PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday to Me!

digitalMan
11-13-2000, 08:41 PM
I told my girlfriend about Bilt-Rite, how they made the original seats for my boat, and how I could order a set from the original manufacturer. Here's what showed up for my birthday:

http://k-dog.dnsalias.com/images/donzi/newSeatsGraySmall.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif She rocks! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Turns out somebody on this board helped her find Bilt-Rite. Thanks to whoever that was.

Thanks also to Jon and Sue Harmon. Apparently Sue jumped through some hoops to make this happen in time for my birthday.

I'll post the old seats on the parts for sale board. They'll be free to anybody that wants to pay shipping.

The color of the welting on the seats is light blue to match the stripes on the boat. Somebody painted the stripes dark blue, so now I have to remove the paint to get the boat to match the seats. Does anybody have any advice for removing the paint? Can anybody recommend a good stripper, er, I mean, paint remover?

FASTEDDIE
11-13-2000, 08:54 PM
We just had a boat change hands in our club and the original owner had painted professionally a checkerboard effect on the deck and on both sides of the boat.The very next day after it was sold I saw it pull into a dock with the checkerboard paint removed and I asked "How did you get the paint off so quick" He said he used aerosal oven cleaner,sprayed it on and wiped it off.
Quick,cheap and it worked beatiful.Let me know how it works for you.Strong formulas are available at your local janitorial supply house.

------------------
FASTEDDIE

green16
11-13-2000, 09:00 PM
digitalMan, She sounds like a keeper.

Robert Geoghegan
11-13-2000, 09:25 PM
Digitalman,

I also used an aerosol oven cleaner to remove paint form the hull-it works great! However, do not let the cleaner stay on the paint too long-it can melt thru the paint and blister the gelcoat.(I had a small area blister by letting the cleaner sit too long.) I found the best way was to spray it on the paint, let it "work" for 30 seconds and rub the old paint off with a cloth. Wash down the entire area with water when done. This last step is very important!
Good Luck!

digitalMan
11-13-2000, 09:36 PM
She says if I don't pop the question soon, she's gonna post herself on the parts for sale board and see if she can find somebody with a 38ZX to take her.

By the way, it was Rob Wescott who helped her find Bilt-Rite. Thanks Rob.

I guess I'll give the oven cleaner a try. It's got to be cheaper than stripper. There I go again.

If anybody thinks I'm about to destroy my gelcoat, PLEASE SPEAK UP!!!

Thanks a ton guys.

Forrest
11-14-2000, 08:58 AM
Nice! I think I saw your set being made when I went to Bilt-Rite to pick up the new upholstery for my 16 right before Labor Day. I really like that light blue with the darker blue piping. New upholstery helps the look of a boat better than anything!

------------------
Forrest

GEOO
11-14-2000, 01:23 PM
Great Gift!!! HUM, maybe I'll have my bride contact you for idea's on my birthday. I think we have something good going on here!!! GEOO

boldts
11-14-2000, 02:17 PM
Happy Birthday!!
I agree with Forest, my 69 18' Classic looked like a new boat when I got my complete Bilt-Rite upolstery. I get comments on it all the time. If you would, please ask your gal to give my wife a call and put the idea of "Restoring the Donzi" in my wife's thoughts.

BigGrizzly
11-14-2000, 06:26 PM
Great seats. She is a keeper!!! I went through two before I got this one. The second year together she bough me a lathe for Christmass. I also owe my Criterion to her, letting me have it that is.

Randy

Blewbyu
11-14-2000, 07:35 PM
Man,with a girlfriend like that,you'd better treat her right at Christmas-do you think she'd like to get a 502 in her stocking?

Edward Donnelly
11-14-2000, 11:29 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Marry her real quick. I have friends ready to buy a 38zx,if you don't pop the question real soon. It took me 4 tries to find what tou have right now. When I bought the Criterion she said it looks pretty. When I bought the Harley she said be careful. When I bought the Ford F150 Harley Davidson, she said I was pushing it. Ain't love grand?

Looped
02-02-2001, 10:21 AM
This “Oven Cleaner” idea works awesome. All right I’m bored and anxious, I went out last night in 20deg weather to try this out. I had to wait about 3 min. instead of 30 seconds but it still took off the area of bottom paint that I tried it on. Can’t beat that!

Craig

Dalelama
02-02-2001, 12:41 PM
I think my girlfriend is GREAT too!

She also copped me a set of cushions ... then went ahead and threw in a 20' Minx, 320hp EFI motor AND a trailer to go along with it!!!

I plan on keeping her for a LONG time!

------------------
Dale Evans
Miami, FL
'87 Minx / 320 EFI