PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance Depth Finder

flametamer
10-26-2000, 10:13 AM
I have A 94 22'classic. I am looking at a Lorance 3500 Depth Finder. I want to mount the Transducer interior of hull, and where should it be mounted. Anyone had any luck with these, and how accurate are they? Jeff

GEOO
10-26-2000, 12:22 PM
I mounted my transducer in the bilge and it works at any speed. It is mounted 6" from the transom in and 3" off center of the bilge. Find a location in the back of the bilge where it will not be hit by mechanics and where the transducer will have a unobstructed view of the bottom. (through fiberglass only, not through wood core or the running strakes). Clean the location with degreaser, sand to roughen the bilge surface, use a generous amount of caulk and push the transducer into it. Use a caulk that is plastic friendly and try not to get any air bubbles under the transducer when setting it into the caulk. GEOO

Tom on Lanier
10-27-2000, 05:25 AM
I put a Lowrance 3500 in tomahawk last spring. While concurring with Geoo on placing the transducer way aft, I found that to be quite difficult. I put mine just in front of the motor smack dab in the middle by the bilge pump. It works very well for me, but I don't spend a lot of time flying through the air. Lowrance offers two tranducers for the 3500, the shoot through the hull type and the transom mount type. Definitely uese the shoot thriugh the hull type. I have had poor results with the, outside the hull,transom mount types.
Geoo - met a friend of yours yesterday at the FT. Lauderdale show. "Brownie" speaks well of you.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

GEOO
10-27-2000, 05:57 AM
Brownie is always helpful. Have fun at the show Tom. I never been!! Maybe next year. GEOO

RickR
10-27-2000, 02:06 PM
flametamer
I prefer slow cure epoxy BUT it is permanent!
On my 22 I mounted a Hummingbird (Transom mount) transducer in the engine compartment centered on the keel and I have trouble in shallow salt water. It needs to be a few inches beside the keel. The shoot through type is better especially the tapered ones.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

roadtrip
10-27-2000, 04:51 PM
I concur with Tom and so does Donzi. My new 22 Classic has the transducer almost right next to the bilge pump and works great in all depths and speeds. Good luck!

RickR
10-27-2000, 05:43 PM
On my 1995 22 the factory mounted transducer (for my digital depthfinder) is mounted about 6" off the certerline of the keel.
I works alot better than the Hummingbird mounted in the center of the keel.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>