PDA

View Full Version : 1987 18' Classic ?

Jamesbon
04-04-2001, 11:43 AM
With the restoration of the GT looming closer and closer, I've been searching for a second boat to use while she's away. I know a center console is more practical, but after riding in Gene's 18, I have the itch for something a little faster and infinitely classier than a center console.

Is there anything I should consider or look for if interested in this boat http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?8087676

Nate

Looped
04-04-2001, 11:57 AM
Jamesbon,
Looks like you found one of the last Donzis made before OMC took over. You may want to CAN the aftermarket windshield though.

Craig

jkeefe
04-04-2001, 12:04 PM
THIS IS NOT FAR FROM WHERE I LIVE. IF YOU
WOULD LIKE FOR ME TO TAKE A CLOSER LOOK LET ME KNOW. JACK

Bad Dog
04-04-2001, 12:53 PM
I have an 87 that looks almost exactly like this one (without the windshield).

It is the last year before OMC and is a great boat. The price, assuming the hours on the engine is not too bad, is a good price for it, especially with the trailer which looks pretty nice.

The only problem I had with my boat was that I lost the upper transmission drive last year (a couple of other guys on the list have had that too) depending on the usage and how it was used that might have already happened or be in the future. It's about a $3,000 fix.

Also, the throttle on the 87 year sucks. I had mine replaced with a new one. Much more sensitive and "feels better". I also don't know if this one has trim tabs, but mine had it when I bought it. Definitely something I would recommend.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Bret

------------------
Bret Pedigo
bret@emji.net

BERTRAM BOY
04-04-2001, 04:18 PM
Nate,
That doesn't seem like too bad a price for an 18', and with a TANDEM trailer. I did notice the cool wrap around windsheild. Is that common for those years?
BERTRAM BOY