PDA

View Full Version : History Repeating Itself

EricG
04-13-2001, 10:23 PM
I know this may not be a popular thread - but because my boat is an '88, made just prior to the OMC sale, I have spent a lot of time reading articles about Donzi and the whole industry from the late 80's.

There are many things going on now that remind me a lot of that period. First, the consolidations and bankruptcy's in the industry (OMC, Cigarrette, and even USMarine closed a couple of plants), and the economy slowing too. But the other thing I've really noticed is that Donzi has been rolling out and announcing lots of new boats, like they did just prior to the sale. The new 39 luxury model sort of reminds me of the 65 they made in the late 80's, and the fact that they announced the F2 racing program, but I haven't heard anything about it since? I certainly mean no disrespect to the current folks at Donzi because I think very highly of the current product line, and I realize that they have to roll out products to compete in several markets. I just hope we aren't seeing history repeat itself for the company.

EG

CDMA
04-14-2001, 01:09 AM
Interesting point however in my mind the fundamental problem with the late 80's Donzi's was quality. The currect ones are a far superior product.

Chris

Formula Jr
04-14-2001, 06:19 AM
The new Donzis are top tier boats. But I have always tried to steer this board to
dealing with the classics and the history involved. Cause thats the way it started.
Content is now all Donzi's and that is a difficult time-line to deal with - at least for me
since the company really lost sight, at times, of the niche they were selling to. I
don't want to tell people about their XX year boat cause, its got the name to it. But
you got to ask why, Donzi made a deck boat, or a SeaDo style jet. The vision,
the intent, of the Donzi company is still being blurred by boats like the ZXC 39. A Sunseeker "want-a-be." Donzi should never be a "want-a-be" company. The core buyer wasalways a balls-to-the-wall offshore kind of guy. Aronow sold the boats because he was the bad boy - the "Animal" that every other racer feared (and wanted removed)
because he cracked boats and broke bones. And pushed, and pushed with
dangerious designs like the Banana boats. This is why Reggie took the helm. He
understood this. Donzi has to get out front again. That means they gotta get another
genus like Wynne on the pay roll. Bat Boats? Who knows there are designs out there
that just don't get the company funding. Oky, end of rant. Flame away........

[This message has been edited by Formula Jr (edited 04-14-2001).]

BigGrizzly
04-14-2001, 08:45 PM
Sorry JR, your a little off base. I was involved with the boating seen from the 50 too now. For your info Reggie didn't take the helm, No one else wanted it. I watched Off shore from 120 mile events to Closed course events which are fun but not even close to the 1960s and 70s events. I will not elaboeate more but there is tons more. One more thing about racing there isn't any money for a boat builder

Randy

lou
04-15-2001, 04:56 PM
You guys are overlooking the fact that the best selling boats right now are the 35 to 45 sport cruisers. That is were the $$$$ sales are and Donzi is wisely going after that market, nothing more.

Formula Jr
04-15-2001, 06:53 PM
Well, nobody ever accused me of knowing what I was talking about! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

EricG
04-15-2001, 09:00 PM
I've been thinking more about this subject. I guess I should have given it more thought before posting, since I think it came off a little more negative than I inteded. Oh well, I just wanted to see if I could get an interesting conversation going since it's still not quite boating weather up here in the great NW.

EG