PDA

View Full Version : Scott Pearson’s New Engine/Transom

Looped
04-14-2001, 10:17 PM
Here is a sneak preview of Scott’s new Engine setup:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1399308&a=11451597&p=46537864&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1399308&a=11451597&p=46537859&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1399308&a=11451597&p=46537855&Sequence=0&res=high

Scott Pearson
04-15-2001, 06:55 AM
Thanks Craig for posting them!

(NJ)Scott

BigGrizzly
04-15-2001, 07:16 AM
Nice job Scott!! Neet anD tidie. I always start that way but always loose it in the end.

Randy

Scott Pearson
04-15-2001, 10:45 AM
I think I'm missing something. I need to change the exhaust tips to the ones like that X-18 has that LOOPED posted a week ago. Damn....Now back to the drawing board.

(NJ)Scott

superhatz
04-15-2001, 10:00 PM
Is that a Donzi color?...I love it!

Formula Jr
04-16-2001, 04:07 AM
Beautiful workmanship Scott! Donzi ought to look at this.
Now, I may be way off base here, but your trim tab placement doesn't make sense to me. They're almost all the way to the chine. Closer to the keel is what people eventually do as their boats get faster. You're gonna want these tabs in the water at the smallest angle you can get to be effective. First reason, so you don't hook one on a landing and second reason, they create drag if deployed at an extreme angle. As close to the keel as you can get without hitting the drive is the placement of choice. You have them now above the lower stakes. At WOT this is where your waterline will probably be, so they will have an extreme angle to the water as they are now placed. They do look cool though with the twin cylinders.

[This message has been edited by Formula Jr (edited 04-16-2001).]

Scott Pearson
04-16-2001, 07:09 AM
Formula Jr,
I under stand where your coming from and I did alot of research into where to mount them. What I came up with is just as Madpoodle (Scott) has stated. All of those things could and will happen. When I talked to Bennett tech they where against it on this type of hull.

Im not looking to go 80mph or be jumping 6 foot waves. I'm sure it will be fine.

Scott,
I went with the joy stick type. I thought it looked cooler on my dash that I made (See Post).

Thanks Guys for the complements!

(NJ)Scott

GeneD
04-16-2001, 08:29 AM
Incredible.
I am speechless, for once.
I have one question though, and I don't think you are going to be able to answer it.
When doing up my exhaust, I wasn't able to clear the power steering unit and still have enough down angle. I had to get 1" spacers under the risers to get proper down angle, and move the holes in the transom up an inch or so to clear the ps unit.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Forrest
04-16-2001, 10:31 AM
What a fine job . . . my cup runnuth over!

------------------
Forrest

GEOO
04-16-2001, 12:41 PM
Scott, NICE!!!!! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif GEOO

Scott Pearson
04-16-2001, 07:18 PM
Gene,
I didnt have a problem at all with the power steering unit clearing. It was close but I have about an inch. I think the later power steering unit are different. Does yours look like the way mine is?

Yup, The ski rack had to come out. There was no other way to paint it and make it look good. The rack look as good as the rest of the boat. White with Orange pearl.

(NJ)Scott

green16
04-16-2001, 10:53 PM
Sorry about sticking those URL addresses into this post. I am trying to learn how to post/put these pictures into the forum. If any one wants to delete them from this thread feel free. You can see the final Gel Coat look to the Mean Green Hornet if you care to click on it.
Scott, that is beautiful work.
John Teixeira

RickR
04-17-2001, 10:06 AM
VERY NICE!!!!!
You should be able to reach thw water with the 12x12s unless your planning on mid 70s+.

Are you going with starboard steering?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Scott Pearson
04-17-2001, 01:06 PM
Rick,
Im keeping with Port steering. I know alot of people switch them. I wanted to be different.

(NJ)Scott

green16
04-17-2001, 04:22 PM
Alright madpoodle. You need to teach me now.
It looks like I was close. texjk@adelphia.net.

Jamesbon
04-17-2001, 09:39 PM
My God, that's beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished product.

What type of paint did you use on the interior and exterior?

Also, do you or anyone else have any more pictures of your engine mounting system?

[This message has been edited by Jamesbon (edited 04-17-2001).]

Scott Pearson
04-18-2001, 06:20 AM
Jamesbon,
Thanks, I used all PPG basecoat clearcoat on the outside of the hull and deck. The orange has Luminance over top of the base. The white has orange pearl over top of the base also. Both where then cleared. Looks outragious in the sun. The motor is done the same color as the boat but in single stage. It has nothing over top of it.

The motor compartment (Bilge) was all done with Zolatone. Its a water based material that is sprayed on.Once dried it wont wash off. It comes in loads of different colors. The one I picked has light gray speckles in it. Looks like trunk paint but a hell of alot nicer.

The front part of the hull inside and the underside of the deck I brushed on a single stage Polyurathene. I just wanted it clean looking so when I crawl under there I can see where everything is.

The moto mounting system is simple. I used two "L" brackets with flat stock on the outside of the stringer to sandwich stringer inbetween. I also have a cross bar that I made to go between the two brackets. I dont know If I'm going to use it or not.

(NJ)Scott