PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Block...arrggghhh

Pat
10-23-2000, 05:02 PM
A friend of mine (honestly) installed a brand new 454/Bravo 1 in his boat. He was able to get 5 hours on the motor before an unplanned call to sea duty (Navy) took him to sea prior to winterizing his boat. Upon return he noticed the freeze plugs blown. After replacing the plugs, the oil continues to get milky after the engine comes up to temp. Engine runs strong. We've replaced the exhaust risers, but still get water in the oil. Before tearing this baby completely apart, is there any chance anything besides the block has cracked? I would assume what water was left in the block would be down low and probably cracked the block.
He hauled the boat out from the East Coast and has offered to sell it. I'm trying to estimate repairs to the motor before getting too deep. Appreciate any comments.

RickR
10-23-2000, 07:04 PM
Probably a crack in the lifter valley area.
Sometimes it can be repaired (welded) but I wouldn't want the engine after the repair.
454 short blocks are not very expensive <$3000 but the heads, oil cooler, manifolds, water pumps and drive may be damaged also.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Blewbyu
10-23-2000, 09:31 PM
I thought NOTHING EVER FROZE in Escondido.

GeneD
10-24-2000, 09:00 AM
I don't want to speculate on where the blcok may be cracked, but I think it is a definite that it is cracked. And like Rick said, I wouldn't want the motor after a cast iron crack repair.
You HAVE to take the attitude that the motor is shot.
Here's a little story...
Years ago, one of my jobs, when I was still in high school, was to winterize the boat engines when it came home for the winter. I did this every year.
My brother, who didn't do jack squat on the boat, enjoyed the benefits fo the boat without doing a thing on maintinece.
So one year, I refused to winterize the motors and told my parents that my brother should do it. They agreed, and he was forced to actually do some work. I gave him all the required items, 4 gallons of anti-freeze for starters, then the obligatory Marvel Mystery Oil for the engine fog out.
Freaking kid didn't do a thing. He spilled some anti-freeze on the driveway to make it seem like he did something. And to make a long story short, both blocks, all the exhaust manifolds were cracked beyond belief. Nothing to repair. We ended up getting new motors.
I disassembeled the old blocks to see what I could salvage, and put all the parts in my garage.
Which was stupid, because the old motors had aluminum oil pans. Which my brother stole out of the garage and sold for scrap metal to buy beer.
I still haven't gotten an answer on what happened to the 4 gallons of anti-freeze and the two cans of Mystery Oil.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Pat
10-24-2000, 09:52 AM
BlewbyU, Motor froze on east coast and was hauled out here when my buddy got transferred....and it never rains in Southern California. The closest I've seen it get to freezing down here is maybe a little frost on a winter morning.
Winterizing a boat here means throwing a wetsuit and jacket in the boat on the way to the bay or river. 75 and sunny today lows in the 50's at night....now where did I put that jacket?
We'll tear it down but it looks like it's time to shop around for a short block.

Pat (CA)

Len
10-24-2000, 12:17 PM
What kind of boat is it?

Pat
10-24-2000, 03:46 PM
It's a '94 Stingray 698. I've been looking for a used 22 Classic, but as OWEN stated there's not a lot of them out here on the west coast. I found a new '98 at the dealer w/454 Mag MPI that is beautiful, but it's still a little rich for my blood. Maybe more will show for sale this winter.