PDA

View Full Version : B&M 144 Blower

RickSE
10-26-2000, 03:41 PM
Has anyone ever considered putting a 144 blower on a newer SBC 18 Classic? I'm trying to figure out if one will fit under the raised hatch on my 96. I haven't been able to find any height dimensions for this blower. I guess my best bet is to just call their tech-line. My impression is that it won't fit.

RickSE
10-26-2000, 05:04 PM
Got the height from Holley, 7.55" from intake flange to carb flange. My current manifold measures 4.60", therefor only need 3" more. I think it will fit with the right flame arrestor.

GEOO
10-26-2000, 06:21 PM
I know of a guy out west who is building a 383 supercharged for his 18. I'll see if I can find out the details. GEOO

rayjay
10-26-2000, 06:57 PM
RickS,

What engine do you have? Procharger makes a number of kits, including ones for carbs. The advantage of a Procharger set up is that if something goes wrong in the blower you can disconnect the connection to the intake box, for a carb, or FI unit, drop the belt, and get home. Plus a centrifugal blower is a true supercharger as it compresses the air. The 144 and its variants just "blow" the air in, albeit with some force, but do not truly compress it. Another thing is that the Procharger hardly adds any height to the engine making it fit easier under hatches (and car hoods!). rayjay

[This message has been edited by rayjay (edited 10-26-2000).]

paul minx
10-26-2000, 07:16 PM
Rick I have a manifold that was used in the sixties and seventies that uses twin webers, mikunis or weber side draft throttle bodies (imagine w a haltech computer!)and goes directly on top of the blower!It will make a beautifull installation w out the problem of push thru applications ,however it is a matter of taste >Ihave the manifold w no use in mind ,I was going to use it on my TVR but thats no longer the case.Email me if you have any interest !

paul minx
10-26-2000, 07:22 PM
Rick I forgot, If you can get street supercharging by Pat Ganahl you can see a picture of the system.

Frank Civitano
10-26-2000, 08:51 PM
Hi Rick
I love that procharger. Added 18mph to my boat. This year I am having a roller cam put in . Dart heads and pushing the envelope a little higher. to 650hp. With the external steering and a new imco drive. I want high 80s with the lower dimension drive and the added hp at 5600rpms I should see 85. Chuck from Typhoon said I should see 88-90 I will be happy with 85 And my Procharger.

------------------
Frank Civitano

RickSE
10-26-2000, 11:22 PM
I agree guys, I think the Procharger is probably the best blower set-up for mild marine use, but they're so dag-gone expensive. I was considering a 144 that's on E-Bay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=477020426&r=0&t=0 .

There's also a M1 Procharger on E-bay, unit only, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=479132051&r=0&t=0 .
But I'd probably end up spending another $1,000 for all the required hardware.

To me the 144 seems like a better deal for a mild HP gain, and all the parts are there. There's one problem though, I forgot about my heads, I have 96 heads with the canted center manifold bolts. Well maybe it's better to wait for a good deal on a Procharger. I really need something though to make for my HP loss from high altitude.

Good luck in all your mods Frank. Keep us posted and keep it together. Maybe next summer we'll have less postings on failed motors.

I'm still going to check this weekend though and see if the 144 would fit.

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 10-26-2000).]

BigGrizzly
10-26-2000, 11:59 PM
Holley makes the kit with a low rise intake to fit under stock hoods of cars. O a big block it is only about 2-3 inches higher than a proeformer RPM with a holley 750. this is what merc is selling in their $52000 engine package. However Procharger is the only company who sells a marine approved set up at this time. Vortec says they will be out in the spring. Suggestion wait till spring, save money, and make a selection then

GEOO
10-27-2000, 06:08 AM
AWE!!!!! Frank, Come on, give me a chance at the Radar Shoot out this spring. I liked the look of that Trophy. You're a MAD MAN!!
Chris, Help me out!! My Classic needs dialing-in to be able to keep up with the "ZX". GEOO