PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE FROM THE PAST

ALLAN BROWN
10-31-2000, 02:45 PM
I WAS GM AND CHIEF ENGINEER AT DONZI FOR THE FIRST 4 YEARS, 64-67. IF I CAN HELP WITH INFORMATION, I'LL BE GLAD TO. I ALSO HAVE SOME GREAT OLD RACING PIX THAT I'LL POST SOON.

BROWNIE

CDMA
10-31-2000, 03:04 PM
Allan,

Welcome to the board. It truely is a great place and there are many people all with one thing in common...Donzi. I am sure all here would love to hear any stories from the past. Do you currently own a Donzi?

Chris

Greg Riach
10-31-2000, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the Donzi registry and thanks for your most generous offer; information is very important to most of us.

Greg

Tony
10-31-2000, 03:10 PM
Thanks for your offer! I'll start it out by asking about the difference between the rounded keel at the stern (of the classic 16's and 18's) compared to the v-shaped bottom. What was the thinking behind each design, any pros/cons with either, and what year did they switch?

GeneD
10-31-2000, 03:15 PM
Allan,
Your name sounds super familiar, notwithstanding your association with Donzi during the specified years.
Do we know each other?
Oh, and I have a question.
Did Don test drive EVERY Donzi that went out the door, and did he drive my boat? AND...did he like it? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
GeneD
007: On the trailer, and still getting slower...in...
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 10-31-2000).]

CDMA
10-31-2000, 03:42 PM
Ok,

Why the switch in about 1970 to a straight across transom as upposed to the " barrel back"?
Also what was the original logic of the left hand steering?

Chris

GEOO
10-31-2000, 04:11 PM
Brownie, Happy Holloween!! How's it going?? I never knew you worked at Donzi!! You were right I had a couple bad valve seats!! George Desmond

Owen
10-31-2000, 07:00 PM
Allan,
Thank You for the offer!!!!!!!

My question has been the same one for a few months:

Did Aronow's Formula Company ever put the Formula Jr into production before selling the design to Thunderbird? If so, do you know approx. how many Aronow Jrs were made. In what year did you stop using the plugged Jr mold for the Sport/Ski 16?

Edward Donnelly
10-31-2000, 07:32 PM
Brownie Check out the photo contest snaps . You and Roy Farmer worked on it. Many many many years ago. Gee seems like a lifetime eh?

falcon
11-01-2000, 08:44 AM
I am very interested in 28 sportsman--but there seems to be lack of interest and information on this model--which supprises me. Reading "King of Thunderboat Row" the donzi mystique was built on this model.If you have any catalogs or tests I would be interested in buying or pay costs for copying.

ALLAN BROWN
11-01-2000, 02:21 PM
I ANSWERED YOU ON E-MAIL THIS AM, BUT I WILL REPEAT FOR THE OTHERS. THE STRAIGHT TRANSOM IS MORE PRACTICAL FOR INSTALLATION OF TRIMTABS, EXHAUST TIPS, ETC.

AS FAR AS THE LEFTHAND STEERING IS CONCERNED, JIM WYNNE HELD THE VOLVO PATENT WHEN HE DESIGNED THE BOAT. VOLVO'S TURN LEFT, MERCS TURN RIGHT. GET IT?

BROWNIE
Originally posted by CDMA:
Ok,

Why the switch in about 1970 to a straight across transom as upposed to the " barrel back"?
Also what was the original logic of the left hand steering?

Chris

------------------
BROWNIE

ALLAN BROWN
11-01-2000, 02:27 PM
SORRY, DON'T HAVE MUCH ON THE 28'. WE ONLY BUILT 74 OF THEM. IT WAS A DAMN GOOD BOAT. I HAD SOME GREAT RIDES IN 65,66,67, INCLUDING AROUND LONG ISLAND, MIAMI NASSAU, HOUSTON CHANNEL DERBY, ETC. IF I HEAR OF ONE FOR SALE, I'LL CONTACT YOU

BROWNIE
Originally posted by falcon:
I am very interested in 28 sportsman--but there seems to be lack of interest and information on this model--which supprises me. Reading "King of Thunderboat Row" the donzi mystique was built on this model.If you have any catalogs or tests I would be interested in buying or pay costs for copying.

------------------
BROWNIE

lou
11-01-2000, 02:47 PM
Now the number one questions that everyone wants to know the answers to but no one remembered to ask you:
Where did Donzi put the hull id numbers from 64 to 67 ? What was the first hull number and
who was the first person to buy one? Did the different models have different numbers or were they all sequential? Thanks, Lou

Owen
11-01-2000, 03:30 PM
Brownie, Thank You for setting the record straight on the Jr. Via your E-mail.
The Question now is a broader one.
Who designed the Sport/Ski 16? And how did it come about?

ALLAN BROWN
11-01-2000, 03:37 PM
THE COAST GUARD # PROGRAM DIDN'T START UNTIL 1973. INTERNALLY, WE USED A FOIL TAG WITH #'S LIKE 16-53. WE STUCK IT ON THE SKI RACK ON WHATEVER WAS BELOW THE DASHBOARD.

BROWNIE

------------------
BROWNIE

CDMA
11-01-2000, 04:12 PM
Brownie,

I have a hand written majic marker serial number glassed over under the dash. What is this used to signify?

Richard
11-01-2000, 07:27 PM
Brownie,
Have you got any info on the early single seat Hornet? Were they used for racing? Were they all foam cored decks? How many made? Got any pic's of them as raced? Ours is I/O and H/M powered 1968. Thank you.
Richard.

Tito
11-01-2000, 07:31 PM
When I worked for River Marine in 65 The General Manager of Donzi was Richard Riddle and the production manager was Roy Farmer. But I don't remember an Allan Brown.

[This message has been edited by Tito (edited 11-01-2000).]

Tony
11-01-2000, 07:44 PM
Here is Allen's reply to my question about the rounded stern vs. the sharp vee one. Thought I would share it with all...

THE ROUND BOTTOM (1" OF RADIUS FOR EACH FOOT OF LENGTH) IS THE FORMULA (SOUND FAMILIAR?) FOR THE ORIGINAL WYNNE/WALTERS BOATS. ARONOW WANTED TO CHANGE SOMETHING WHEN HE STRETCHED THE 16' INTO 18'. IT RODE A LITTLE BETTER, BUT THREW YOUR ASS OUT ON A TIGHT TURN WHEN THE KEEL LOST ITS GRIP ON THE WATER. WHEN ARONOW SOLD DONZI (AND ME) IN APRIL 65, I CHANGED IT BACK.

BROWNIE

Mark Albers
11-01-2000, 07:50 PM
Donzi Aficionados

I might be mistaken but

Brownie could be the next best thing to the Dali Lahma

Oh to have an inside conection

Throttle up and hang on

Mark

FASTEDDIE
11-01-2000, 07:59 PM
We should all be proud that a man with the reputation and marine backround like Allen Brown or "Brownie" as he is know, would take the time to grace our website. Although his modesty would not allow him to toot his own horn, let me tell you.
Allen Brown is ranked number 18 in the top 100 offshore drivers with an amazing
three first place finishes.In July of 1966 he finished first with "Broadjumper" in the
Hennessy Long Island Marathon, finished in first place in June of 1967 in the Gateway
marathon with "Donzi Blue Devil" and in October of 1967,first in th Miami-Nassua race with "Donzi Baby".This man is a legend in his own time so treat him kindly.
Brownie ,its great you stopped in to talk to the boys.
Ed Hodgkinson
Lake George Donzi Classic Club

------------------
FASTEDDIE

ALLAN BROWN
11-02-2000, 07:56 AM
DICK RIDDLE WAS THE REPRESENTATIVE OF OUR MOTHER COMPANY, TELEFLEX. WE ALSO HAD JOHN CHISHOLM, WHO WAS THE BROTHER OF THE CHAIRMAN AND PRESIDENT, TIM CHISHOLM. ROY WAS ALWAYS THE PRODUCTION MANAGER (AND A PEACH OF A GUY).
Originally posted by Tito:
When I worked for River Marine in 65 The General Manager of Donzi was Richard Riddle and the production manager was Roy Farmer. But I don't remember an Allan Brown.

[This message has been edited by Tito (edited 11-01-2000).]

------------------
BROWNIE

Owen
11-02-2000, 08:28 AM
So Many Questions!!!

I may have a lead on the where abouts of one of the surviving Magnum Banana Boats.
What was the theory behind the water ballast tank in the bow. Did they all have this ballast system? What were the engine/drive configurations. Satan's Chariot in the Gallery, I guessing was Kendall's boat, had twin 289s. At least one of Don's had twin 409s. What did the other three have.

What was your favorite race: favorite boat?

ALLAN BROWN
11-02-2000, 09:08 AM
I CONSIDER THE BANANA BOAT TO BE ONE OF THE WORST BOATS EVER BUILT BY A REPUTABLE BUILDER.
THE FIRST ONE HAD A 427 TURBO DAYTONA ON A V-DRIVE. YOU HAD THE OPTION OF GOING OVER OR UNDER MOST BRIDGES. BALLAST TANKS (JUST NOW COMING BACK) WERE USED IN PLACE OF TRIM TABS TO MAKE THE BOAT RUN LEVEL, BEFORE DECENT TABS. FAVORITE RACE BOAT (THAT I RACED)...THE "DONZI BABY" WITH TWIN HOLMAN/MOODY HIGH WINDER, HIGH RISER, SIDE OILER 427'S IN TANDEM ON ONE PROP. FAVORITE RACE, MIAMI-NASSAU.

------------------
BROWNIE

Rob
11-02-2000, 10:05 AM
Allan:

Aren't you currently at Stainless Marine? I think I talked with you when I had Stainless make some custom exhaust tips for my 16 Ski Sporter. You might remember them because they looked so odd. They were the ones that exited and then turned 90 degrees down.

ALLAN BROWN
11-02-2000, 10:43 AM
YEP AND YEP

------------------
BROWNIE

Jamesbon
11-02-2000, 10:58 AM
Just for the record, I'm very pleased with my Stainless Marine manifolds and risers.

Alan,
Do you recall one of Don's race boats named "008?" I believe it had Magnum/Donzi on the side. Are any of these still around?

AGUESS
11-02-2000, 11:01 AM
Allan,

Thanks for all of your help.

I have a 1966 Classic 18, single hatch (wine color). When I got it in 1973 it had a OMC 302, 190hp drive.

In trying to trace the history, it looks like I am the third owner, and it was first sold through a Dealer in Jacksonville Fl in early 1967.

Question.

Was OMC used in 1966 as original equipment?

Do you know the name of the dealership in Jacksonville?

How many Single hatch Classic 18 were made in 1966?

When did Donzi change from a three hatch system to the single hatch?

Thanks again.

Alex Guess

CDMA
11-02-2000, 11:05 AM
Brownie,

What ever happened to some of the old raceboats like 007, 008 and broadjumper....

Chris

ALLAN BROWN
11-02-2000, 03:08 PM
008 WAS DESTROYED IN THE 1966 MIAMI NASSAU RACE. DONT HAVE THE FOGGIEST WHERE THE OTHERS ARE. I HHAD A CONTACT YEARS AGO FROM A MUSEUM IN THE NORTHEAST FOR PIX OF THE BROADJUMPER FOR RESTORATION. THAT WAS THE LAST I HEARD.

------------------
BROWNIE

BERTRAM BOY
11-02-2000, 03:33 PM
A GUESS,
My '66 originaly came with an OMC outdrive. Also, a Buick 340. Mine also is a single hatch. I spoke Allan Mobray at Donzi,but he couldn't find the original build card for my boat. He said it was likely that it was made in late '66. Hull #105
BERTRAM BOY

[This message has been edited by BERTRAM BOY (edited 11-02-2000).]

ALLAN BROWN
11-03-2000, 07:17 AM
MY PRIDE WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO USE AN OMC DRIVE. I DIDN,T DO IT.

BROWNIE

------------------
BROWNIE

GeneD
11-03-2000, 09:22 AM
Ahh, Brownie...you're a man after my own heart!
OMC? They make outboards don't they? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

ALLAN BROWN
11-03-2000, 09:32 AM
I THOUGHT IT STOOD FOR OLD MAN'S SOMETHING OR OTHER.

------------------
BROWNIE

boxy
11-03-2000, 09:47 AM
OUTDATED MARINE CRAP

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

ALLAN BROWN
11-03-2000, 09:53 AM
WE NEVER USED OMC WHILE I WAS THERE. WE ALWAYS HAD A ONE PIECE HATCH. WE BUILT ONE A WEEK.
Originally posted by AGUESS:
Allan,

Thanks for all of your help.

I have a 1966 Classic 18, single hatch (wine color). When I got it in 1973 it had a OMC 302, 190hp drive.

In trying to trace the history, it looks like I am the third owner, and it was first sold through a Dealer in Jacksonville Fl in early 1967.

Question.

Was OMC used in 1966 as original equipment?

Do you know the name of the dealership in Jacksonville?

How many Single hatch Classic 18 were made in 1966?

When did Donzi change from a three hatch system to the single hatch?

Thanks again.

Alex Guess

------------------
BROWNIE

ALLAN BROWN
11-03-2000, 09:57 AM
008 WAS DESTOYED IN THE 1966 MIAMI-NASSAU. THAT MOLD BECAME THE 28' CARY, WHICH BECAME THE 30' SALT SHAKER, WHICH BECAME......
Originally posted by Jamesbon:
Just for the record, I'm very pleased with my Stainless Marine manifolds and risers.

Alan,
Do you recall one of Don's race boats named "008?" I believe it had Magnum/Donzi on the side. Are any of these still around?

------------------
BROWNIE

GEOO
11-03-2000, 10:12 AM
Wasn't the mold sold to Performer in the late 70's eary 80's. GEOO

Jamesbon
11-03-2000, 10:23 AM
From the book, "King of Thunderboat Row," 008 was a bad a*s looking boat. In my opinion, one could probably make millions in creating 24-35 foot boats resembling the classics. Like 008 or the 2+3's only much bigger. If I only had the $$, any takers?

ALLAN BROWN
11-03-2000, 10:37 AM
NAHHH! THEY GOT IT THE OLD FASHIONED WAY....THEY POPPED IT!
Originally posted by GEOO:
Wasn't the mold sold to Performer in the late 70's eary 80's. GEOO

------------------
BROWNIE

ALLAN BROWN
11-03-2000, 10:39 AM
DAMN, BOXY, THOSE ARE HARD WORDS
Originally posted by boxy:
OUTDATED MARINE CRAP

------------------
BROWNIE

ALLAN BROWN
11-03-2000, 10:44 AM
EXCEPT FOR STEPS AND LIGHTWEIGHT CONSTRUCTION AND BETTER ENGINES AND BETTER DRIVES AND BETTER PROPELLERS AND BETTER EXHAUST SYSTEMS, BOATS HAVEN'T CHANGED AT ALL SINCE 1965 EXCEPT THAT THE OFFSHORE SPEED RECORD HAS GONE FROM 50.5 MPH TO 181.6.
Originally posted by Jamesbon:
From the book, "King of Thunderboat Row," 008 was a bad a*s looking boat. In my opinion, one could probably make millions in creating 24-35 foot boats resembling the classics. Like 008 or the 2+3's only much bigger. If I only had the $$, any takers?

------------------
BROWNIE

rayjay
11-03-2000, 03:37 PM
Sort of puts it into perspective, doesn't it!

The modern engineered world has given us some great and better working things. My first real good running 1967 Triumph 650, that had a fair amount of work done to it, went just over 100. In the early 70's, after learning a lot more, we got it up to the mid 120's. So much for 1928 designs. My last real good (worked) '74 RD would go over 137. My FJ1200 with more work than I care to admit will run high 9's at over 144 and come real close to pulling its 190 mph gearing, and my new ZX12R goes just about as fast as that with almost nothing done to it. Muzzy added a new exhaust and freer intake to it and went 199.7 in Georgia (I don't know why they couldn't squeeze that last .3 out of it!!). Times change! All had two wheels, but...

rayjay

[This message has been edited by rayjay (edited 11-03-2000).]

superhatz
11-03-2000, 09:52 PM
Yeah but I'd rather go 50.5 mph in a 27 Magnum than 181.6 in a "neon spaceship"

green16
11-04-2000, 02:16 PM
Brownie,
Thank you for your offer to help. It seems there are many guys here with loads of knowledge and similar experiences and few like myself that also love the old boats and want to preserve them but lack the knowledge. I hope you don't get tired of the questions because the many posts about old times seem like tons of fun.
I have a 1968, #16-513. The rear pull rod is bent beneath the deck, been like that since I bought her in 1992. I'm having her cleaned up and regelcoated and so am considering replacing this rod. It is threaded and looks grey in color. I can't tell if it has been painted. Was galvanized steel used then? Can you remember what was used? I haven't measured the diameter.
Thank you very much, John Teixeira

olredalert
11-25-2000, 01:49 PM
Brownie,
Asked a question of you on another thread,and you might not have seen it.Hope you come back on and have a moment for this.Ive been wondering what wiser people than me might feel are the upper ranges,speedwise,of the basic 18-2+3.Was talking to a character in Arkansas the other day and he claimed that an 18 Corsican with a 427 chev. v-drive combo went 100 MPH.Im a nice guy so I didnt call him a liar,but I just dont think its possible.Anyway,Thanks in advance.............just.........ol red!

GEOO
11-25-2000, 03:52 PM
I think a 427 500hp HM V-Drive would run in the mid 70's.
My 550hp X-18 can run 85 with a surface drive. A V-Drive is a lot less efficient.
I talked to a guy with a 18 2+3 with 800hp 468ci alcohol drag engine hooked up to a jet pump. He said it radar'd at 102mph. GEOO

BigGrizzly
11-25-2000, 05:17 PM
Due to the fact, that our Az friends with the beautiful Hornet with the blower on it and set up RIGHT will go low to mid 70's. My Corsicsn with over 425 hp and a trinable out drive will do about the same, with the best 351 Clevland I have. Since the v-drive runs a very wet hull. If he runs the mid 70's I would be very surprised.

Randy

olredalert
11-25-2000, 05:34 PM
GEOO,
WOW,thats all I can say.Would love to see your 18 run.Hopefully Ill get the chance sometime in the next year.With more meets being planned all the time it could happen.I expect that since you mentioned the 102mph 18 that you give his claim some credence.An 18 that reaches that velocity is almost too much for my little pea brain.I still think that my new phone buddys 18 Corsican that he claims goes one hundred miles an hour with 550HP and a V-drive is a little farfetched.Im fairly familiar with high horse big block Chevys and his sounded more like 450-475 at most to me.Thanks for your input on the subject.I probobly wouldnt have believed it from someone not on the registry!.........just..........ol red!

Hornetman
11-27-2000, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Richard:
Brownie,
Have you got any info on the early single seat Hornet? Were they used for racing? Were they all foam cored decks? How many made? Got any pic's of them as raced? Ours is I/O and H/M powered 1968. Thank you.
Richard.

Hello Allan, Richard and I both own single seat Hornets, mine is a 1969 originally 400 hp Holman Moody 427. Any information regarding his request? ps Thanks for popping in on and sharing your wisdom. P.S. Would you all be interested in fabbing up a set of "custom" S.S. headers/risers for my 427? (390 heads)
Please e-mail me if interested.

------------------
Steve A. (Hornetman)

Formula Jr
02-04-2001, 01:47 AM
Brownie,
Since you were there, I can't get a better source to this question:

I'm going to make a Kelvar copy of the Wynne-Mil using a Formula Jr as the plug. Looking over old photos, its clear that the Paris 6 boat did not have a seperate deck and hull as is found in typical production boats. How did you build this boat as one piece? Did you use a two piece female mold joined down the middle from the bow to the stern or did you use some other construction method? Is there something about this boat Wynne would have designed differently?
Thanks, Owen

GeneD
02-08-2001, 08:39 AM
Brownies Post: &lt;WE NEVER USED OMC WHILE I WAS THERE. WE ALWAYS HAD A ONE PIECE HATCH. WE BUILT ONE A WEEK.&gt;
The one piece hatch...Do you mean that Donzi only made a one piece hatch, or that you only were involved with making a one piece hatch for production? The Donzi brochure for 1966 shows a three piece hatch. How many of these do you think were made? Those with three hatch '66's want to know!!!!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida