PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed on 1992 22 Classic

Stan
11-03-2000, 11:52 PM
I’m looking at a 1992 22 Classic 454 OMC
Under 100 hours
Fresh water boat
No Trim Tabs
Older owner passed away and the boat is on consignment at a local dealer.
White/Red stripe/ Red Interior
VERY clean boat ( so I’ve been told )

I am waiting for pictures to be sent to me, the boat is several hundred miles away.

The question is: OMC

Should I keep looking for a Merc, or could I be happy with the OMC ?
What should I look for when inspecting the engine/ outdrive ? I was told the outdrive is a gray color, not black.
What problems am I facing with this setup ?
If the engine is still stock ( which I suspect it is ) what kind of speeds can I expect ?

Can this ever be a 75+ mph boat ? ( maybe even 80 mph….and how do I get there ?)

Whats a fair price $$ for this setup ?

Will I still wanna keep my 18 2+3 ?

Thanks

Stan

RickR
11-04-2000, 03:36 PM
I have a 90 OMC King Cobra and a 95 Bravo both in Classics.

There were ALOT of clutch and gear problems with the early Cobra Drives BUT:
The late model King Cobra OMC (with the cone clutch) is a better drive, shifts better (less gear lash), steers better (doesn't have the antifeedback like the Bravo which is unnecessary with Power Steering as long as you have a Power Steering Cooler), is rated at more HP (OMC 650, Bravo 500), and has a circulating oil pump (to keep the upper gear set cool)which the Bravo does not have.

As with any limited production, parts availability may be a problem in the future with the OMC. NAPA carries OMC parts all the way back to the mid 70s.

My 90 OMC 18 Classic (built in Goshen, Indiana) is a much better hull than my 95 22 Classic (Sarasota), at this moment the 22 is in the fiberglass shop getting the factory defects taken out and when I get her home she will be reassembeled and rerigged correctly. The drivers seat doesn't even line up with the steering wheel it's off by almost 5 inches http://www.donzi.net/ubb/mad.gif
If the 22 has the Hi-Performance BBC with Retangular Port heads, forged crank,forged pistonsand aluminum hi rise she should run in the upper 60s GPS.
Low to Mid 70s should be attainable with a dry exhaust, different cam, larger flame arrestor and 1"carb spacer.
When buying a used boat ask for service records, most boat owners unplug the hour meters.
When pricing a boat make sure you figure in add ons like electronics, hardware, covers and trailer. And what it costs to get her rigged. (I just bought a Sunbrella top for my 95 $600, new trailer with Mags $2750 and about $1000 worth of electronics)

BTW Donzi has come a long way in the past few years, the 2000, 22 Classic at the Orlando Show was VERY NICE http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 11-04-2000).]

olredalert
11-04-2000, 03:41 PM
Stan,
Just sold exactly this boat,with the exception of trim tabs.Even the same year and hours.Trust me,get the tabs installed.You wont regret it!
Secondly,King Cobra drive is a fine outdrive.In last 4 years not one problem.Although I never tried,I was told a merc prop interchanges with the Merc.The boat was so nice the way it was I chose not to modify it in any way.I always felt that repairs would be easier that way but there never were any.Boat did 60 trimmed out.It was fun at that speed but I would use caution up there until I was secure with the handling.Just good common sense.Only reason I sold it was to buy the 75 El Pescador I just got.18s are great boats too,but I always felt that the 22 was the next logical step up in the current classic DONZI line!JMHO!............just .........ol red!

Joe I
11-06-2000, 07:48 AM
I have the same boat with tabs. I agree with Old Red and Rick. 60 MPH trimmed out. No problems with the King Cobra drive.

[This message has been edited by Joe I (edited 11-06-2000).]

Stan
11-08-2000, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the info and confidence. Any thoughts on the fair price for this boat ?

Stan