PDA

View Full Version : Do Driver Showers really slow you down????

G - FORCE 88
11-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Hey guys,
I just read a post about drive showers actually doing bad than good. Anyone have experience with this? I have a Drive shower on my 22Classic(bravo)
DOes it slow you down and why would it? Please any info would be valuable.
Thanks
Jon :D

Speed-Racer
12-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Force,

We have one on the 16' and it does not slow it down, however there is drag created from it, but not enough to see any serious MPH loss. Unless your really running your engine/drive at wide open throttle all the time, have an old drive, or you have a high horse power motor to small drive(ie 454 to an Alpha), I don't see a need for it...

Works best as a sea-weed collector :p

BUIZILLA
12-01-2003, 07:57 PM
I have one on each boat so far. I have ZERO chalking now. Before, it was noticeable, chalking in salt water is directly from heat seperation. I saw NO speed decrease whatsoever. Mine are Alpha's. As far as i'm concerned, it's doing as advertised.

J

smoothie
12-01-2003, 09:01 PM
You may want to do a search on this one,its been kicked around a few times,from what I remember the folks from the north said it would slow ya down in the spring and fall from the oil being to thick from the cool water,but the folks from the south said they never noticed any change in speed. wink

Tomahawk
12-01-2003, 10:25 PM
G Man - your topic title asks about driver showers. Yes, a driver shower will slow you down. I can personally atest to that as I got a driver shower at Lake Eufaula when I cut behind the Bad Tat Blackhawk. Took a little flak from my passenger due to the unexpected move. It was refreshing though.
My boat also has a drive shower. Doesn't seem to slow it down but have no before and after comparisons to verify for sure. I feel better having it though.

Last Tango
12-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Ya gotta be kidding! Slow you down? Theoretically, anything dragging in the water will slow you down. But, honestly! Drive shower pick-ups are about the diameter of an ink pen and extend below the cavitation plate about a 3/8". How much drag can that POSSIBLY invoke on 300 HP V8 powered boat? In that case, you must subtract the drag of the facial area of the intake opening. Maybe some marine enginering whiz on this board can make those calculations. I have had a drive shower on my 2001 C18, with B1 drive and MX6.2MPI power, for over 3 years now. Haven't noticed any problem with speed reduction. And absolutely no chalking. Been in salt water and fresh water. Been at sea level and in mountain lakes. No outdrive problems due to overheating. Might have been the same without it, but so far the drive shower has earned its keep.