PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust install question

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-25-2002, 03:17 PM
My Stainless Marine exhaust came with flat washers, a friend who has a set said the bolts tend to come loose with the washers provided and recommended stainless lock washers?
Thoughts?
I find this hard to believe if torqued correctly, and a second time after engine warms.....

Any lessons learned or advice?

I will replacing the muffed Corsa Tips with identical gutted replacements with the internal (in engine comp) flapper and Salsbury's. I have read extensively about removing the old tips.

I figure, 1st remove old tips and internal rubber hose, install new identical Corsa replacement, let 4200 cure a few days then do the manifolds and riser.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Bryan

PS, Stock set up is not very old and listed in parts for sale section.

MOP
11-25-2002, 04:29 PM
Just my tilt, I have always used lock washers on manifolds. The stuff about the tips sounds good.

Just My 2c's

tmdog
11-25-2002, 04:36 PM
Used flat washers on my EMI headers. Haven't backed off yet in the last 2yrs. For peace of mind lock washers would be a good option.--- JIM

Crossbow
11-25-2002, 05:09 PM
Hey Brian, good luck with the new setups, which model did you go with ? Did you get them through the registry link or did you find a good deal somewhere else ?Just curious ,I was thinking about getting stainless marines also! cool!

Ed Donnelly
11-25-2002, 05:12 PM
I used what Stainless Marine sent me. Just torque t o specs. i have not had any problems, 2 yrs. now.PS. mailed it out at 10a.m.this morning

mjpcowboy
11-25-2002, 05:14 PM
Bryan, I replaced the Corsa exhaust tips with Teague. I broke the seal around the exhaust tip and used a cum-along to pull out the tips. The switch out was not problem on a 28 we did however the Corsa tips were bigger on the 33 which needed new holes drilled and the old holes patched. Already had CMI headers so I can't help you there. By the way the improvement in sound was dramatic.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-25-2002, 07:03 PM
-MOP, she will certainly sound different, no change in look, I special ordered what I had gutted from Corsa, very nice if I may say so.
-TMDOG, thanks, i plan to install as delivered.
-CROSSBOW, I went Stainless Marine with SS risers.
-EDWARD, thanks, a great cause....
-MJCOWBOY, you scaring me! LOL
I hope to take a razor around the 5200, take off hose, and pull them out, boat is practically new with one season, many OSO stories about removing tips, great data and I read them all..... Reinstall with 4200.
Thanks Rick. Keep us posted on the other thread too, call me sometime! Nick is THE MAN!
Bryan Tuvell

BillR
11-25-2002, 08:01 PM
Bryan,

I had no problem with my Stainless Marine exhaust. When I pulled them off to sell the boat, they were still quite tight.

I too plan to remove my exhaust tips. I plan to use 5200 debonder from BoatUS to loosen up the caulk. Should be to hard. I've done it before, I took a tip off of my old Scarab. I was a pain in the arse, but I never tried debonder either.

Let me know if you want help installing the exhaust. I think the job could be done in just over an hour. In fact, I can have the old exhaust off in about 10 minutes or less!!!!! eek!

BigGrizzly
11-26-2002, 01:43 AM
Bryan, you are correct. retorqe after heatinh and cooling. I don't use lock washers because of un even torque on these imoprtant parts that get heat cycled and retorqued. Point- ever see lock washers on head bolts? A heat gun will help loosen the 5200