PDA

View Full Version : Portofino Substitute ??? continuation thread

pmreed
04-02-2001, 08:05 AM
I've taken the liberty of starting a continuation thread as it's taking me minutes to open the current looong thread.

A good time was had by all I think, though the Saturday rain and a few engine problems dampened some spirits. I hope Scott's, Brady's and Walter's hiccups turn out to be just that.

Multitudinous kudos to Madpoodle for getting behind this get together and running with it. It certainly wouldn't have happened without him. He even brought bocce balls although we never got up a game. Next time. Kudos also to Mike Miller from Donzi. Corporate participation and recognition, as well as the occasional shirt and beer cozy makes us rank and file feel good.

As I attended sans boat, I was a rider all weekend. My thanks to Tom, Grady, Nate, Kent, Gene et al for the lifts, and I mean lifts. Sorry not to ride with Randy....that's one hot Corsican, or with Mark in the "Most expensive 2001 18' Classic built". Maybe next time. Spent the most time in Tom's 22 Classic, big boat ride with a bite..ouch. He toasted a few this weekend.

I listened very carefully to a few guys talking more meets this year. As successful and fun as this one was, I think all the participants would look forward to more.

'Nuff said. I gotta go look at a boat!!

Phil

ps: only those of us who were there know the identity of the "mystery boaters" next to the law.

MikeMiller
04-02-2001, 09:02 AM
My thanks to the whole gang for having me and allowing Donzi to fit in with the family. We had a great time and it was great to see old friends, meet new friends, and enjoy the boats.

Madpoodle, thank you so much for your enthusiasm and love for Donzi!! GeneD, keep the spirit, brother! Nate, no word yet on the "James Bond" fund for restoration.

Until next time......

Mike Miller
Donzi Marine

BigGrizzly
04-02-2001, 06:30 PM
It was a great weekend and enjoyed by all. On boat blitz day, all the wives were comparing notes. I really want to thank all my fellow Donzi owners for being pack rats too. After all we may need that 25 year old screw for somting. My son Andrew said " you guys always have fun with each other" he wants to thank all of you for making him feel like part of the grown up group. I do have one question, what do non Donzi owners do for fun, play bingo?

Randy

pmreed
04-02-2001, 09:20 PM
Cheap shot Grizz!! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

Phil

[This message has been edited by pmreed (edited 04-03-2001).]

Kent Perroux
04-02-2001, 10:26 PM
Sorry I missed a lot of the group Saturday.
I got there late with my 5 year old son and my 18 2+3.

While you all were running the river, I broke my 5 year old into driving (and loving) the Donzi at 60+ in the chop. He could not wait to get home and tell mom!

Sunday was a blast also. Sunny and windy - perfect!

------------------

Tom on Lanier
04-03-2001, 05:44 AM
Hey "Afternoon" Reed, I am absolutely, positively, sure that Grizz is not taking a shot at you, as you are an enthusiastic kindered Donzi spirit. Really enjoyed our ride and making new friends and reuniting with old friends. What a blast! Mike Miller- thanks for for your generousity with your time and the Donzi items. And Ted too - very nice restored 18. Madpoodle - once again, great idea, thanks for all you did to pull this together. Hope to see all you guys and gals at Lake Cumberland on May 11!! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

Forrest
04-03-2001, 08:04 AM
Great time by all indeed! Maybe one of these years, I'll manage to grab a Donzi shirt from Mike. The only Donzi shirt that I have is about 20 years old and it looks like it needs an oil change. I know what! I have a nice Fountain Powerboats polo shirt that I'll be sure to wear at next Donzi Get Together that I can attend!!!!

Oh yea, Sunday was extra fun, too. That day we all had a chance, take a ride on almost everyone elses Donzi who attended. Big Grizz, you're a wild man in that Corsican! I love it!!!!!

. . . and GeneD, I want to say that I am sincerely sorry for passing you and your buddy in 007 with my lit'l 'ol 302 powered 16 Ski Sporter with Bertram Boy and two others on-board. Next time I'll try to go a little easier on the throttle. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

Thanks to Scott and all the others who made this event possible.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 04-03-2001).]

Jamesbon
04-03-2001, 10:02 AM
Fellas,
Whew!! That was GREAT! Many thanks to everyone who attended.

Here's the link to a sh*tload of "Sanford" pics which will put a http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif on your face.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1229726&a=12427822&f=0&vt=vp

If you're a registered member, and you don't have pics of your boat in the registry section, please copy them from this link and have Scott add them to your registry page.

MadPoodle,
Did you pop a rod? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif

Yeah, who got stopped by the marine patrol? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Jamesbon (edited 04-03-2001).]

Regal Boy
04-03-2001, 05:39 PM
Rode up with Grady and had a great time, great bunch of people. Haven't talked the wife into the idea of a minx (yet) I don't think 3 broken boats helped my fight too much. She really likes our warrantee, Hope not too much damage was done. Thank you all for the fun weekend and the even MORE Donzi fever that I dont really need right now. Jason.

GeneD
04-03-2001, 07:10 PM
Guys...it was great wasn't it?
Forrest, I will get even...you just wait! Oh, and thanks for sharing that with the group. I am sure I won't hear the end of it for quite some time!
Tell you what, I felt like I had the lousiest boat there! Everyone's boat was just gorgeous.
Bocce never happened, but we did have fun anyway.
I hope all that had the motor troubles find out that they were minor. I am sure to have Walt's Corsican up and running very soon.
Scott, thanks for everything. You did a great thing by doing this, and everyone had a good time.
Told Tina that everyone was asking about her, and boy was she disappointed.
Mike, thanks for everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. We are still enjoying everything, and I think we will start to run out by this weekend. "The Captain" is dying a slow death!
I want to appologize for my impromtu speech during dinner, slurred as it was...but it was my feelings from the heart, and I hope everyone took it as such.
I am looking forward to the proposed thingy in Sarasota, and I hope to see some of you in Miami within the next few weeks for the Superboat race.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

jkeefe
04-03-2001, 08:24 PM
WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE AND DONZI FOR MAKING MY FIRST EVENT A MEMORABLE ONE. A SPECIAL THANKS TO SCOTT FOR BEING THE SPARK THAT BROUGHT IT TOGETHER TO BE A BLAST. I HAVE HAD BOATS IN THE PAST AND HAVE GONE BOATING. BUT, FOR THE LACK OF A BETTER DISCRIPTION THIS WAS NOT BOATING. THIS WAS
DONZI-ING!!!!

BERTRAM BOY
04-03-2001, 08:56 PM
Well here is another one. I just want to thank everyone for the great time this past weekend. It was a blast!!!!!

I am especially appreciative of the hospitality for us out-of-towners. Thank you Scott for arranging the weekend.

Also, what a unique group of Donzis. Forrest, thanks for the fastest ride I have ever had on a 16'. Mark, thanks for the ride on the most expensive 18'. Big Grizzly, thanks (I think) for the hairiest ride I have ever had on an 18'. And Grady, man I gotta get a Hornet (much to the dismay of Diana).

It was great to meet everyone and make some new friends. Hope we do it again next year.

By the way, is it just a coincidence, or did it just so happen that the three boats that had problems were the three boats that Scott and I both rode in? Scott - you're a jinx.

Finally, thanks to Mike Miller for all the goodies. And more importantly, the effort he put forth in joining us for the weekend.

BERTRAM BOY

AIRGRADY
04-03-2001, 09:49 PM
Where do I begin? This was my first “DONZI” event and I must say I had an absolute blast. Scott did a wonderful job of coordinating the whole weekend and assisting in helping the wounded Hornet on the trailer. I was able to ride in a couple boats the few times I wasn’t giving rides and I must say Jacks 16 was quite an experience for me! (I cannot even imagine what a ride in Forrest’s wicked 16 must be like). I would like to offer a special thanks to Jack for the tow. To Mike and Ted from DONZI, thanks for the lift to The Outback, the DONZI goodies, and the laughs. To Tom, WAY COOL BOAT!!!! That was an AWESOME ride, I think we went by the big river boat so fast the people on the balcony didn’t have a chance to tell what color your boat was! To Big Grizzly, thanks for identifying the Hardin exhaust manifolds. To Bertram Boy, good luck on the search for a Hornet I think Diana may have a problem with it after I soaked her while making the right hand turn, (so much for the "its a dry boat" approach). Nate, thanks for posting the digital pictures so soon. I could go on and on.

Great boats! Great people! Great conversation! GREAT DONZI WEEKEND!

Grady

P.S. The Hornet looks like it bent an intake valve on #7. I am gonna pull the head this weekend and see exactly how much damage I did. I hope it isn’t too serious as I hope to attend another DONZI weekend soon!

GEOO
04-04-2001, 05:18 AM
Sounds like you had a blast!!!! I'm sorry I couldn't make it!! Next Time??? GEOO

J&K SHAHBAS
04-04-2001, 10:52 AM
HI ALL, SOUNDS LIKE EVERYONE HAD A GREAT TIME , WISH WE COULD HAVE ATTENDED. BERTRAM BOY ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A HORNET? I KNOW OF ONE FOR SALE HERE IN PHOENIX THAT IS VERY NICE. CALL ME OR E-MAIL FOR INFO .
SEEYA JOHN CELL# 602-757-0254

BERTRAM BOY
04-04-2001, 04:22 PM
John,
Thanks for the tip,But I don't have time or space for 3 boats(like Forrest does). I know I probably shouldn't even ask, but, how much?
BERTRAM BOY

Varyak
04-04-2001, 08:48 PM
Thanks, Madpoodle, you made it a wonderful weekend! Thanks to everyone for being there, and a special thanks to Mike and Ted from Donzi. Goodies and great tech advice are hard to match! Last Tango is in for the new steering rack you suggested, and the new top secret prop and a clear plastic windshield for the Bimini. AOTH here we come!
Mark

GeneD
04-06-2001, 10:34 PM
Walt's boat...bad noises...sorry Walt, just had to post.
"I" think it's the camshaft. So, let's see if I'm right...

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

GeneD
04-07-2001, 08:20 PM
Not the camshaft...worse...
Blown lifter, pulled studs on the port head, and bottom end trouble. Spun bearings, 4 pistons with broken rings. Scored cylinders.
Anyone else talking??????

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 04-07-2001).]

Gearhead99
04-07-2001, 11:30 PM
Sounds like BAD detonation. Must of beat and super heated the pistons so much that is broke the rings and spun the bearings.

Sounds like too much timing.

GeneD
04-08-2001, 08:52 AM
Every cylinder was black with carbon too.
This is not a cool situation.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

BERTRAM BOY
04-27-2001, 03:53 PM
Hey !!!!!!,
Stripe is a she.........
BERTRAM BOY