PDA

View Full Version : Buying Z21, have questions

MattM
12-06-2003, 10:05 PM
A few months ago I began searching for a Regazza 19 for a dock beater to suppliment the C18.

Didn't find one, but found a Z21 instead. I have a few questions:

1. The side exit exhaust is too loud (never thought I'd say that), for the kids and wife to enjoy playing with it. There appears to be an exhaust passage out to the alpha drive on the outside of the transom plate but there was too much in the way to see the inside. Are all alpha drives capable of through hub exhaust?

2. Is somebody currently making the small brushed stainless DONZI hull stickers like on the '87 vintage boats and the larger ones with the crests from the '89 and up boats?

3. Is that a good wakeboard boat, and good enough ski boat? What issues might I run in to expecting that?

4. Boat VIN is DMRZA0094B747, boat is supposed to be '87, is this correct?

5. Boat has yellow/ brown stains blotchy all over the light grey top side, they seem to sand through, but wouldn't come off w/ rubbing compound. Will FSR or some other product take this off?

6. Finally, boat has part of a speed coat or bottom paint on it. Is there a remover I can use to get it off w/out damaging the gell?

Thanks, Matt

Donzigo
12-07-2003, 09:14 AM
I've owned a 1987 Z-25 and currently own a 1989 Z-33. I've loved them both. I often have "sellers remorse"; but, the boat went to one of the nicest guys on this board, Dennis Bosch, in Vermont. I totaly remodeled that Z-25 and am just about finished with the Z-33. I have done all the work myself. I love the lines and performance of this Donzi series.

to your questions:

1. The exhaust can be re-routed to the outdrive with the installation of a Y-PIPE. It will require engine removal to do it. Cots: probably 8 hours x hourly rate for the romoval and then the cost of the Y-PIPE (about $400) plus that installation.

2. Stickers are available from either Richard Weaver, Maine, who is on this board, or from Donzi themselves for the larger ones.

3. The Z-21 is an excellent wakeboard & ski boat. It planes at about 2,000 rpm and makes a sizable wake for the kids to wakeboard. It will be a rough ride in open water, such as the ocean; because of it's short length to weight ratio. The Z-25 is a much better choice for the ocean.

4. VIN #DMRZA0094B747: That number is incorrect. Have the guy check it again. Here's how to read it.
DMR - Donzi Marine Racing

ZA - Z Series boat, Model A = 21 footer.

0094 - There should only be 3 numbers, not 4. My guess is that it's 094, meaning it's the 94th boat of of the mold.

B7 - Meaning that it came out of the mold on Febuary of 1987, A = Jan, B = Feb, C = March etc.

47 - It is not a 1947 boat, That number is "87", not "47", meaning that it is a 1987 model year boat.

5. Stains - They are most probably stains from trailering or from storing it in a high & dry and boats above it dropping either rust or salt water on the boat. Getting it off. Who knows?

6. Bottom paint. Nothing I know to get it off easy. It's a difficult project for sure. Get ready to get dirty or reach deep in the pockets to pay someone else to do it.

Ok, a couple of things you didn't ask. Have the boat checked out for stringer rot. The Z-series were famous for that. It goes without saying that you would check the age and condition of the exhaust manifolds, etc, since you know own a Donzi, right?

Considering the members of this board, I could hardly say I'm an authority on these or any other Donzi boats; but, you can call me at 727-867-7020 if I could help further.

Good luck,

Richard

harbormaster
12-07-2003, 10:16 AM
For the stains, try using McGuires Hot wheels spray mag wheel cleaner. It really works.

wintersux
12-08-2003, 08:18 AM
I have an 88 22Z with the side exhaust. It is very loud. I have the y pipe on my motor, but I installed inline mufflers and it made a huge difference, but you can still enjoy the mellow sound of the exhaust. Better than removing the motor and going through the expense and hassle of the R&R of the powerplant. You will have other things you want to do when you have the motor out. Mine is the 7.4/Bravo 1. It skis well, haven't had a wakeboarder behind it. No structural problems with mine to this date. I did remove passenger bucket seat and installed a bench to make an L shape which made the cockpit seem much larger. Mine is for sale because wife wanted a sit down pot. I liked my 22Z alot. Don't want to go to the bigger boat.