PDA

View Full Version : SE Michigan Get Together (Update!)

Ranman
04-16-2001, 01:44 PM
Hello Everybody, This post is to establish a firm date, time and location for the SE Michigan Get Together. Because our original tentative date of May 26 falls on a holiday weekend. We have decided to push the gathering one week out and officially make it on Saturday June 2, 2001. The starting location will be at Metropolitan Beach where we can all tie up and meet each other. (VoodooCanoe, please assist in determining how to reserve guest wells and reply.) I should be at Metro around 9:00am to greet people and will be staying until dark.

I would like to make a list of everyone planning to attend so please reply with your name, phone # and boat so I can make a list of who to expect.

Also, I would like suggestions as to what we should do all day. To keep things simple, I think we should play "show and tell" until 1 or 2pm and then take a run out to Strawberry Island for the afternoon. Let me know what you folks think.

Finally, I can't beleive the response I have gotten regarding this event. I think we will have a great time and I look forward to meeting all of you. Many thanks and let's look forward to June.

Randy Oak

Riley
04-17-2001, 08:30 AM
Hi Randy,

I was glad to see the date changed for the SE Mich get together. Providing my boat doesn't sell in the next couple of weeks I'm planning on being there! I'll be bringing a 1999 18' Classic/5.0 Merc/Alpha. Look forward to meeting everybody!

Chris Riley
Cedarville, MI
906-484-3427

Sam
04-17-2001, 07:21 PM
Randy, did you get my e-mail regarding the Metro Beach outing. In any case I will be there with my 1996 16.

Sam

Tony
04-17-2001, 09:40 PM
Randy,
Count me in also, with my 67' Ski Sporter. My brother in Warren has a neighbor with a sweet '88 18' who will no doubt also join us.

Chris,
I am still interested in staying 4 or 5 days in Cedarville this summer...any thoughts on a clean cabin with a view and a dock? Thanks!

Riley
04-18-2001, 07:00 AM
Hi Tony, Sorry I haven't gotten back with you! Business has been kind of crazy lately. I'm enclosing some phone numbers for you for cabins, but you have to remember that most of the resorts up this way like to rent cabins by the week during the summer (usually Sat. morning to Sat. morning). Looks like I won't be able to make the AOTH, I've got a familiy obligation that weekend. However, this meet at Metro sounds like a great time! Here are the resort numbers:

Sandy Beach Resort (Steve or Tammy) 906.484.3387

Spring Lodge 906.484.2282

Les Cheneaux Landing (Mark or Esther)

Torsky's Resort 906.484.3342

I can also highly recommend the Les Cheneaux Motel. It's not on the water, but you can see the water from a lot of the rooms. The rooms are finished off in wood paneling and have a "cabin" feel to them. Most rooms also include a kitchenette, and the rates are reasonable. They also have plenty of parking for trailers, etc. It's also only about 100 yards from my house! Call Bill or Kathy at 906.484.2581......Let me know if you need more info or anything. Thanks, Chris

Tony
04-18-2001, 08:00 AM
Thanks, Chris, I'll make some phone calls. I'll also keep in touch and let you when we're coming up...it would be great to have some one show me around. The low lake levels have me a little freaked, especially if one is not familiar with an area!

Riley
04-23-2001, 09:27 AM
Hey Guys, any more news on this event regarding scheduling, docking, activities, etc? Will low water levels be a problem down that way? How has the response been so far? Any info you can supply will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Chris

Ranman
04-23-2001, 04:37 PM
We are scheduled for Saturday June 2. The water level on Lake St. Clair has been somewhat low, but I had no problem getting around last year. I'm not sure what to do about docking just yet, but I'm working on it.

As far as activities, I'm open for suggestions, but in the spirit of keeping things simple here's a tentative agenda.

9:00am - 12:00pm
- Gather at Metro (still determining exact location in canal), play show and tell and meet each other.

12:00 or 1:00 ish
- Head out to Strawberry Island (about a 20min ride) and toss out the anchor. The water level around Strawberry is 1.5 to 2 feet with a sandy bottom. Here we can talk, eat, drink, share boat rides etc..

4:00 or 6:00 or whatever
- Maybe head in for dinner (someplace on the Clinton River (another 20min ride mostly towards Metro Beach).

Finally, below is a list of people I have so far.

Randy Oak (Ranman) '97 18 Classic
Sam Pilato '96 16 Classic
Scott & Beth Boldt (Boldts) '69 18 2+3
Chris Riley (Riley) '99 18 Classic
Tony (Tony) '67 Ski Sporter
Tony's brother (?) Friends Donzi

The following folks have showed interest, but I have not yet confirmed their intent to attend. WHERE ARE YOU GUYS??? Send me your name, phone, boat so I can add you to the list.

Voodoocanoe
Doug (Old Yellar)
Oldredalert
Jerry H Eisele
jwright
Captain Rob
Dave Howe

Sam
04-23-2001, 08:36 PM
Randy, I was on the lake Sunday with no problems relating to water level. Like any body of water there are sand bars ect that you need to be aware of. Metro beach is fine, no problems at the ramp. I still think docking on the wall between the North and South harbor is the best spot for us. Even if you can get slips you will have a hard time getting on to the dock it self due to the low water level. Keep in mind that the slips where designed for larger boats with higher freeboards.

Sam

jwright
04-29-2001, 11:11 AM
I tried to email you (Ranman) but it came back. Drop me a line at jwright@novagate.com if you can.
I am interested in coming over, sounds like a good time. I have a 1976 GT-21 so it should fit right in.

MikeStar
04-30-2001, 08:21 AM
While I'm not a Donzi owner (yet), we'll probably cruise by to check out the show. If you see a 28' Powerquest (yellow/red/purple) rumble by, give a wave.

Also, I'd definitely suggest tying up on the seawall, and maybe bringing a ladder! The water at my marina is so low (or the docks are so high) we have to put a ladder on the dock to get on and off the boat - and I suspect my 280 sits a wee bit higher in the water than any classic Donzi...

Riley
05-09-2001, 08:29 AM
Hey Guys, any more info regarding this meet? Do we need dock reservations or anything? It's about a 6 hour drive for me, so I'd like to get everything set up well before I get there. Thanks!

olredalert
05-09-2001, 08:32 PM
RanMan,
Im definetly on for coming.I just dont know if it will be in a boat or not.We are working as fast as we can up here in Marine City,but if I do make it I wont have the interior done,and it would be a trial-run for sure.One way or another Ill be there!...........just.........Ol Red!

boldts
05-20-2001, 09:49 PM
Ranman,
Can you tell me what town is closest to Metro Beach? Beth and I are looking to come up Friday June 1st and I need to make reservations for a place to lay our heads. Looking forward to meeting some of the Donzi owners who couldn't make it down to Kentucky. I met Tony Sporer there and that is one hot both in looks and speed 16' SkiSporter he owns.

Scott Boldt

Sam
05-21-2001, 12:49 PM
Scott, try the Microtell @ 810-415-1000 or the RS Eastin @ 810-296-6700. They are within the city of Roseville aproxx 15min from the park.

Sam

boldts
05-21-2001, 09:23 PM
Thanks Sam. I'll give them a call.

Scott Boldt

boldts
05-22-2001, 07:19 PM
Beth and I have a reservation at Microtel. We should be up there around 7:00 or 8:00 Friday night depending on what time I can slip out of the office. Looking forward to a fun day on Lake St.Clare. Oops, got to clean the Donzi again. Hope the grass doesn't grow as much as the Awakening week. Should be a little easier this time.

Scott Boldt

Tony
05-22-2001, 08:24 PM
Glad to hear you're coming, Scott and Beth! Ranman, any more news on docking? What ramp would be the best one to use? About how many miles out is Strawberry Island, and how rough might Lake St. Clair get on a normal early-summer Saturday? Is there an updated expected guest list?

Ranman
05-23-2001, 07:09 AM
Tony, See if the post below "SE Michigan Get Together (5/21/01)" answers your questions. I'm not sure, but it seems like everyone missed that post?!?!?!

[This message has been edited by Ranman (edited 05-23-2001).]

Jim Powell
05-30-2001, 04:18 PM
Ranman,

How are things looking for this weekends gathering at Metro Beach. Wasn't planning on attending because of other plans, but things have changed and it looks like I should be able come up for the first part of the day.

Any updates on schedule / location, you can reach me at jpowell@cecom.com or just reply to this post.

Ranman
05-31-2001, 08:00 AM
Jim, Please refer to the more recent post: Info on Michigan Get Together. Thanks.

Voodoocanoe
05-31-2001, 04:55 PM
I will be there but not in a Donzi, I'll have the raceboat and if anybody is interested I will be more than happy to take you guy's for a ride, also if anybody needs tools/parts or help I'm located real close to Metro Beach.

boat pics here www.sunsationracing.50megs.com/photo.html (http://www.sunsationracing.50megs.com/photo.html)

boldts
05-31-2001, 06:38 PM
VooDoo,
Way to COOOOOL, Packing the Race Helmet in with all the other needs for the weekend.

Scott Boldt

Ranman
06-01-2001, 08:16 AM
Below is the detailed local forecast for Harrison Township, MI. It's not very favorable for boating. My thought is that it would be best to reschedule our meet. I need responses ASAP as to wether you still plan on attending tomorrow June 2. Thanks :-(

Tonight: Variably cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms. Low 50. Winds S to SW 5 to 10 mph. 50% chance of precipitation. Rainfall accumulations under a tenth of an inch.

Tomorrow: Cloudy with showers. High 63. Winds S to SW 10 to 15 mph. 70% chance precipitation. Rainfall accumulations of about a quarter of an inch.

Tomorrow night: Cloudy with showers and thunderstorms. Low 50. Winds SW 5 to 10 mph. 70% chance of precipitation. Rainfall accumulations of about a tenth of an inch.

Sam
06-01-2001, 09:04 AM
It dosen't look like the best weather but If others are willing I will be there.

Sam

FASTEDDIE
06-01-2001, 09:34 AM
Hey Gang, give my friend Gene Bright a call
at 517-548-0161. He lives in Howell,Michigan and is retired Dearborn police officer with time on his hands. He just bought a beautiful 1992 22 Classic and he's looking for Donzi friends to play with. Why not include him in your SE Michigan party?

------------------
FASTEDDIE

jwright
06-01-2001, 10:10 AM
I have been worried about the weatehr too... not sure if I want to do the drive and burn the gas... but I do have full canvas, so I could do it if everyone else is!
My weekends are filling up for the summer, so it might be hard for me to do it some other weekend. What ever the majority does is cool, just let me know!

Tony
06-01-2001, 11:15 AM
It seems pretty late to cancel, the weather report I've heard says rain in the morning but clearing off for the rest of the day. Cool temps we can handle...I plan on being there and hoping for the best.

boldts
06-01-2001, 01:14 PM
No turning back for me. Like the earlier post, weekends getting full. If nothing else, maybe I'll find a 22' Classic hiding up there to trade the 18 in on. Rain gear will be packed, but hoping for the best. Beth may not come with me since the weather is iffy. Any time with the Donzi engine started is better than the engine not running even if it's only to go park at a dock and wait the rain out.

Scott Boldt

Ranman
06-01-2001, 02:34 PM
O.K. here ir is! You guys are die hards! Rain or shine we will be there tomorrow, Donzis and all. I may arrive a bit later if the morning rain is heavy, but I will indeed be there. My guess is that there will be plenty of open slips in the North Marina.

My mobile number is 248-227-2015. Everyone should feel free to call me if you need assistance. Good luck and see ya tomorrow.

Randy Oak

Sam
06-01-2001, 03:20 PM
Ye ha !!!!! see ya there !
Sam

Riley
06-01-2001, 06:13 PM
Hey Guys,

Hope you all have fair weather and good boating this weekend. I just got in off the road for work, and after looking at that forecast I think I'm going to stick close to home for the weekend. I really hate to be a party pooper, but it'd be a 325 mile drive for me tonight, and that's a long haul for iffy weather.

Good Luck, Safe Boating to all! Fill us in on the event next week.

blue-z
06-01-2001, 06:39 PM
I will try to make it out. Will show for just before noon if all goes well and the weather is decent. From Windsor Ontario in Canada....land of money worth nothing but the best beer and strippers in North America.