PDA

View Full Version : Boattrader

Len
10-19-2000, 08:30 PM
I see there is a '66 St. Tropez for sale in Florida. Price is half that of the other one in there. Comes with a new Continental trailer to boot. Is this the first year?

Ok, which came first and when were the trade-offs?
Cigarette
Donzi
Formula
Magnum
(Squadron?
What/who was Don working on/for when he passed away in (86?)

GEOO
10-20-2000, 08:02 AM
Gene, You can answer this one better then I, probably with the exact dates. GEOO

GeneD
10-20-2000, 08:23 AM
I can't do the exact dates, someone walked of with my copy of "King of Thunderboat Row".
Bastard.
Anyway, it goes like this:
Formula
Donzi
Magnum
Cary-Aronow
Cigarette
Squadron 12
Cigarette
USA Racing Team (Blue Thunder)
Don Aronow had just sold The Blue Thunder contract to Ben Kramer for an undisclosed amount, when the Customs people found out about it. Ben Kramer was under investigation for drug smuggling at the time. Customs contacted Aronow and told him in no uncertain terms that if he didn't get the company back, they would cancel the contract.
Aronow called Kramer and his dad in and in effect, ripped up the contract, leaving the Kramers holding the bag for a rumored $650,000 under the table payment.
Soon afterward, he was contract murdered on Thunderboat Row. The go-fast boat manufacturing area he had solely developed and made famous the world over.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 10-20-2000).]

MattM
10-20-2000, 10:07 AM
My Copy of "Don Aronow" is never farther than arms reach.

Formula - 63 to late 64
Donzi late 64 to 66
Magnum - June 66 to early 68
Then Don built and raced the two Cary built 32' Cigarette race boats until 70.
Cigarette - Early 70 to 78
Squadron 12 - 78 to early 81
Cigarette - early 81 to May 82
USA Racing - June 83 to 87

Len
10-20-2000, 10:47 AM
thanks

Len
10-20-2000, 09:28 PM
Scot, is your reply to "Keny" or "Lenny"? If so, (Lenny) I'd like to see your pics. Has anyone seen the boat that Looped sent me pic's of the, the x-18 in FLA with a broken crank for about $4G US and lots of "extra" decals on the side and a tandem trailer?

boxy
10-20-2000, 10:32 PM
Is that the one with the NASCAR decals on it ?

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

Looped
10-20-2000, 10:46 PM
Boxy,
It is. The crank & bearings were damaged do to an oil leak (sorry Len if I said broken). It still looks decent with the original gelcoat. Can't beat the price!

Craig

boxy
10-20-2000, 10:53 PM
Okay then here comes the late night $20 question. About a year or so ago the owner sent me some pics of that boat, but they came from Madpoodle's e-mail account. Is the boat still in FLA., and did Scott look at it before he bought his X-18.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

[This message has been edited by boxy (edited 10-20-2000).]

Len
10-21-2000, 01:30 AM
Inquiring minds need to know about this X-18. Original Gel job sounds promising.I thought "the other Scott" had the yummy Robin's egg blue and white 18 classic, rumored to be for sale shortly, not an X?

Looped
10-21-2000, 10:05 AM
Madpoodle,
You would know alot more than what I was told by the owner. It must be a block or two away from you. I was going to ask you if you have see this X-18 before.

Craig

Blewbyu
10-21-2000, 10:33 PM
Scott-(madpoodle)-
Who has the title for "most Donzi's"?????I haven't kept track-I know Forrest is up there,but how many are you harboring now?How many others have two or more?You guys in Florida gotta loosen up on your stock a little so Len can get another one up here in the Northwest Territories!
Scot VanA-you had advertised a clean 18 Classic for a friend-and Len had asked for pics,but I never saw a reply to his quest.Did that boat go away?If it is still for sale-could someone post some pics?Bet Len would hook up if he didn't have to ship 3000 miles,and Texas is a whole lot closer.
I need to see Len get a Donzi-it's making a nervous wreck outta me!

Len
10-21-2000, 11:05 PM
Blewbyu, the only thing keeping ME sane is Okanogan Spring Lager, heh,heh,heh......they don't have that in Florida, and I mean a lot of it. What sucks tho is that it is made locally and is cheaper to buy in the States even after the dollar conversion. 38% taxes in BC really take their toll on everything. I'm getting closer with the boat thing, I can feel it. Started the QUEST in July. This thing with my buddy going south (like a bird) for 6 weeks this winter might just make taking delivery/recieving a lot better, not to mention easier. He's driving, alone, down to hot areas in a GMC van, 350 etc. No problem hooking up to something. I would send him down with a new trailer,tandem, galvanized, BC insured, oh!...and he gets a kick out of things when they go horrribly wrong. Made for the job I think.

Madpoodle, hot fast is your boat (GPS), the one for sale? Would you part with it less trailer? If so, then how much is it? Oh and buy the way,I agree with Jeff, it's not fair that some of you have 2-3 of these things and I can't drive for 4 days straight and even SEE ONE!

------------------
North, (way North) of Cuba...

GeneD
10-23-2000, 08:28 AM
Len,
We all make concessions for where we live.
I made a huge concession when I decided to move to Florida.
I no longer have my brother stealing my quarters out of my change jar to buy beer.
My mother is no longer on my back to get married.
My father no longer complains about being too low in the Corvette.
And I do not have a white Christmas.
We have to tolerate sunny days 300 days of the year.
Moderate temperatures that force you to take your boat out 2-3 times a week.
Dealing with bikinis 12 months out of the year.
The list just doesn't end!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Len
10-23-2000, 10:31 AM
sounds horrible http://www.donzi.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Kenn
10-23-2000, 10:40 AM
Gene,

Your killing me with all your concessions.

Kenn

Len
10-23-2000, 02:53 PM
Scot, you didn't answer the speed/money question. Wait until you have some spare time inbetween reeling in sailfish and eating crab... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif