PDA

View Full Version : MerCruiser - Alpha One - Should I buy one?

AGUESS
11-13-2000, 11:41 AM
Hi everyone. As you might remember, I purchased a new Ford 351W for my Classic 18. Thought I would keep the old OMC drive, so I needed to stay with ford.

I am not going to keep the OMC, and have been looking at MerCruiser and Volvo drives.

Found a 1998 MerCruiser Alpha One drive, gear 1.62 Ratio C complete with Transom assembly.

Question to all you Alpha users.

1. Although this looks like a V8 gear ratio, is this good for a 235 - 240hp engine?

2. Will I be able to find the other parts I need to mate this drive to the 351W engine?

3. What is a fair price for this drive with the transom assembly( drive looks great)?

Thanks,

Alex.

AGUESS
11-13-2000, 12:27 PM
Update to question.

I just talked to MerCruiser Marine and they said no way. Can't be done. They have not used Ford engines since mid 80's.

Wish I had known all this a long time ago, as I could have purchased any type engine.

Oh-well. Live and Learn.

So, my options are as follows.

1. Go with Volvo SX drive.
2. Sell 351 engine and find complete Mercruiser package.

New Question.

1. I hear that Volvo drives are very good. Any feedback?

This restoration has cost me a bundle. Almost everything has been rebuilt and all electronics, engine, drive, etc. is new. So, except for a 1966 Gel-Coat, almost everything else is new.

Not trying to get cheap now, just trying to see if there is a way to finish this thing out without having to sell the new engine.

Thanks again for your help.

Alex.

Forrest
11-13-2000, 02:42 PM
You can easily couple a small block Ford to an Alpha One transom assembly and drive. I know, since I've done it using a Gen. I Alpha transom assembly.

Here is what you'll need and you can find most of it used:

1. Mercruiser "888" (Ford 302) bell housing, shift cable / ez-shift switch mount, and engine coupler (available new on the aftermarket).

2. Any Mercruiser "R" (from old #1 drive) inner transom plate and steering link-arm.

3. Two holes needed to be enlarged by re-drilling on the "R" type transom plate to line up with the Alpha One's outer transom assembly's mounting studs.

4. The steering link-arm will need to be slightly modified to fit the Alpha's tiller arm connector.

5. Finally, just bolt it all together and make sure that it all lines up!

------------------
Forrest

AGUESS
11-13-2000, 04:10 PM
Forrest, Thank you for the great info.

I will explore this option.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Alex.

CDMA
11-13-2000, 05:41 PM
If I had unlimited money when I was building my boat I would have put in a brand new Volvo drive. I like the way they look, the quality and the price. I like stormers set up. Really seems the way to go. However understanding the plight of low funds and money considerations the Alpha sounds like a nice set up if you understand it's strength deficiencies. I was really impressed with how PaulO's boat rode with his Alpha. Much more nimble it seemed than the volvo. And power steering is god.

CDMA

BigGrizzly
11-13-2000, 06:52 PM
The answer lies in your own head. Do you want a Merc or Volvo. A little now or later it will cost you.
Chris road in Pauls said it is nimble. My Corsican has a 290 drive with power trim and it is nimble when it is trimed also. Volvo is stronger than alpha. Neither is not any better or worse then the other with the horse power your be using.

AGUESS
11-13-2000, 08:32 PM
How hard would this alpha conversion be?

Is a 1998 Alpha one a generation One drive, or a generation two drive?

Thanks for your help.

Alex.

GeneD
11-14-2000, 07:03 AM
A 1998 Alpha is definitely a Gen II, and you will need the Gen II gimbal assy. The bolt patterns are slightly different, you can make it work if you have the Gen I - that is for sure.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

MattM
11-14-2000, 10:54 AM
Forrest, you've proved it many times by providing invaluable information from you're vast experience. You da man!

GEOO
11-14-2000, 01:18 PM
Alex, Check on the cost of a New Merc Engine Drive package. I think the packages comes with wiring harness, power steering, throttle safety hook-up etc... By the time you buy a new engine, used drive and all the miscellaneous pieces it may be the same price!! GEOO