PDA

View Full Version : Paint project

Cuda
11-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Ok, I'm diving in blind, but I'm going to try my hand at painting. Mind you I've never held a paint gun in my hand before. I went out this morning and bought a compressor and a paint gun kit.

All I want to try to do is change the brown on the sides of the 20 footer to yellow. I'm going to try to have matching Formulas. If it works out well, I may try my hand at the Minx on a later date.

Any helpful hints other than prep, prep, and more prep? What do you use to mask off areas? A certain kind of paper, or will newpaper work ok? Special tape?

Here is what I'm trying to do. I've already removed the rail on the 20, and it's not going back on.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriff2b.jpg

1996Z15
11-29-2003, 02:41 PM
I used to work in cabinet shop and did most of the spray work there so I have some knowledge of how to use a gun and I can tell you that you should not use newspaper to mask areas off; I think the paint could bleed through and there are special tapes that won't leave a glue residue that you should use. As you already know the prep work is everything next to taking your time. Good luck. Oh yea, another thing that I think many people neglect to use is a viscosity cup. We used to use this to time the paint after we added all of the reducers and activators. I've ben out of it for so long that there might be a better method or it might not even be used anymore but I know that having the paint thinned to the right viscosity makes a huge difference to how it flows out of the gun and onto the surface.

Cuda
11-30-2003, 06:25 PM
I got one side prepped today.