PDA

View Full Version : Paint or not?

boldts
10-23-2000, 07:53 AM
Fellow Donzi owners,
The hull on my 69 18' 2+3 needs to be cleaned up. If the scatches and nicks are repaired, will the boat now have to be painted or can gelcoat be matched? The boat has never been painted and due to it being a true classic, would painting the hull detract from it's value.

MattM
10-23-2000, 10:10 AM
This has been the subject of much debate here, check for prior threads. I think the consensus though is that a good polyurethane basecoat/ clearcoat gives the best finish and is way easier than gelcoat. Having done both I will NEVER re-gelcoat again!

Scott Pearson
10-23-2000, 05:25 PM
Paint is the way to go. Looks 100 times better and will hold up even more then gelcoat. The whole thing behind a great paint job is the prep work. 90% prep work
10% paint job. If the prep work is bad then the paint job will go bad or look like S--T.

I work for PPG Industries. We are the largest supplier of Automotive/Fleet paint in the world. I would be glad to answer any of your questions regarding paint and what to use. I'm in the middle of painting my 68' Donzi right now.

(NJScott

BERTRAM BOY
10-23-2000, 06:56 PM
I know most of you guys like painting opposed to re-gelcoating, and Scott P. , you think it looks better, But if you saw Richard Weaver's 14' Baby Donzi, think you might change you mind.
Andy Linstrom's boat is another good example of an excellent re-gel.....Just another 2 cents.
BERTRAM BOY

boldts
10-23-2000, 08:52 PM
Thanks gentlemen for your thoughts on the subject. Unlike you guys, I have no experience in doing any of this type of work. I will probably have someone do the work for me. I know, much more expensive, but not much choice since I don't want to mess the boat up worse than it is at present. Can you tell me what to look for in a person to do the work and NJScott, please tell me what type of products to have used on the boat. Is the rub rail still available from the original company?

OH Scott

Scott Pearson
10-23-2000, 08:57 PM
Bertram Boy,
Yes a good gelcoat job is nice but it is a hell of alot of work. I saw Weavers boat at the spring dust off in Lake George. I looked the boat over real good and its one hell of a nice boat and gelcoat job.

It will takesomeone 10 times as long to Gelcoat a boat then it would if they had painted it. I have seen alot of RE-Gelcoat jobs that looked great and more that looked worse. As far as paint goes its just the same...More bad jobs then good out there.

Buddy Davis sport fishing boats are all painted. They look outstanding. I think a good paint job will outlast a good gelcoat job any day. Gelcoat is to much work to take care off...fades to much to fast. A good paint job should stay shinny (DOI) forever.

(NJ)Scott

Blewbyu
10-23-2000, 09:24 PM
Scott(Pearson this time)-
I agree strongly with your paint vs gelcoat comments,and your prep comment,having done both.
In many cases,biggest or most doesn't mean best.In PPG's case however,you be the best or near best.I have NEVER yet had anything but the best product from PPG! You guys ROCK- and you know your stuff from lotsa years of doing the best.
BB-you're up to 8 cents in just the last three weeks!Thats a lotta opinion.After 12 cents worth-you have to cool your jets for a week just to keep from passin' out!Keep it up.

Scott Pearson
10-24-2000, 05:32 AM
Guys,
Dont get me wrong. If you can keep the orig gelcoat thats even better. Why paint or re-gelcoat something that just has to be touched up. As far as paint goes...There is lots of great paint out there. All products work out to be the same in the end. PPG, Dupont, Glaso, S/W, Spies, etc. Just use the whole system that is recommened. DON"T use somebodys primer with someone elses color, Clear, etc. Then your asking for problems.

Just my 25 cents...Is that what I'm up to now? Or is it 30 cents...I'v lost track.

(NJ) Scott

OceanCommotion
10-24-2000, 07:41 AM
Buddy Davis sportfishermen. Now there is a non-donzi that can absolutely make me drool.

boldts
10-24-2000, 08:22 AM
Thanks, NJ Scott.
Last night, I took a closer look at what really needs to be done with my Donzi. I also looked at the cost of a brand new Donzi and from the cost stand point, it will be much easier on my wallet if I restore my Donzi. I noticed quite a few blisters on the transom and my dark blue stripe running down the middle of the boat has started to crack and looks like a spider web. Maybe a prior fix that wasn't done very well or just the 31 years of a dark color apsorping the suns heat. I have always kept a good coat of wax on the boat since purchasing, but it looks like age and time have warranted a total restore. It sure would help if the boat didn't have so much nestalgia behind it and I didn't love the boat so much. I hope to find someone who will allow me to say what products are used in the restoration and even better, allow me to work with them on the project. Then I run into the problem of do I keep the boat as close to original as possible or do I update pieces like the old 250 Volvo to a drive with power trim, maybe hydralic steering? I figure that while the boat is being prepared for a beautiful paint job and clear coat, that this would be the time to make these changes also. Anyone know someone in the Ohio area that would be willing to take on a project like this with me? I see myself sitting at the bank signing papers for a loan all ready. My wife will want to bury me ahead of time.

BERTRAM BOY
10-24-2000, 06:42 PM
Only 12 cents?!!!! Damn I gotta find a new accountant.......
BERTRAM BOY

boldts
10-27-2000, 06:54 PM
Gentlemen,
I spoke with a marine restoration company today. They told me that Clear Coat is not used in marine applications. I noticed that NJ Scott recomended using the same companies products and the word Clear was in there. Is this company telling me wrong or is the word Clear used as a meaning for a special marine application that is like Clear Coat.

Scott Pearson
10-28-2000, 08:26 AM
Boldts,
This marine place said not to use a CLEAR COAT. But do they paint a single stage type of paint? Any good type of Urethane is catalyzed. If they do use a singel stage type of product it would HAVE TO BE catalyzed. So here is where I'm going with this...ALL urethane clears are catalyzed weather it be a POLY URETHANE or just a PLAIN URETHANE. Why not put more protection on a paint job with clear coat? Most likely its because the place that is doing it doesn't believe in it or they don't want to be bothered.

Not clear coating does't make a job bad. Its just how far you want to take something. In most cases boats are just a stright color. White, Red, Blue, etc. you really dont have to clear coat stright colors...But like I said...How far do you want to take something? How much do you want to spent?

Me...when I paint something I clear coat and let it sit a week so that all the solvent leaves the film. Then I wet sand the entire project and RE-CLEARCOAT (Flow coat). It looks like a piece of glass. I will NOT buff anything...Its to much work. And I guarantee you by doing it this way it definitely wont look like GELCOAT.

But hay...What the hell do I know.

(NJ) Scott

boldts
10-28-2000, 10:56 AM
Thanks Scott. The reason they gave me for not using a clear coat was that it would chip off and it had no UV ray protection. Scott, you obviously know alot more about restoring boats than I do. I trust the information I get through this web site because you all have experienced the good and bad of boat projects. I am printing every piece of advice that has been sent my way. Thanks again.
P.S. The paint this company is using is called Awlgrip. I've heard this name before, but if Cart, NASCAR, and just about every other racing faternity is using PPG, it most be the best product out there even if you may have to pay more for it.

Scott Pearson
10-28-2000, 02:59 PM
Boldts,
The reason they gave you is 100% incorrect. A good clearcoat is designed with UV screening. Thats the whole point in clearing something. The reason why a clearcoat product is so much money is because of the UV thats put into the product. Thats the most expensive part of the product. The resin and binders are the cheap part in the process.

As far as chipping goes that doesn't make any sense either. If anything it will protect it more.

I would look for someone else to do you boat. It sounds to me like these guys are full of S--T or they dont know what the hell they are doing or maybe just B.S.ing you. I would without a doubt look elsewhere.

Good luck.

(NJ) Scott

boldts
10-28-2000, 03:27 PM
Sounds like a good idea Scott. I'd really like to find someone who will let me work with them on the boat. Not just to save money, but to learn and plus, its my boat.