PDA

View Full Version : Marine Surveyors??

38zxdreamin'
12-05-2003, 06:24 PM
I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with Marine Surveyors, and if they think that is money worth spending. Some of the boats I am interested in are in various parts of the country, and I don't want to waste my time travelling to find a boat that is in less than ideal condition. Just curious as to some experiences. Sorry for the in-experienced questions, just trying to make sure I do everything right on this big of a purchase.

Thanks
Corey

Ranman
12-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Surveyors are well worth the money. I wouldn't buy a boat (especially a big one) with out a survey. The problem is finding a thorough surveyor. If there's a boat in a particular area that you're interested in, I would see if a member from the board lives in the area. We're all pretty good about helping each other out and you'll usually find someone who can peruse the boat for you. If the member says it looks good and you're still interested, then hire a surveyor. This will help you from having to pay for surveys every time you find a boat. Also, post a thread here first. Lots of the members here know of a good surveyor in their area they can recommend. At least that way you're not hiring someone totally blind.

MOP
12-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Corey I can cover you on Long Island in NY, I am former marine tech now a yacht broker but also surveyed myself years back. I also have a moisture meter I can borrow at will, another thing take oil samples of engines and drives. Most marine chain stores have the kits on hand. You will still need a qualified surveyor to finish up.

Phil

mphatc
12-05-2003, 07:50 PM
A good marine surveyor is worth their weight in gold!

They can ID items that will help you to negotiate a better price, and ID those items that will need attention before using the boat.

Or the other way around, you might find a perfect boat, and the survey may establish a value greater than the asking price! A good surveyor will respect who hired him and shouldn't share that info with the seller.

In my case I was able to get insurance for a classic boat far above book value without any difficulties as a result of the survey.

From the surveyor you should recieve a thorough written description of everything they find, along with pictures of the details, good and bad. My surveyor also prepared a copy for the insurance company, a copy for me personally that detailed necessary action items, a CD of ~ 100 digital images, all for $9.00 per foot.

Oil analysis was optional at additional cost.

Good Luck!
MPHATC
69 Corsican

38zxdreamin'
12-06-2003, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the information folks, it is good to know that there is a family so-to-speak of people to help me in my boat buying process.

I will definitely inform the board of what boats I am looking at and get ideas and opinions from people in the area, and folks willing to lend a hand.

Thanks A Bunch!!!
Corey Graham

Shanghied Again
12-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Codey at Typhoon in NJ they have a 1999 38ZX with 525 SCs that is in excelent condition low low hours. This guy owned 3 boats and his favorite was the 35ZF The 38 still has the packing paper on the microwave and the tv they were never used. if interested let me know. The price is 169,000

38zxdreamin'
12-07-2003, 08:07 AM
I would be interested. Although I have been trying to stay newer than 2000, it would definitely be worth checking out.

Corey

Digger
12-07-2003, 07:47 PM
Corey, I would pile on with the above comments. I would not make a purchase of this kind w/out a complete out of water survey. Also make sure he is accredited by an association such as NAMS or the like (Nat. Assoc. of Marine Surveyors) It is cheap insurance. If you end up finding a boat in South Carolina coast area let me know I will put you in touch with the guy I used