PDA

View Full Version : Towing?

Bob
10-20-2000, 11:45 AM
What do people use to tow classic 18's,22's?
I'm looking at buying one or the other and want to know if I can tow either with a 4.0 liter SOHC Ford Explorer. Anyone out there with this tow vehicle or recommendations? Is there a big difference between the boat weights with regard to trailering?

GEOO
10-20-2000, 12:28 PM
Bob, I would check your owners manual for the truck rated towing capacity. I think you'll be fine with either boat. I have used my Jeep 4.0 Wrangler to tow my 18 Donzi with no problems, ( jeep is rated for 2000lbs, 18 Donzi weighs (+-) 2500lbs + trailer 600lbs = 3100lbs. Don't forget to add the weight of the trailer and boat when figuring the towing weight. Make sure you get a trailer with brakes!!! Alum. trailers weigh less then galv. steel. GEOO

Looped
10-20-2000, 01:20 PM
Bob,
The first thing to do is get ride of the Firestones! You don't need a blow out while towing.

Craig

Barry Phillips
10-20-2000, 01:27 PM
Bob: I tow my Classic 18, dry weight
2600 lbs + trailer, fuel 42gallons, and
gear, allow 100 lbs with a V8 Dodge
Dekota 4x4 pickup rated to pull 6,200
lbs. The Dodge has a nice long
wheelbase but the its tough seeing
over the bed cover backing down and
unloaded trailer. I like the wive's V8
Grand Cherokee better in this regard
just open the tailgate. The Jeep is rated
to tow 6,800 lbs with a class 4 tow
package. Your Explorer should tow
42 to 5,500 depending if it's 4X4 or not.
It should tow an 18 fine, use a class 3
reciever hitch and ad a trans cooler if
you don't have one already. I would not
trust the bumper hitch the Explorers come
with. You can add about 1,200 to 1,500
lbs for big block 22, I think your Explorer
will be at it's limit. I would consider
something with a V8 like my Dekota or
Jeep maybe a fullsize pickup.
SO-SLO

Looped
10-20-2000, 01:38 PM
Madpoodle,

I have a F150 4x4 Supercab with the same 139" wheelbase. Tows like nothings back there. Having all four doors full size would be nice though.

Craig

RickR
10-20-2000, 01:53 PM
Bob
18=2600 dry so figure around 2900+trailer 600# for aluminum Tandem
22=3300 dry so figure 3700+700(trailer)
My biggest concern would be the short wheelbase on the Explorer. I'd get a good tandem trailer with good brakes.
At least you don't have hills and snow.

Gas weighs 6#/gallon
2X Batteries @ 55#
Water and oil in block
Gear

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Blewbyu
10-20-2000, 02:22 PM
Bob-We tow an X-18 on an aluminum single axle trailer (no brakes)that weighs 2930 lbs with 25 gal boat tank full.We have the older (1991)Eddie Bauer Explorer (160hp)with the limited slip 3.73 axle,2 1/4 in exhaust,and tow package that includes the trans cooler.We tow several times a year to Pend Oreille Lake in Idaho from Seattle area-over Snoqualmie Pass (about 3000'),down into Columbia Gorge and back up again,and often at temps over 100 degrees.I do complete trans fluid change every second year just before trip-and add 1 qt Redline ATF.Never have had a problem-but would recommend a trlr w/brakes for sure.I'd hate to have to make a panic stop with my setup-so I leave BIG safety zone in front.My son tows a 4400 lb Wellcraft w/dual axle trlr (brakes)with same car and smaller stock exhaust-no problems-and his stops great.Your SOHC should have plenty of grunt for either boat.The V8 only has 5hp more than your rig.You should be fine.

Blewbyu
10-20-2000, 02:34 PM
Forgot to mention-o/o Seattle/Pend Oreille is 375+miles.Snoqualmie Pass is approx 15-18 miles steady uphill,return trip coming uphill from Columbia River gains 2900' elevation in 11 miles.When daytime temps forecast to be over 105 degrees-I get up EARLY in the am to tow the steep parts while it's cooler.

EricG
10-20-2000, 03:25 PM
I tow my '88 Z21 with a V8 Dodge Dakota 4x4. My truck is rated for 4800 lbs. Boat weighs 3200 + 70 gal fuel + OLD tandem Trailer with surge brakes. First time down a large hill, overheated and warped the Trucks front rotors (frustrating, when the truck only had 5000 miles on it, luckily, under warranty). I'm over the weight limit for my truck, and while the V8 tows great....Stopping is very scary. Now I only use my truck for short trips to the local launch, anything longer I now use my dad's F250 V10. I guess my point is that I recommend paying close attention to the rating on your rig....it's there for a reason.

As an aside....my step-dad has the Dodge V10, real dad the Ford.......The dodge runs circles around the ford!!!

EG

Looped
10-20-2000, 03:31 PM
Gotta watch the load with those new Dodges, the axles like to split in two with too much weight.

Emmo
10-20-2000, 04:52 PM
I know a certain Honda executive who tows his 22' Donzi with a Honda Odyssey but I will let him remain nameless as his employer owns the tow vehicle. I have driven the Explorer with the V6 and always felt like saying "where's the beef?" but have been impressed with the V8 powered Mountaineer. 5hp, huh? Hmmm. I wonder what the torque of the V6 is in the same RPM range as the 5.0's peak torque.

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

BillG
10-24-2000, 08:00 AM
250 vs 288 lb/ft at 3000 rpm.

Bill G

boldts
10-24-2000, 08:36 AM
When I first bought my 18' Donzi classic, I had a 67 Chevelle with a 327 V8. Never had a problem. I then moved into a Chevy S-10 Blazer with the 4.3 V6. Again, no problem getting the boat out of the water on some pretty steep launch ramps. While towing the boat in the PA mountains, I ran into a problem with what was called a EGR valve. It seems when this thing sticks shut, you lose the vacumn to the power brakes. It took some real calm and collective thinking to get everything stopped at the bottom of the mountain. I wished the trailer had brakes. I took the truck to the service center and they said there was no recall on this EGR valve, but it was a known problem. Long story short, I traded the S-10 Blazer in that day on a 1999 Tahoe. My wife and I love the 4 drs. and it tows the Donzi like nothings back there. The ride on trips is so much better than the smaller Blazer although the S-10 Blazer got better around town MPG.

TD
10-24-2000, 06:16 PM
My 10 year old Isuzu Trooper with 120000 miles on it's little old 4 banger pulls my X 18 just fine. I have gone as far as 100 miles from home, and as long as I'm not in a hurry pulling some of the hills here in KY we do just fine. Low range at the ramp saves on the clutch too. Honest!!!!

Scott Pearson
10-24-2000, 08:42 PM
1996 Chevy crewcab 4X4 3500 series. 6.5 turbo diesel.....No problem at all!

In fact I could most likely pull a med. size house.

It will be for sale soon...Very, Very, Very clean truck. Black with Tan gut. 39,000 miles all highway. Power everything. Tow package. NEVER 4 wheeled...EVER!

(NJ)Scott

Owen
10-24-2000, 09:39 PM
'95 one ton Chevy G30 Van, 454 with full factory towing Pak.
You have to check the mirrors to tell if you're towing anything.
The nice part is passing cars going up the Cascades.

Tony
10-24-2000, 09:52 PM
My '67 Ski Sporter, plus trailer, weighs 2700 lbs. My '95 Dodge Caravan Sport, with transmission cooler and V-6 engine, does just fine even though rated to only 2,000 lbs. Mind you, we have limited hillage here in Michigan, and I definately do not hot rod. The trailer is set up for surge brakes and I plan on re-connecting them next spring. Also, I have never even come close to slipping coming up a ramp...despite front wheel drive.

Next vehicle for us will likely be a conversion van, since when pulling the boat I cannot pull my camper...thus the need for a tent on wheels. This will be pull much better than my wimpy minivan. Lake George, Orlando, Les Cheneaux Islands...here we come!

GeneD
10-25-2000, 09:10 AM
I've been avoiding the thread for the obvious reasons.
I tow my Classic Donzi with a 1975 Corvette.
The turbo 400 tranny combined with the HO 350 is a very good combination, however...
It is killing the rest of the car.
I now have a HD rear spring, after breaking two regular springs, and now my differential yokes are showing signs of extreme wear and the rear wheel bearings require replacement every 6 months or so.
Not to mention the wiring harness for the trailer eventually screwed up my rear tail lights. Corrosion took it's toll on the connectors. I just recently ripped everything out and had to solder some stuff and use new waterproof connectors.
A truck would be nice.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Pat
10-25-2000, 10:01 AM
1994 F350 Crewcab 4x4, 7.3L ATS Turbo Diesel

I could pull the garage behind Scott, but it's not the pulling power I like, it's the braking power.

I like the longevity of the diesel. 150,000 miles and still as strong as new.

roadtrip
10-25-2000, 12:10 PM
We just downsized from a 32 fountain to a 22 classic. We've pulled our boats thousands of miles in search of the perfect water, hence the handle "roadtrip".
Our current road warrior is a 97 dodge cummins dually. We've pulled stumps with it and boats all the way up to a 42 fountain.
The key is to buy as much tow vehicle as you can. A long wheelbase and a manufacturer tow rating that meets your boat weight are critical. Also, buy diesel and all the tow accessories (hitch, brakes, and coolers) that you can. They will extend the life of your road beast.
Finally, carry a toolbox and a spare for the trailer. S*** happens on the road and chances are it will at the wrong place and time. While I am not a boy scout, be prepared is a great motto. Happy towing, Donzi brothers!

BigGrizzly
10-25-2000, 10:10 PM
I have a jeep grand cherokee with a v8 tows my 18 great. My wife has a ford Expidition with the 5.4 v8 it also tows the 18 great. they both tow the 22Criterion great as well, and back the boats up my steep driveway easily.

GeneD are you shure the rear of the Vetts problem is only caused by the boat and not the guy in the Mustang next to you.

green16
10-26-2000, 10:11 PM
I'll have you guys laughing soon. My wife and I began towing our X-16 with a six cylinder Buick Regal. Stock shocks but did add a transmission cooler and a U-Haul frame hitch. We bought the boat and single axle (no brakes)trailer in September, stored it in the sellers garage that winter as part of the deal and drove it from Lake George to Iowa City the next July. It ran great (I think). She was driving behind me as I drove the Ryder moving truck pulling a Chevy Beretta. We must have been a sight driving into the Iowa City Hy-Vee grocery store parking lot for directions because they were getting out the city map when we walked in to ask. We've since towed with both the 8 cylinder and 6 cylinder Jeep Grand Cherokees, both with the full tow packages and have had no problems. It is nicer with the 8. Turn off the Overdrive with the 6. Just follow the specifications and you'll have no problems.

Emmo
10-26-2000, 10:25 PM
I pull my 18 with a 1983 F150 that has 350,000 miles on it. It has a 4.9L six and a "granny gear" four speed. In Florida I used to pull my 5,500 lb Fish Nautique with it but the tallest hills were the bridges on I75. With the granny gear and 3.55 posi, I never even use the gas to pull it out of the water. Having a tandem wheel trailer makes it much better, especially when you lose a trailer tire and I have had some close calls trying to stop without surge brakes. BTW- That old six has a 32/38 Weber carb, Clifford 6=8 intake and a Hooker header. the clutch is original as is the tranny! I only got 210,000 miles out of the original engine.

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

Varyak
10-29-2000, 12:34 PM
I tow my 2001 18 w/single axle alum. trailer behind a Jeep Cherokee (6 cyl) with the 5000lb rated, factory installed, Class III towing package. PLENTY of power and control. I also tow an enclosed race car trailer with car (total about 4000lb with spares) and experience absolutely no problems even in the mountains. Skip the big trucks and SUV's. I get 20mpg around town, and 16MPG towing either the boat or the race car. Jeep has plenty of room for everything including folks in the back seat. Passed on the Grand Cherokee becaus it is just heavier, but not more powerful (same 6 cyl). Unless you really are towing something big, don't overspend. You can spend more and get bigger, but you will not tow your 18 any measurably better than with the Cherokee. No, I do not work for DaimlerChrysler.
Mark

CDMA
10-29-2000, 12:42 PM
I can squeel my rear tires towing my donzi with a 98 Dakota. Of course not stock.
Chris

Scott Pearson
10-29-2000, 09:01 PM
I was only kiding about my truck...I really tow my boat around with a 1980 Chevette. I also tow my 51 foot Buddy Davis with the same car, but I had to install a tranny cooler. The Chevette doesn't miss a beat going up those hills in So.Dakota hauling my 51 Foot Buddy Davis with a full load of fuel and water.

(NJ) Scott

Owen
10-30-2000, 04:07 AM
Every time I drive my truck back east, it decreases the earth's rotational speed by 3 trillionths of a second. Being a responsible person, I always drive it back west to even things out.. ......
I'm not allowed to go north or south - that would cause a wobble.

Christian
10-30-2000, 06:23 AM
I tow the 23 SeaCraft, and the 18 with my 351 bronco. If i am lucky dad lets me use the psd F350

Christian
10-30-2000, 12:39 PM
Scott, et all, hello.
indeed, busy with school plus making those r/c boats have got me extremely busy! but I never miss a post! the 18 is doing well I can't wait to see pictures of your new X and Chris' yellow 18. Moreover, I just like to listen and read what everyone has to write no reason to write all the time.
stay well
Christian

Christian
10-30-2000, 08:32 PM
Scott,
the 16. well I convinced the fork lift guy to drop it down. It has to be a SC b/c the bottom is a dead give away. no ids anywhere. has a merc gimble no drive. astro turf carpet. the boat is really ahead of its time its about as wide as a # 2 pencil. needs everything, no motor rub rail; but would be a awesome project! anyway, it turns out that the man who owns it is the owner of this backyard / outback boys type marina on what seems to look like a sliver of water ... But get this he is a current F-2 racer. He owns a CRC sponsored formula. and he doesn't want to sell. I still am very interested in the history of this boat . I can’t find any reading material on it. any inf. I get I will let you know. I must attend to studies, I never have written this much, I feel like I am reading one of genes posts so as a tribute to our Tim the tool man of thunder row - may all your donzi probs. vanish with every blip of the throttle, and yes a X deck is in the works.

GeneD
11-01-2000, 08:50 AM
Oh Chris, either you flatter me, or I don't know what!
Big G, stopped racing back in 1986 when I got my first Corvette. Now I just drive around looking cool!
I have decided to throw caution to the wind and put a 6 banger chevy into my S-10. Gonna be a little tense seeings how this thing is all rigged up for a 4 banger EFI. I'll be installing a V-6 carburated engine from, no kidding, an El Camino. It's taking up space in my buddy's shop and it has to go!
Also, got the word that I am gettin another truck to screw around with. I think it's a Toyota or something like that. Needs a clutch, and a major cleaning. How much you ask?
NOTHING! Take it away!
Now I'll be two trucks in, with neither one running!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida