PDA

View Full Version : Arneson Rocker Plates

Scott Elgas
10-25-2000, 07:42 AM
Has anyone tried the Arneson Rocker Plates yet? Just curious how well they work. I remember seeing a post by Edward Donnelly awhile ago, he said his buddy put them on his 22' Classic. Any info would be appriciated. Thanks.

GEOO
10-26-2000, 12:45 PM
Scott, Tell me what you find out I may put them on my 18. GEOO

woodsy32
10-26-2000, 01:02 PM
I am waiting for some info from Rik Wimp over at Arneson. As soon as I recieve it I will post it here.

Dave

GEOO
10-26-2000, 03:09 PM
Dave, I copied the test results from Riks web page:
Here is a list of customer's boats that have benefited with the use of Arneson Rocker Plates®

Boat Type Length Engines Out Drives Performance Gains
Formula 38.2 Mercury Bravo 3 MPH in calm, 12 MPH in Rough Water.
Cigarette 38' Mercury Bravo 5 MPH in Turns, 3 MPH in calm water.
Carrera 25.7 Self Built Bravo 9 MPH
HTM 24' Self Built Bravo 7 MPH, Raised Ride Attitude
Talon 25' Self Built Bravo 11 MPH, Raise Ride Attitude
Express 38' Self Built Arneson 9 MPH, Raised Ride Attitude
Monte Carlo 44' Mercury Inboard 4 MPH, Raised Ride Attitude
Mayea 44' BPM Inboard 3 Knts, Raised Ride Attitude
Skater 36' Mercury Bravo Eliminated Porposing, 4 MPH
Spectre 36' Mercury Bravo Eliminated Porposing
Baja 33' Mercury Bravo 6 MPH, Raised Ride Attitude
Eliminator 22' Self Built Bravo 6 MPH, Raised Ride Attitude, Eliminated Porposing
Skater 40' Self Built Mercury SSM#6 7 MPH, Eliminated Porposing, Raised Ride Attitude
Cougar 32' V Hull Eickert Arneson Raised Ride Attitude, 4 MPH
Cuv 42' Eickert Arneson Eliminated Porposing
Skater 36' Sterling Arneson Eliminated Porposing, Lowered Nose Attitude in Rough Water Conditions. Raised Ride Attitude.

Your boat can be the next one to benefit from the Arneson Rocker Plates®. Whether your boat needs more bow lift or more efficient control in the rough water conditions, Arneson Rocker Plates® can help you enjoy boating more.

We offer various sizes and styled to fit most any boat with any Engine or Drive Package. We can make a set to fit your boat too.

GEOO

Edward Donnelly
10-26-2000, 08:56 PM
The Arnesons did not increase top end,but did improve the handling. It eliminated his porposing. Very expensive though $3,400

Scott Elgas
10-27-2000, 09:01 AM
What I'm finding out(so far) is that for boats that have a large rocker in the hull, the ability to put a hook it in with the plates dramatically improves the handling of the boat. But I have not heard much about a hull that has a hook trying to get more rocker out of it. It seems to me that if your hull has a hook in it it will always have a hook. Granted with the plates it would be less because the plates would "stretch it out" for lack of a better word. But your boat hull would still have the original "shape". I can see a small amount of increase of speed because the boat would now be riding on the plates more giving more bow lift. But it seems to me like you would have to re-work your hull to put a rocker in it than use the plates for control if you want to see big speed increases. But that's just my thoughts, and I may not know what the hell I'm talking about(again) http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Len
10-27-2000, 09:23 AM
OK. Now I need to get clarification on hook and rocker. Is "HOOK" what I see in the early '70's 16's? Is that where the hull, near or at the transom starts to head back towards the water? And, is rocker, the shape in the hull that is upswept. I guess, what I am trying to say here, would these hull conditions look like a pickle on the table rolled 180 degrees between the two aspects and exist only from bow to stern and not through the beam of the boat? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif

GEOO
10-27-2000, 10:01 AM
Hook is a concave section of the hull.
(bow) _____________------_____. (transom)

Rocker is convex section of the hull.

(bow) _____________-----------. (transom)

Some hooks are designed in the hull and are good for low speeds. These are the hooks on the outer chine. They are out of the water at high speeds and should be left in the hull to stop low speed porposing.
Hook in the wetted surface of the hull, at full throttle, will force the bow down and you will need excessive positive outdrive trim to lift the bow. Newer hulls have rocker built in to the hull to lift the bow. GEOO

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 10-27-2000).]

Len
10-27-2000, 10:24 AM
thanx...