driving only a year or two can drive well enough to be going that fast even in a controlled environment: much less in a regular street environment in a borrowed car that has other cars in it, at dusk, with wide turns through which a car can slide before you know it (if the series of turns I'm thinking about is along the river near the Columbus Pike).

Again, it's sad and I'm sorry for your loss.

HyperDonzi
12-01-2002, 12:11 PM
It is a small country road, I think would be scary enough doing 80 through the strait part. Going fast is something that you want to do every day until you get your license. Im sure people on the board were faster than that at 17.

I think the reason he did it that fast was because he did the turn at 100 a few days prior.

McGary911
12-01-2002, 01:13 PM
I'm actually the one who got my parents to start wearing their belts. I'd think it would be the other way around, as my dad is a cop, and my mom an ER nursre. He scraped people off the road, and she saw them as they came into the ER. I had to bug the $hit out of them to start doing it, but happily, they're into the habit now. I started wearing my belt when i started driving my car on a track, and I just got used to it.
Tommy, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. It's crazy the first time you lose someone close. All I can say is that somehow it gets a bit better over time, don't know how or why, but it seems to. We buried a 28 year old friend about the same time your friend happened...still waiting for the better.
Good tip on the seat belt thing.