PDA

View Full Version : Cracked ring

grandmariner
07-16-2001, 12:35 PM
I have a 73 sweet sixteen with a 302w/351 heads I just found out I have a cracked piston ring what would be the best thing to do rebuild,350,or 4.3. What can I do with out changing out drives

woodsy32
07-16-2001, 12:48 PM
Well, I say make lemonade out of lemons... Chances are if you broke a ring then that particular cylinder is junk. I do not know what your budget is, but Ford Motorsports has a very nice 351W Hi-po package. You could also build your own 351W. They make a pretty sturdy boat motor and will bolt right up to what you have now... of course if money is no object..... HP500 with an Arneson setup... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

Bryan Tuvell
07-16-2001, 05:13 PM
I am mechanically challenged.... but I will add I did help my bud drop a reman long block in his boat this last week and the long block was $700 (SB 350 with a bigger cam) without core charge, 4 bolt main, double roller chain. $60 for the exhaust pressure test and mill, he already had a 400 SBC cam and intake manifold/carb and all the other goodies.... out with the old, in with the new in 2 evenings.....

Good luck and keep us posted.
Bryan

BigGrizzly
07-16-2001, 07:38 PM
The easiest and cheapest thing is to rebuild the Ford. I own a 18 and my sister has a 16 with a 302 it is durable and fast, my 18 has a 350C and is also durable and fast also. to change over to a chevy would be hard and expensive, for aomone not machanically inclind, and out of reach to have someone do it foe you. As for the posibility of a cracked ring. Rings don't just breake unless something causes - over heating or over speed etc.

Randy,