PDA

View Full Version : F-33 performance

thedonz
07-19-2002, 01:57 AM
I have a 1988 F-33. Does anyone know how much horsepower this boat can handle. The sticker from the factory rates it at 550hp. I am wondering though how much power the boat can really accomodate. Any thoughts? I'd like to get it into the 70s.

BOATMON
07-19-2002, 08:03 AM
Donz,
I agree with madpoole 70's with this boat is pushing it. I have 97' 250 EFI MERCS. My boat is rigged as sport utility vessel (SUV). I have a full arch top, a redesigned leaning post and rear seat, and 18 ft outriggers. With 300 gals of fuel, 20 gal water, dive gear, fishing gear, misc, two adults and 2 children I see low 50's at 5400 RPM and eat over 50GPH. I like to cruise at 3800-4200 and depending on sea state will run at about 35kts or low 40's, at 25-30 GPH. I'm turning 14 1/4 X 19, 4 blade offshore II's. These props are great for this boat but don't deliever top end. If you go with bigger power, do pay close attention to the integeral bracket, and remember that if you make the bracket stronger that may just move the weakness to another area.
If your ever in Pueto Rico or the USVI I'd be happy to show you what I've done and hope to do.

Brad

thedonz
07-19-2002, 08:07 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info..I'd be happy with Brad's numbers. I changed props to MIrage Plus 19P and run 33 MPH at 4200 and 43 WOT, but I think I have a bad carbuerater....I think it will run in the mid fifties with twin 250s

Poodle,

I have the boat in Tavernier Key. About an hour south of Miami. I am going down Sunday. If you want to come down, I'll give you a ride and treat you to a rum runner!

Frank

SundanceKid
07-26-2002, 06:44 PM
If you wanna fork over the cash, go with pair of the new 250 Optimaxes. These motors are putting out approx. 275 hp and would move your boat along pretty well while sipping fuel at a leisurly rate of about 20 GPH for both engines at 4000 RPM's. Poodle, were you at Sarasota for the dealer meeting? If so, how was it? We aren't a dealer anymore so I was wondering if they have any nw products besides the updated classics (like the 38 ZF that was supposed to be out before the 38 ZR).

BOATMON
07-28-2002, 08:54 AM
I am so gad I don't have to make a re-power decision right now. To many choices and to many "NEW" products coming out. DFI vs 4 Stroke, Yamaha vs Mercury. Last year we rigged a work boat with T/225 OPTIMAX's. 5 minutes into the break-in we lost a power head. One new power head and now over 800 hours with no major problems. I prefer Mercury but have seen some amazing hours on Yamaha products used in some severe applications. My EFI's have been great as well, the only problems have been the alarms, now with nearly 700 hours they continue to provide reliable and what I consider economical service. I would have to do a lot of thinking before making the plunge but would probably go with OPTIMAX's. From what I have read the 4 strokes may put to much torque on the transom.

Now if I could only find a 1966 16’ classic. I wouldn’t have to think about what power to put in,I would just do it.

Brad