PDA

View Full Version : It's great to be back

PrestonZX
11-23-2002, 07:18 PM
On Nov. 4, 2001, I thought my Donzi days were over. Had a heartattack, fell, broke my leg badly, had to have 3 operations and the doc told me no more walking no more boating. So I put my 2000 22ZX up for sale. For me it was like putting one of my kids up for sale. I've had a lot of boats but never anything like my Donzi. The good news is the doc was wrong. I can walk fine and there will be no problem boating. The bad news was that I had entered into a contract to sell the boat and, having been out of work so long, didn't have the funds to replace it. Well, the Donzi gods were smiling down on me and the purchaser backed out and I am once again an Official Donzi Owner.

Now I need some advice. When I bought the boat Donzi or the dealer told me never to try to climb over the windshield and walk out on the deck - the boat has no forward hatch - to anchor from the bow. As many of you folks from West Florida know, many of the islands we moor at have deep drop offs right off the shoreline - especially in the Tampa Bay area where I live. When the water is warm there's no problem to drop a stern line with the bow pointing toward shore, jump out, swim to the bow and attach an anchor line except sometimes its hard to swim and throw the anchor a sufficient distance at the same time. Well, I haven't been in my boat for 18 months and I ain't waiting for summer. While I don't think I would have any problem jumping into the cold water, the ladies might. I don't want to find out the expensive or hard way that I should have listened to Donzi so my question is - do any of you with more experience than I see any problem with going over the windshield, walking down the deck and dropping the anchor line with the stern pointed toward shore or is there some alternative way to anchor and still keep the stern toward shore and the bow anchored. In the past I have removed the chain linkage to the anchor, preset the bow line and gone around with the anchor in the boat and the bow line running up the deck or along the side. But, think of me what you will, I didn't choose a Donzi because I wanted it to look like a tug boat. I have tried using the forward side cleats before and they have been problematic. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

PrestonZX

Crossbow
11-23-2002, 07:57 PM
Preston, I'm not familiar with your setup but on my Z-33 I always anchor off of the bow cleat,granted it not easy getting up there ,especially when wet ,but it can be done,I step on the port bolster,then leaning on the windshield(lightly)and using the midship cleat as a foot spot,I can step on to the foward deck to walk up to the bow cleat, after you do it a few times you'll get used to it,I wouldn't let anyone else do it because you'd be pissed and they'd feel like **** for breaking your windshield !!! :D

Sagbay32
11-23-2002, 09:29 PM
I believe they are saying not to push down on the windshield when you go out on the deck. The deck should be "rock solid" , it is just getting out there that is the hard part.

Mike in White Lake

Shanghied Again
11-23-2002, 11:24 PM
First of all glad to hear you are back! I had a 22ZX the only thing you should be careful of is the Windscreen, The deck is solid. I used to walk on mine all the time. You should never lean on your windscreen if you have the small plexiglass windshield,

DON N.
11-24-2002, 02:16 AM
I've seen sliding gaffs ( I think thats what their
called ) they are aluminium and light and probably extend 15' or more with a rubber tipped point and hook also tipped with rubber , I've seen them on boats going through locks and they use them for controling the boat while the water is raised and lowered by hooking on lock ladders. Seems like you could throw the anchor out of boat tie a bumper on the slack rope and use the gaff to manuver rope to tie spot ?

Gearhead99
11-24-2002, 07:44 AM
Don,

Not to correct you. They are "boat hooks".
But, your idea sounds do'able.

Crazy Horse
11-24-2002, 02:59 PM
Glad to hear of your full recovery.
Be careful not to slip while wearing heels out on your deck! wink
http://www.donzi.net/photos/donzigirls4.jpg

Ed Donnelly
11-24-2002, 03:25 PM
1 heart attack and 2 shot knees later,I have to lean on my windshield to gey to the bow.. Fabricate a couple of anodized brackets from the winndshield to the dash, works for me....Ed