PDA

View Full Version : Crack in Lower Unit VS. Rest of Season.

Formula Jr
07-16-2001, 05:46 AM
Decisions, decisions........

Oky, I bugged up another prop the other day and noticed a small crack in the Lower Unit. I think its been there for a while but as a micro crack. The bent prop on the way back may have opened it up some. I didn't nurse it back. So the decision weighs heavy, to either ignor this till end of season or bag the boat now and wait for a replacement lower unit case. I'm going to scribe a line and go out again tomorrow to see if the crack goes anywhere. Is this an even dumber idea than I think it is?
Http://www.epud.net/~owen/crack1.jpg

Forrest
07-16-2001, 08:25 AM
Owen, I would use that puppy, but keep a very close eye on it. There is one thing that you do need to watch though, that is the propshaft-carrier's retaining-nut getting looses because of the crack. If that happens, the internal parts in your lower unit are history.

------------------
Forrest

Scott Pearson
07-16-2001, 08:41 AM
I would "V" it out some and Tig it. A good welder can do it. That will get you through the season. Then at the end of the season pull it apart and weld it up pretty.

(NJ)Scott

Lonzis Donzi
07-16-2001, 09:38 AM
looks good for welding but you will roast your seal. i don't think i would run it like that.

if you do v it out a little JBweld may do the trick.

good luck!

------------------
'88 Z-21, bigblock, bravo

[This message has been edited by Lonzis Donzi (edited 07-16-2001).]

PaulO
07-16-2001, 10:03 AM
I know welders here that do that all the time on outboards without frying the seal. It is very common. Get the right welder. 15 minutes and you will be done for good.
PaulO

Formula Jr
07-16-2001, 02:46 PM
Cool! Off to see the welder, The wonderful welder of OZ.........

Thanks Guys!

marcdups
07-16-2001, 07:53 PM
LMOA, good luck!!

marcdups
07-16-2001, 08:48 PM
did not mean it in a bad way, just responding to your comment.

\marc

down under

Formula Jr
07-16-2001, 09:39 PM
None taken, I think its LMAO anyway......