PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Z33 Crossbow ?

502 Magnum
10-27-2000, 06:32 PM
No intrest for 33 Crossbows?
This seems to be a great board,with intr-
esting people and items.I`m a Norwegian
guy sitting at home near Oslo town,waiting
for the snow,but dreaming of Donzis and
summer.I`m planing to buy a Z33 Crossbow
from 1988 and up, 1991? Take out the motor
s and ship it ower here.I will put in two
502`s(got one)
I need some help to find out som history
on Crossbow33 .When did they start to make
them? And stop? Is there some good or bad
years or models? I need all information I
can get about this boat.Thanks (I hope to
get some Donzi friends here)

Bjørn

RickR
10-27-2000, 07:30 PM
I am not very familiar with the 33 but a few years ago I talked with a fiberglass man who did warranty repairs for Donzi. He said some of the Z-33s were returned for stringer repairs in the engine compartment.
My 1989 brochure says
8100 lbs
32' 4"
9' beam
200 gallon fuel capacity
Standard power 460ci/340hp OMC

In my 1990 brochure Donzi dropped the "Cross bow" designation and just called her a Z-33

The 1990 and later OMC King Cobra drive is significantly better than the pre 90s. It has a cone clutch like the Mercruiser Bravo.
Good luck finding a Crossbow.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

GEOO
10-27-2000, 07:39 PM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that model. GEOO

BigGrizzly
10-28-2000, 08:43 AM
The Crossbow and the Z33 are slighttly different the crosbow had 454/330hp with borg trans and trs out drives. the deck nhad different hatchs. I like the old gullwing type. There was one here on Lake Laneir Ga. at bald ridg marina for 32000. Clean boat, ran well,no trailer which is one reason my son didn't buy it. He felt that a 22ZX, trailer and living at dads lake house was cheeper in the long run and more mobel. I drove one of the early models in the ocean of Pt. Pleasant NJ for a day and was tempted to by one. The thing rides better than a 31 spoet fish Bertrum, handles like a smaller 25 footer and docks easily. RickR my 1989 brochure has the Z33 designation, uses 460fords and omc drives. My 1988 has the Crossbow with 454chev. and TRS drives and borg trans inside the boat, just like the one that i drove. Guess 1989 must have the change year. The deck and internals also look different, hull looks the same. In real lift the boat is a real head turner. If I had more money no wife and was retired I would have one.

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 10-28-2000).]

502 Magnum
10-28-2000, 05:03 PM
RickR,GEOO and BigGrizzly
Tanks for post and information.
RickR,do you know where I can get som
brochure or book about Z33 Crossbow?
Have a nice boat weekend,but I`m
freesing here 0`C Temp here now

RickR
10-28-2000, 07:40 PM
Sorry but my brochure is too large a format to scan on my scanner.
Except for the specs it says it's a great boat and everyone ought to have one.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Peter Demboski
10-30-2000, 03:26 PM
1988 Z-33 Crossbow with the gullwing fiberglass deck hatches is the way to go !!! I agree, a definite head turner. Check out the boat trader web site for a red Z-33 that's for sale in Texas. http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?3379184

502 Magnum
10-30-2000, 03:46 PM
Peter
Thanks for your open opinion aboat
Donzi Z33 Crossbow.
Is it someone out there who realy knows
and have experience with a
Z33 CROSSBOW????????????????

Montauk Crossbow Z33
02-05-2001, 08:39 PM
Hey pete took your advice and bought that crossbow in texas ,the lady in the sales office said that on a scale of 1 to 10 that boat is a 9.9 can't believe it only has 120hrs. on it ,also can't wait until spring to ship it to new york and rage in the good ole atlantic ocean
Originally posted by Peter Demboski:
1988 Z-33 Crossbow with the gullwing fiberglass deck hatches is the way to go !!! I agree, a definite head turner. Check out the boat trader web site for a red Z-33 that's for sale in Texas. http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?3379184

Red Rocket
02-05-2001, 09:35 PM
Hey Montauk Crossbow !!! Are you serious ?? If so, congratulations !!! Did you buy the boat sight unseen ??? Awesome boat!! Please post pictures and submit photo's to the photo gallery. Spring could not come soon enough !!!

Montauk Crossbow Z33
02-06-2001, 09:45 PM
HEY Pete thanks for the congrats, yea i kind of bought it sight unseen they sent me about 15 pictures on the net and after weeks of interogation i went for it . came real close to buying the yellow 91 up in michigan but this one was almost 20 g's less plus i just had brand new bolster seats made for me last summer by aqua marine for my 1986 Z-25 which is exsactly the same color combo so i'm going to replace the side by side helm seat on the 33 with my new dropouts should be a nice touch to finish off my new crossbow.

FASTEDDIE
02-07-2001, 05:35 AM
Just noticed a crossbow for sale in our neighborhood. Ad reads " Donzi 88 Crossbow 33
mint condition, low hours ,twin 454's, bravo drives, shorepower, full canvas, w/trlr tri-axle, $45,000.00 (Kingston,NY) 914-331-8545 or 914-657-8084. I believe the area code has changed to 845 recently.

------------------
FASTEDDIE

502 Magnum
02-09-2001, 07:38 AM
Hi Donzi friends!
Nice to be back after 4 weeks in Thailand
with white sand on the beach and 35 celius.
Hi Montauk,congrats with your Z33,I`v got all the pics from your boat,it`s a great boat.I did not buy the boat 3 month ago,because I found a 89 in Florida for
restauring.We need more Z33 Crossbow fans
here on the board.

Regards
Bjørn

Montauk Crossbow Z33
02-10-2001, 04:13 PM
Yeah 502 the guy at harborside told me about a guy from norway who was interested in the boat ,but wanted it without power ,guess they just couldn't bring themselves to rip those motors out with only 120 hrs. on them ,anyway the deal is finished i'm just going to wait until spring to truck it north!

BennyO
02-12-2001, 10:30 AM
I owned a Donzi Black Widow powered by twin
454HO OMC King Cobras and had MANY problems
with the boat. I had stringer problems, hull/deck joint leaks, improper fiberglass
work in critical areas, and trouble with the
engine management system and finally the
King Cobra Drives. This boat (built by "selected" members of the Chris Craft crew) was unrepairable as per survey. The
surveyor told me of many horror stories (very
similar to mine) with these OMC/Chris Craft
built Donzi's. In addition, the internet is
filled (Boatered/BoatUS) with complaints from owners of these Donzi's. Watch out!!

Montauk Crossbow Z33
02-12-2001, 07:28 PM
BBBBbenny I think I'm OK ,according to the donzi web site history page OMC took over in 1989 Guess i just made the cutoff with my 1988!!!!! Best of luck with your non don Z boat!

EricG
02-12-2001, 07:44 PM
Montauk, congrats on the new boat, as the owner of a much smaller '88 Z(21) - I'm very jealous!!

You're right about making the cutoff, the 88's seem to all be Merc Powered and fall in the Pre-OMC era. However, I also think some of the OMC era boats get a bad rap....For instance, the 89 Z boats seem to be exactly the same except for the power and drives...I think the real problems started showing up in about 90, when they started coming out with the OMC designed boats like Black Widow Series....

And I also don't have much of a problem with the OMC era classics, the basic design is still there, it's just a matter of power and, some have said, slightly less stringent Quality control.

Either way, you've got a great boat, I can't wait until you get some pictures posted.

EG

Bandit
02-13-2001, 07:08 AM
I've own a '89 30' Donzi Black Widow since early '99 which has 600 hrs and I've not had any problems with it mechanically or with the hull. It has twin 460's and King Cobra outdrives and it's turn key ready. I go through the proper maintenance steps as needed with any boat and it obviously pays off.

I also have a friend that bought a '90 Black Widow new with 454's and merc's and he's had some problems with the engines and outdrives over the years as expected, but again, the hull is solid and in great shape.

We both run on Lake Cumberland and those of you coming to AOTH in May can check them out and judge for yourself.

------------------
Bandit...

EricG
02-13-2001, 02:04 PM
I stand corrected on the Black Widow Comment,we don't get many comments from that crowd on the board (where are all of you?),and I've only ever heard negatives.....must just be an example of only the bad experiences being mentioned. Anyway, glad to have some Black Widow Boys on board.....besides, you've got twins - so I'm totally jealous!!

EG

502 Magnum
02-13-2001, 05:10 PM
Great to hear you talking twins and
Z boats,butttttt where are a owner and a
user of a Z33 Crossbow?Who can realy tel
me about this boat?Until now,not a person.
I`v tryed the facktory,but no one can tel me
the fact about this boat.I`m happy to se som more guys with intrest in this Donzi model.

Bjørn

Z33Crossbow
02-14-2001, 05:01 PM
I just saw this post and finally got round to registering. I have an 88 Z-33 Crossbow and just love the boat. No problems with it whatsoever. Fantastic solid reliable boat which I use to cruise through the Puget Sound and do laps around Lake Washington. I Don't pretend to know everything about the boats but I can say that I am very satisfied with it. It has the 460 Cobras and was repowered with 2 hours when I purchased it a couple years ago. Only complaint I have with it is I would like to supercharge the engines but given the high compression and lack of suitable heads for the motors I can't do so as I am still unwilling to tear into the still relatively new motors to lower the compression. Very happy to see some interest and discussion on these boats. If you have any specific questions about the boat itself I may be able to answer them.

Cheers
-Andre

Originally posted by 502 Magnum:

No intrest for 33 Crossbows?
This seems to be a great board,with intr-
esting people and items.I`m a Norwegian
guy sitting at home near Oslo town,waiting
for the snow,but dreaming of Donzis and
summer.I`m planing to buy a Z33 Crossbow
from 1988 and up, 1991? Take out the motor
s and ship it ower here.I will put in two
502`s(got one)
I need some help to find out som history
on Crossbow33 .When did they start to make
them? And stop? Is there some good or bad
years or models? I need all information I
can get about this boat.Thanks (I hope to
get some Donzi friends here)

Bjørn

EricG
02-14-2001, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the Board!! Not only another Z guy, but one from Seattle no less!! What color is your 33? I've seen a few of them running around Lake Washington in the last couple of years....it's not the yellow one that was for sale about 2 years ago is it? I wanted that boat soooooo bad!!

EG

Montauk Crossbow Z33
02-14-2001, 07:14 PM
Hey Z-33 Crossbow welcome to the only place to meet and discuss Donzi's on the net ,Whats the name of your boat? I've just purchased a 88 Z-33 myself , and I'm having a hard time chosing a good name!Any suggestions? My boat is red so I was thinking IN THE RED or REDLINE ,open for suggestions? also does your boat have the gullwing hatches?

502 Magnum
02-15-2001, 03:17 PM
Hi guys,this sounds a lot better to me,
more Crossbow,thats good,I`v been waiting
for a long time now.Welcome to the board
Z33Crossbow (great name)Do you know how
many Z33 they made from 1987 to 1991?

Bjørn

Z33Crossbow
02-15-2001, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I suppose I could have chosen a less generic name;-), wasn't even thinking about it when I signed on. I bought it a couple years ago from Lieb Marine on Lake Union where it was on consignment. I probably paid more money for the boat than they are typically worth but the boat was in absolutely immaculate condition with the brand new motors. I negotiated on the price pretty well but the reality is I would have paid him anything he wanted for the boat as I simply had to have it. Tough to find these kind of boats up in the great NW. I spent a lot of time looking at boats to upgrade my old Searay driving to Portland several times to look at what always turned out to be junk until I found the Donzi literally down the street. The previous owner had it shipped in from Ohio the year before, repainted the hull, had all the upholstery redone then let it sit on his lift over the winter and the blocks froze and cracked. 30K later I think he just decided he had way too much into it and sold. His unfortunate loss my gain. The cool thing is I ran into Peter over SeaFair weekend last summer and he was in an immaculate Donzi Classic, clearly missed the boat and still had the Donzi passion. Haven't stuck a name nor even the numbers on the boat yet although I have put 100 hours on it so far. Still to be officially named either "Full Yellow Jacket" or as my wife Likes "Yellow Fever" which sounds entirely too common for me. There are a few other Donzis around but you never see them for sale up here.

In answer to the last question I don't know how many Z-33's they made? Just don't see or hear of many which I like because the boat is unique in this part of the country. it has the gullwing hatches as mentioned in another post and turns a lot of heads wherever it goes. Never a problem pulling up to a dock as someone always runs to help eager to check it out;-)

Cheers
-Andre

Originally posted by 502 Magnum:

Hi guys,this sounds a lot better to me,
more Crossbow,thats good,I`v been waiting
for a long time now.Welcome to the board
Z33Crossbow (great name)Do you know how
many Z33 they made from 1987 to 1991?

Bjørn

Z33Crossbow
02-15-2001, 06:26 PM
How about "Redrum" get it;-) As I posted at the end, I was thinking of "Full Yellow Jacket" although it would be an awefully long name to try and put on the boat.

Originally posted by Montauk Crossbow Z33:
Hey Z-33 Crossbow welcome to the only place to meet and discuss Donzi's on the net ,Whats the name of your boat? I've just purchased a 88 Z-33 myself , and I'm having a hard time chosing a good name!Any suggestions? My boat is red so I was thinking IN THE RED or REDLINE ,open for suggestions? also does your boat have the gullwing hatches?

harbormaster
02-15-2001, 09:03 PM
Hey you Crossbow owners. Have any of you entered your boats in the registry and sent in Photos?
Scot V

Z33Crossbow
02-15-2001, 10:15 PM
Hey Scott,

I sent you a couple pictures. The better ones need to be scanned. Will do so and send your way. Will also get up to the registry and sign up.

Cheers
-A

QUOTE]Originally posted by harbormaster:
Hey you Crossbow owners. Have any of you entered your boats in the registry and sent in Photos?
Scot V[/QUOTE]

Dr. Dan
02-15-2001, 10:53 PM
Z33, How about "Full and then get a great graphic of a yellow jacket(ie. bee)next to it or some derivitive of that, like the old Super Bee muscle cars, that might look pretty happening, you may even be able to find that Bee logo through a Mopar perf. shop or catelog?

502 Magnum
02-16-2001, 04:37 PM
Hi Scot
Nice to hear from you,have you still got snow?
I`l be glad to enter the Registry with my
Crossbow,but now pics,because it looks baaaad,but later!

Bjørn

Montauk Crossbow Z33
02-16-2001, 09:25 PM
Hey Scott I just emailed you some photos of my 88 Crossbow , Let me know if i did the right thing. Can't wait to see them posted !!

harbormaster
02-17-2001, 09:54 AM
Bjørn,

No snow on the Texas Gulf Coast.
Just lots of rain.
I posted some photos of Rich Becker's Crossbow in his registry page.
Hows about some boating photos from your part of the world?

Scot

502 Magnum
02-17-2001, 04:39 PM
Scot

We are in the midle of a hard winter in
Norway now,but photos later on,waiting
for my boat to be shiped from Florida.
What is your opinion of painting the
Crossbow to yellow, from the origin,
now faint green,if I do it by the book?

Bjørn

502 Magnum