PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 270 Steering "wobbles"

Craig
10-23-2000, 11:17 AM
Haven't looked real close yet, but suspect something on the old 270 is wearing out. Possibly bolt, etc on steering helmet. QUESTION: Should there be any play at all in the lower unit or should it be real tight (i.e. I can move unit right to left a little by hand).
Seems like this has slowly gotten worse and beginning to notice a little "skating" (for lack of a better word) occassionally while under way.

Craig

CDMA
10-23-2000, 11:27 AM
This exact problem has causes me to spend countless hours debating a fix. First things first replace all bushings and tighten bolts. That should help a lot. Also do not discount steering. The Big t steering is notorious for developing slop with age and also not how the cable is sercured to the transom or the stringer. Mine got loose and cause a lot of headaches. It can be fixed and you can get it to anacceptable level but in my mind the way to have a safe, controlable boat is to go to hydralic steering. Either internal ( avickers) or external ( Gene S and soon me)

Price tag $750 and some work

Worth it....I hope so

Chris

BigGrizzly
10-24-2000, 05:05 PM
They have a updated helmet ant intenal tiller that is a square not splined yoke. however i like the external hydralic there is no possibility of shaking unless the water intake tube is loose. this happened to my 270.