PDA

View Full Version : 16 setup

smokediver
07-18-2002, 04:00 PM
There are a lot of people looking for the "right prop" and if you have a 16 with a 4.3 2bbl. and vortec heads I finally think i found what works for me. I got a small barrel laser2 prop 24 pitch. my gear ratio is 1.8:1. Now there is a gap at the case but I ordered a cavitation ring that kind of adapts the small prop to a large gearcase from boger propellers.( i dont have it yet) I can run my prop now but lose a little mid range acceleration as the exhaust is going over the blades somewhat at slower speeds.I was running a 24 stilleto at 5100 rpm and beyond into my rev. limiter, at 55 on gps a lot of slip there. now with my 24 laser2 no cavring i am running 57.4 on gps at 5000 better slip ratio. the prop also handles well and i do not have to use as much trim as the prop has more lift. I also moved my tabs out to 3 inches from the chine and and 3/4 above the hull. this way i can still have that loose feeling when running wide open but benefit from the tab when i so choose. i know i lost some tab area by doing this but they are still give me the benefit of having them. I really like what i have now and cant wait for the cavring. hope this helps someone with a boat like mine. I have used 4 props and 2 tab placements and i think i finally got the best setup for my power package.( i wonder if a labbed 25 laser 2 would be better !?)hope this helps