PDA

View Full Version : MSD vs Jacobs

Philip47
07-18-2002, 07:26 AM
I can buy a new Jacobs ignition in the box cheap, how do they stack up against a MSD??

turbo2256
07-18-2002, 08:58 AM
If you can get it cheep go for it. I have run one for 3 years on a boat. There customer service dosnt seem as good as MSD but I think there products are a bit better.

MOP
07-18-2002, 08:33 PM
I had Jacobs on my 4 wheeler, the pack somehow went nuts and caused massive detonation. Jacbs says no way, it happened at an easy cruise about 50-60 when in a slit second not even time to shut it down it sounded like rocks going through. It coasted to a stop never to run again. Pulled the head looked like a cutting torch hit the pistons. I got hold of a few guys that I know from up at the raceway, they had either had or knew of others that had lunched good mills using Jacobs. They run MSD or pointless distributors and Hot coils, me I will never again trust an electronic device to control my spark. I do use stock OMC transister distributor with a Hot coil it fires where I time it and it has never failed me. You can not beat hot spark and proper timing, I now think its crap to try to fire the plugs 5-6 times per cycle.