PDA

View Full Version : my 1st barrel back

FARJR
07-18-2002, 09:35 PM
Hey everyone I pickup my first barrel back today. I would like to say thanks for the advice I received from all of you on my last message. Well now I have some questions since I haven't been around one of these for along time. 1st it is a 67 2+3 with a ford interceptor 210hp with a eaton drive. How does this rate for this boat is it the smallest? What is the biggest it came with? How is the drive? 2nd it has been outside for along time and the clear coat lifted so I am going to redue the entire hull fixing the spider cracking along the way. Can the deck be removed fairly easily and how? Any information would be helpful, thanks

harbormaster
07-18-2002, 10:01 PM
Check out this...

http://www.donzi.net/tech/deckresto.htm

mattyboy
07-18-2002, 10:29 PM
good luck, and welcome
you've got a DONZI and a barrel back to boot, look up Scott Pearson in the registry he has some good ideas for a barrel back!

Matt
don't start me on Pearson's boat, or should I say Boats!!!

DUDE YOU GOT A DONZI!!!

Tony
07-18-2002, 10:31 PM
Depending on what you paid for the project, your best bet may be to drop in a new sbc/Alpha combo. I guess I say this because, with the deck off and a major refinishing going on, you might as well go for the total restoration! I suggest the Chevy/Alpha based on the majority of this board's users preferring this setup because of availability of parts/mechanics.

The condition of the Intercepter engine will of course depend on prior maintenance and rebuilds. If your Eaton is one of the real old ones that swings clockwise to trailer, you will have a hard time finding parts. If your Eaton is (like on my '67) actually a early model Volvo (AQ200) then it is a good dependable drive and parts are available when (or if!) you need them. Look for a serial number on the top of the outdrive, or post a picture and we will help ID it.

GOOD LUCK AND POST PICTURES!

Rodger
07-18-2002, 10:39 PM
I pulled the deck off my 16 footer many years ago to replace the gas tank. It wasn't too bad. There are some fibreglass straps you must cut below the storage well and of course all those screws around the seam. Naturally all wire, cables, ect must be disconnected. I lifted it using 3 winches from an 'A' frame I built. Cross pieces were put across the engine bay; in the storage well area; and at the fuel fill area. I then just worked the winches carfully and lifted it up. Good luck with it.
Rodger

Scott Pearson
07-20-2002, 05:27 AM
Farjr,
Let me know what you need to know. I have a 1968 and have done the deck removel.

(NJ)Scott