PDA

View Full Version : BIG POWER 38ZX???

38zxdreamin'
12-03-2003, 04:57 PM
With all the things I have kept up with in offshore boats, I have never heard of a Donzi with big power.
I was wondering if any of you guys had heard of or seen a ZX with lets say 800 or more ponies??
I know there has been a ZR or two with some healthy motors, but still nothing radical.
I would love to see what these hulls are capable of when mated to some serious mills. eek!

Corey

RedDog
12-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Hey Dreaming - standard power is 940 HP in a 38 ZX luxury hull, so what do you mean you are looking for more than 800?

Last Tango
12-03-2003, 08:10 PM
I have nothing important to add to this thread, but I was just wondering if you two guys are talking PER MOTOR or TOTAL for BOTH motors. Seems to me the 38ZR comes with the 525EFI Motors. Aren't those at least 500HP EACH? Just curious which way this conversation was headed.

38zxdreamin'
12-03-2003, 08:31 PM
I guess I should clarify that, I am talking 800 or more PER MOTOR totalling 1600hp. I can see where you guys probably thought I had lost it. Be like wanting a 38ZX with twin small blocks :rolleyes:

I would love to have a pair of the new 800efi's offered by Teague Custom Marine, but am wondering how the hulls are gonna' perform with big power.

Corey

RedDog
12-03-2003, 08:49 PM
I was messing with you Dreaming - I figured you meant per motor. The Donzi site lists max HP for the 38 ZX at 1100 HP; the ZR at 2000 HP. Would the factory install more HP in the ZX? Anyway you look at it its not likely I'll ever see anything close....

Ranman
12-03-2003, 09:11 PM
Hello? Donzi? Yeah, about the 38ZX I've got on order. You see, these motor guys out here in my neighborhood of Milford Michigan are insisting that I try a pair of their mills. Yeah, uh huh, their name's Sterling, maybe you've heard of them? They're going to be sending a pair down to you for installation. OK, great, bye now.

...in my dreams

Rootsy
12-03-2003, 09:28 PM
yeah and they only rate the 16 at 260 and the 18 at 350 pshp... wink

Walt. H.
12-04-2003, 12:58 AM
When it comes to factory production
Three words kills it=> Lawyers and product liability! :mad:

Ummmmmmmmmm !!!!!

Frustrated without H/P and summer weather,

Walt :)

33 Daytona
12-04-2003, 07:18 AM
38dreamin'

I too have always wanted to see a hopped up 33 or 38. Your question about if the hull could handle the extra power... YES. Here is why come to that conclusion. When I had my 28 I though about repowering it with a 800hp (single) and talket to Steve Simon at Donzi and he didn't think there would be any tye of problems but told me to call Bob Teauge just for sure since he has tested Donzi's extensively. I told him upfont that I would not be ordering the engine from him but would the boat handle the extra power. He said easyly. So after this lengthly explanation, I come to the conclusion a 38 would be able to handle an extra 600hp if my old 28 could handle an extra 200 hp

integra
12-04-2003, 07:51 AM
I think so, standard engines are very "little" if compared with other boats like Cigarette 38 T.G. or Outer Limits... :)

Dredgeking
12-04-2003, 08:19 AM
the zx is a school bus. why throw a bunch of power into and have diminishing returns. the zx is meant to be comfortable and look cool, not be an all out race / poker run boat. the zr doesn't need huge power to make it run fast. the hull is much more efficient. i'd be a bit nervous about SUPER HUGE power in a zr only because every hull has a max design speed and going above that will cause some handling deficiencies.

38zxdreamin'
12-04-2003, 08:29 AM
"the zx is a school bus. why throw a bunch of power into and have diminishing returns. the zx is meant to be comfortable and look cool, not be an all out race / poker run boat. the zr doesn't need huge power to make it run fast. the hull is much more efficient. i'd be a bit nervous about SUPER HUGE power in a zr only because every hull has a max design speed and going above that will cause some handling deficiencies"

That cracks me up coming from someone who's signature says you can never have too much power wink

I guess the reason I am asking, is because I think the 38ZX would be an awesome poker-run boat. Granted it's not an OL :( , but it is a comfortable boat with a fairly effecient hull considering it's speed to weight ratio on fairly mild power.
I would love to see a 38 run high 90's to low 100's. Now that would make a scene :D :D

Corey

integra
12-04-2003, 08:33 AM
ok, but it's strange that the 38 ZR is offered with the same max power of the 33 zx!! wink

CDMA
12-04-2003, 09:13 AM
Corey,

I think it could be done. A Zx won't be as fast as a zr but then again it will have a cabin. I know the factory has built one with at least twin 600hp engines. I believe that boat ran upper 80's and ran pretty well. Keep in mind that boat responds well to extension boxes with big power.

Chris

daboys
12-04-2003, 10:22 AM
Hey, As a member of the ZX family I take offense to my ZXO being called a school bus, would prefer to be thought of as a limo, not designed for maximum speed but not all the action occurs above the water line.

mjpcowboy
12-04-2003, 11:06 AM
I talked to Steve Simon in September and he indicated that he would put any motors I wanted (within reason) in a ordered 38ZX. In addition he was going to paint a total custom design on the boat. I did not have an opportunity to close the deal before his terrible accident. I am not certain what the companys response would be now but at the time no problem with big power in the 38ZX.
The 38ZX has to be the fastest "school bus" I have ever been in. It may not be the fastest boat top end but I will run with anyone with the same power same size in a rough weekend in the Ozarks and hold my own. Remember the boat needs to be in the water to be fast!!!

38zxdreamin'
12-04-2003, 11:23 AM
I was thinking the same, I have talked with several people who have nicely loaded Formula 382s with 500's, they aren't running any better than the 38ZX with same power.
The 382 is the same hull as their factory II race boat. I'll take a school bus that will perform like that anyday!! :cool:

Corey

bverd
12-04-2003, 03:09 PM
I remember this boat at the 2001 Owners Rally in Sarasota. It has 630 Inovations that were putting out some pretty serious HP. This guy was running mid 80's until he blew his drives out. eek! If nothing else they were loud as hell when he fired them up in the Hyatt marina at 2:30am.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/38zx_inovation.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/38zx_inovation2.jpg

Somewhere I think I have a picture of a 38zx with 900's in it, but I can't find it.

--bverd

38zxdreamin'
12-04-2003, 04:46 PM
That boat is actually for sale right now, I am going to Florida in the near future to look at it. I think the asking price is 248000, which is a little pricey, but the longer he sits on it, I think the price will start to come back to reality.

Corey

bverd
12-04-2003, 04:59 PM
I will be careful with my words but I think it to be accurate if one was to say he drove that boat "HARD". Just my $.02

--bverd

38zxdreamin'
12-04-2003, 07:35 PM
That was a feeling that I had. Like I say, I'm going to LOOK right now. I don't any chance that someone is going to pay what he is asking. Maybe in 6months or so, he will get the price down to a more reasonable range.
Thanks for the tip, that is good to know as well.

Corey

Trueser
12-04-2003, 08:11 PM
You need power this is available!!!!

1985 Cougar US1

Triple 900 hp

This boat is perfect.looks brand new.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cougar.jpg

I can get more pictures if interested.

Trueser

Cuda
12-04-2003, 08:35 PM
I think the reason you don't see big power ZX's, is because with their wide beam and fairly heavy weight, they are never going to run with the more narrow beamed lighter boats. Same deal with Formula, you never see a 382 with twin 1000 Sterlings.

CrackerJack
12-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Turn up the audio!!!!!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/hp6001.mpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/hp6002.mpg

A classic serenade. biggrin.

38zxdreamin'
12-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Man it seems like forever since I have heard something that good. This winter thing is kicking my a$$, and we've just barely had a freeze. :rolleyes:
What kind of power does that classic have?

I have to admit, when I first noticed the classics, I didn't care for them much, but after lurking around here for a good while, that is going to be my next boat after the ZX, a 22 limited edition/HP500 :D

terry
12-05-2003, 08:46 AM
That sound's weak! Whats in that thing a V-6?

mattyboy
12-05-2003, 08:47 AM
38zxdreamin':

What kind of power does that classic have?

I have to admit, when I first noticed the classics, I didn't care for them much, but after lurking around here for a good while, that is going to be my next boat after the ZX, a 22 limited edition/HP500 :D Dreamin I think that 22 is just a stock 350 mag with a an aplha eek! :p ( sorry HP600SC I couldn't help myself). and some here including myself believe your thinking is backwards, classic first zx next wink :D

damn it's winter what the heck is it too early to start the zx classic thingy eek!

Matty
hot toddy,roasted chestnuts,checking my list....

undertaker
12-05-2003, 06:01 PM
Hey dreamin what happen to your 2002 33ZX with twin 500efi's deal? Just curious eek! biggrin.

38zxdreamin'
12-05-2003, 06:18 PM
I'm still keeping that as an option, and right now that is my first choice. I'm in the middle of a extensive remodel of our home, so I told my wife I would wait till after we are finished before I signed any papers. In all probability that will be the boat we end up with, but I still want to search the market to see what is available. Probably won't sign any papers till Feb. or March.

Corey

BigGrizzly
12-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Cuda, There is one of thoes Formulas here on Lake Lanier that was sold from Tal Marine that now has twin 1100 Grimes Twister motors in it. He was the guy who had my Criterion when it was stock. Two years ago on the way to Tomahak's hous we ran and I beat him ( with the stock hp500)than he installed the new ones and now I can't but I do know what his exhaust tips look like. He claims low mid 90's. He does have a GPS speedo on it. There out there you just have to look and pay. The motors arn't cheap. That's like some idiot putting a 650+ engine in a Criterion, ummm never mind