PDA

View Full Version : volvo drive model???

Moody Blu'
07-19-2002, 10:46 AM
Hi!

I have a serial # from a volvo drive and was wondering if any of you could decipher what model it is?
I know it has trim and tilt.....

heres the number: 2758664 B

im pretty sure its a 17 spline - is the 250 a 17 spline?
if this contradicts the serial# let me know...

does anyone happen to know the ratio of this drive?
m.o.p.-help me ouuuuuttt!! wink

Forrest
07-19-2002, 10:56 AM
Wouldn't that be a 270 or a 275 model? If the ratio is not on the ID plate on the upper gear case, probably where you found the serial number, it may be stamped on the lower unit near the prop-shaft behind the zinc collar.

mattyboy
07-19-2002, 12:11 PM
Moody you have to count the teeth the shafts might have been replaced some were even replaced with a shaft that took merc props. you can always do the manual turn thingy to find out what the ratio is but that a pain.
my 250 is 1: 1.62 they had other ratios 2 I look at the book when I get home.

it might be a 270

Matt

Moody Blu'
07-19-2002, 04:21 PM
i got some pics, please dont cringe though.....
someone decided to paint the drive red, nothing a little sanding wont take care of....

http://www.donzi.net/photos/volvo_drive.JPG

do you guys think this hydraulic trim will fit under the hood?
http://www.donzi.net/photos/transom.JPG

Moody Blu'
07-19-2002, 09:17 PM
does no one know?

Gearhead99
07-20-2002, 06:43 AM
Looks like a 270 to me.

Does it have tilt??

Moody Blu'
07-20-2002, 12:54 PM
yes it has tilt does that make itr a different model#?

oh and do the 270 series have a longer shaft than a 250???

does anyone have this drive in there donzi?
im trying to figure out if that hydraulic pump will hit my hood or not??

big griz, M.O.P. ,Geoo, or anyone else! HELP!!

i have to know if its worth putting a deposit down for the drive. cuz it has a 302 bell housing, which will bolt to my 351w.....

Gearhead99
07-20-2002, 03:34 PM
I changed a 250 to a 270 without tilt. The drive was the same size and fit the 250 horse collar.

MOP
07-20-2002, 07:57 PM
You are looking at Art's drive here on the island. Its an interesting piece. It is an oldie from fresh water, I have only seen one before on a high preformance setup. It is a true early trim & tilt, I spoke with Art about it and was not sure till I saw the photos. It should be a tough unit, the thing you will run into is accesory parts like the seals for the trim unit. You will have to hunt that stuff up, if the trim pump blows replace it with Merc or OMC. You can if you can get the part #'s get most every part from Volvo they are really good on old stuff. I know what he wants, to me its cheap. The only way for sure to get the ratio would be to research it with Volvo, they probably offerd it with a coulpe of choices. As long as the tag is still on the drive neck you are home free. By the way I got the intake off the engine from that boat, looks like new. Art is thinking of putting the engine in his truck it ran so sweet. P.S. Art has some interesting Volvo steep pitch props.

MOP
07-20-2002, 08:01 PM
You are looking at Art's drive here on the island. Its an interesting piece. It is an oldie from fresh water, I have only seen one before on a high preformance setup. It is a true early trim & tilt, I spoke with Art about it and was not sure till I saw the photos. It should be a tough unit, the thing you will run into is accesory parts like the seals for the trim unit. You will have to hunt that stuff up, if the trim pump blows replace it with Merc or OMC. You can if you can get the part #'s get most every part from Volvo they are really good on old stuff. I know what he wants, to me its cheap. The only way for sure to get the ratio would be to research it with Volvo, they probably offerd it with a coulpe of choices. As long as the tag is still on the drive neck you are home free. By the way I got the intake off the engine from that boat, looks like new. Art is thinking of putting the engine in his truck it ran so sweet. P.S. Art has some interesting Volvo steep pitch props. Get art to measure from the shaft up to the top of the tilt ram, you should be able to dope it out from there if it will fit. Sure hope so trim is so nice to have.

MOP
07-20-2002, 08:02 PM
SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE CLICK!!!!

Moody Blu'
07-21-2002, 09:18 AM
thanks m.o.p.

he told me you bought that stuff....

I think im gonna test those props next week........
and then choose..

Blewbyu
07-21-2002, 01:22 PM
Looks like the early 270, but I don't believe the 270 ever had trim/tilt.280's and later had the exhaust thru the anti-cav plate.Would guess 275, and very rare w/trim.The hard parts of the trim/tilt may be hard to find,but seals can be had almost anywhere.Very sanitary looking unit (paint will make it look new).If you are going to use it in salt,be sure to Vaseline all the pump fittings and electrical cxns.These drives are TOUGH as long as you keep the water out of them.

Blewbyu
07-21-2002, 01:27 PM
PS-250 and 270 shaft lengths the same.

Moody Blu'
07-21-2002, 06:13 PM
thanks, I think im hearing strange noises in the drive so I may be out of commision soon unless i buy that sucker.......

I gotta get the cash up to put down a deposit.

hopefully by next week.

pssst,
Anyone think they can float 2g's my way for miscelaneous boat parts??

I need a interior too :p