PDA

View Full Version : Importing Donzi to Ontario

Danny
10-23-2000, 05:55 PM
This post is primarily directed at Boxy and Len and of course anyonelse who reads it and knows the answer.
Coming across the US /Ontario border, with a Donzi & trailer purchased in the US you must pay GST & PST at the border on both, have at least proof of purchase for both if not the registration for both and a VIN on the trailer.
If the vendor delivers the boat to the Ontario side what reception do they get at the border? I assume they can bring boat and trailer over with little or no hassle. Money changes hands and the boat is mine. I pay PST on trailer when I change registration and I pay PST on the boat when I get invoiced by the ON revenue dept. after Canada Customs notifies them of my boat registration (which happens months later if ever). Is there still GST on the transaction and if so where is it paid? In Ontario you don't pay GST on a private boat sale.
Is there any way to get around the GST?

Danny

Len
10-23-2000, 07:15 PM
You pay GST on the product as far as I know because you are bringing it into the country, of US origin regardless of sale location. A better scenario is when the fella brings the boat under his ownership into Canada and "decides" to sell it to you when he's there. You might get away from GST in this scenario but I don't know. You have to register the boat regardless. The Pst people won't miss you for even a second and you won't get numbers without paying the piper. When he signs over the registration to you, (the back of form I believe, never seen US papers,)you take that to Customs Canada and Revenue Canada, now the same thing. Customs will look after the licensing of the boat and new numbers but will probably alert Revenue Canada of a sale and moneys due. If your boat numbers come from a different authority there then maybe you could beat the GST if the boat was sold on Canadian soil. You will NEED a bill of sale signed by previous owner.

Danny
10-23-2000, 08:28 PM
Len
That's the scenario I'm talking about ,the owner bringing the boat to Ontario and the deal actually happening here.
When you register the boat at your local customs office they inform the province by sending them a copy of the ownership transfer and the province invoices you for the sales tax literally months later, very inefficient system.
I don't know if the customs office collects the GST (I don't think so but I'm not sure) or if they inform Revenue Canada that a US registered boat has sold in Canada or if GST is due in that scenario.
In ON and I assume the same in BC you pay only PST in a private used boat sale and you pay PST and GST when buying from a dealer whether new or used.
Danny

Blewbyu
10-23-2000, 09:46 PM
The easiest way to do this deal is to do it in Ontario,California.You avoid all those 3 letter codes that mean TAX.
Only thing is-ya have to have a California Passport to enter the state from any other state(except Texas),and the boat has to have a 12 lb tampon in each exhaust pipe to prevent ANY emissions.

boxy
10-24-2000, 08:12 AM
Welcome to my world. Our company runs facilities at two border crossings, and an inland warehouse in Ottawa. First things first, Canada Customs is Revenue Canada, they are now called the Canadian Customs Revenue Agency. With NAFTA in full swing, our guardians of the worlds longest undefended border are now nothing more than glorified tax collectors, and since about 6 months ago they started collecting the PST for Ontario.
So basically it's now one stop shopping. You show up at your local Canada Customs office, register the boat, pay GST, PST, and head for the water.
Danny, your final statement is correct, if the GST has been paid once. If a boat is sold by the dealer, the tax is paid, and when it is resold it doesn't have to be paid again. If the boat is imported, whether new, or used, the tax still has to be paid.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

GeneD
10-24-2000, 08:32 AM
Guys,
Move to the USA, I'll sponsor you.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

CDMA
10-24-2000, 09:07 AM
That could be dangerous to your standing in society.

Len
10-24-2000, 12:30 PM
Just a note to add. Danny, I recently sold my '98 Chapparal to a friend/cousin in Seattle. He came up from there with his truck, paid me in US funds, I typed a bill of sale on computer for boat/drive and trailer and "sundries" (odds and ends of fun boat stuff) and since it was of US (Georgia) origin, it was "Welcome Home" and he didn't pay squat. What a contrast...

------------------
North, (way North) of Cuba...

Danny
10-24-2000, 07:42 PM
Thanks Boxy, I knew that was your area of experise. I just may accept GeneD's offer, at least there are more Donzis to look at and the Bay doesn't freeze in Florida.
Danny

Edward Donnelly
10-26-2000, 09:32 PM
You have to have the trailor certified by the D.O.T. then pay P.S.T. on the separate price of the trailor. Why pay P.S.T. or G.S.T.on the boat??? If it is being brought up to you from the states by the owner,keep the registration # from that state and just mail them the annual renewal fee each year.My 23' Criterion has Alabama # s.. Its a hoot when you get pulled over

Edward Donnelly
10-26-2000, 09:36 PM
AS I was saying its a hoot when you get pulled over by the harbour police on Lake Ontario. They ask me where in Alabama i am from, and how long will I be visiting here.With a slight southern drawl, I tell them I am from Birmingham, and I love it so much here in Canada, I am here for the whole summer...

Emmo
10-26-2000, 10:50 PM
Edward-
Tell them you live on the Warrior River between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa. I'll vouch for you http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

Len
10-26-2000, 11:09 PM
That might work if it is on a trailer,...but if it is left at an inland marina or on a patrolled lake you just might lose it. I know here they are only allowed to be in our marinas (salt) for a given period of time. People used to buy American boats, Washington etc and keep them in Point Roberts Wa. (very close to Vancouver, about a3 minute drive. Only thing is they were only allowed in Canadian waters a small percentage of the time if the owner was Canadian. They really want their tax...

boxy
10-27-2000, 07:56 AM
Ed, Len has it right, I think the only reason you've been successful is that you don't have to deal with US/Canada Customs every time you go boating. There are boats in the 1000 Islands that are US registered, but Canadian owned. Which is fine, but as soon as you touch land in Canada, and phone Customs, (like everyone does http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif ) they are going to want the cut of the taxes.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

Danny
10-27-2000, 03:38 PM
ED
Never seen a Criterion in real life, next time I'm in Toronto I'd go out of my way to see that.
I like your approach to the tax issue, There aren't too many Custom Officers on Georgian Bay to worry about either.
Danny