PDA

View Full Version : Hydromotive Prop Test - Holy Crap Marie

Murphy
07-18-2002, 11:02 PM
Received the Hydromotive Intimidator Q-IV prop bought on ebay for $250 today. Came in perfect condition with the stickers still intact. Unbelievable. Anyway, slapped it on the 22 and splashed it. Holy Sh--! Where to start...? First, I had the most pure fun in the 22 tonight that I've ever had. Here's my report:

Old prop - Mercury Cleaver 3-blade 19 pitch. Got my modified 350 to 5000 rpm and 62 mph on the speedo. Of all the props I'd tested before tonight the Cleaver was still my favorite for overall performance, top end, handling, etc.

New prop - Hydromotive Intimidator Quad-IV 20 pitch. This prop is built like a tank. Blade and hub thickness is 10-15% heavier than any of the props I've tried (Chad Hill, Spinelli, Mirage Plus, labbed Mercury Cleaver). WOT is now 4800 rpm and somewhere in the 62-64 mph range on speedo. Bottom line, this prop is hands-down WAAAAAYYY, WAAAAAAYYYYY better than anything I've experienced. Hole shot is smooth and punchy. The MAJOR difference is in handling under speed. It makes the 22 feel like a 38 footer. Stable as a rock is the best way to describe it. Nothing the waves or other boat wakes could throw at even phased it. Turns were hairpin tight and totally solid. Probably the most remarkable thing is the feel of the ride which is now "softer", for lack of a better word. No more pounding through waves or slamming across wakes. More like the feel of a much larger, heavier boat. My drive is an Alpha SS, and the Quad IV was reported to perform well on higher X-dimension boats. My opinion is that this prop and the 22 Classic hull were secretly made for each other. I had no idea any prop could make this kind of difference. I mean I'd hoped for a little more speed but what I got was a radical, quantum leap in overall performance. Beg, borrow, or steal one of these things any way you can and test it out. More testing over time may reveal some flaws, but tonight you can sell my clothes baby cause I'm pretty sure I died and went to heaven.

Murph

MOP
07-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Hmmmm! Wonder how one would be on my 16? Got me convinced to do a little more asking around.

boldts
07-18-2002, 11:27 PM
Interesting..... Maybe another avenue for me to explore. I saw this prop, although propably more pitch on a 28' Cigarette with twins and TRS drives. Hydro-Motive is here in Twinsburg, OH I believe?

Tom Davis
07-19-2002, 07:39 AM
I've been running a Hydromotive Quad 4 for the past month and have the same opinion. Running a 24 pitch on a 22 classic with the 496 mag HO and a bravo. The prop is excellent in rough water and helps cut down on torque steer with 425hp at the prop. It's still not as fast on the top end as my 25 pitch Mirage 2 Plus though. But I like the way the boat handles better with the Hydrmotive. It's good to have two or more props, I've found that there is no one prop that will do it all. Just my .02

T-Bone

turbo2256
07-19-2002, 08:52 AM
I run a 24p Hydro on my Sunsation Agressor 310 HP 7.4 and am still hitting the rpm limiter. Tom I think you could stand more pitch. Cant go there right now but I plan to send in my prop repitch it to 25 then start cutting down the dia untill I reach my desired RPM.

ThrillSeeker
07-19-2002, 10:59 AM
Boldts you are right it is in twins burg. I have alway said that Hydro makes probably the best prop on the market. They will also custome make one for your aplication. :D

smoothie
07-19-2002, 06:05 PM
They have a web page (http://www.hydromotive.com/),just 15 minutes from where I work,I have been wanting to stop in and pick some brains the next time Im at the office.