PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory PFDS for Texas Donzis!!!!!!!!

roadtrip
03-28-2001, 11:50 AM
Hey Texas Donzi owners,
Ready to wear your PFDs every time you move your boat on the water? No? Then, I suggest you write your state representative, unless you like sweating in 100 degree Texas heat.
The bill's sponsor is Clyde Alexander.
He can be reached at: clyde.alexander@house.state.tx.us. You can look up your local representative as well at this address. Write, unless you want one more intrusive law for the water police to enforce on you. Attached is my letter and Mr. Alexander's response. Not very encouraging......

MY LETTER:
Mr. Alexander,
I read a quick blurb on a Boater Education big board tonight about some legislation that you are planning to introduce in regard to mandating PFDs be worn on all occupants of a motor boat under way.
I am thirty-eight and have boated my whole life. I consider a measure such as this intrusive and big government. My PFDs and throw cushions are easily available for emergencies. Self preservation and common sense should mandate when it is best to use them.
Who would enforce this law? How about taking those resources and utilizing them to enforce the myriad of water laws already on the books? There are much bigger problems on our lakes such as alcohol, lack of awareness of the rules of the road, and unsafe operation. Let's target the problems and leave other safe boaters alone.
One more law will not protect us from ourselves. Todd Somerville

MR. ALEXANDER's RESPONSE:
Thank you for your opinions and concerns on HB 3107. The Bill as it was introduced has been amended. HB 3107 now states,

"The operator of a class A or class 1 motorboat, while the motorboat is under combustion engine power, shall wear and require every occupant of the boat to wear a Coast Guard approved lifesaving device."

Section 31.073 of the Texas Parks & Wildlife code has been left out entirely. This exempts canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, and sailboats when paddled, poled, oared, windblown, or floating with the current from the life jacket requirement.

Your comments and concerns are always welcomed.

Sincerely,

Clyde Alexander
State Representative
District 12

Class A and Class 1 boats are powerboats less than 26 feet. Us! Thanks, Todd

[This message has been edited by roadtrip (edited 03-28-2001).]

Mark Nelson
03-28-2001, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. I have already sent my response opposing the proposed legislation HB-3107.
Here is a link to the bill in question.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/db2www/tlo/billhist/billhist.d2w/report?LEG=77&SESS=R&CHAMBER=H&BILLTYPE=B&BILLSUFFIX=03107

I also sent a response opposing HB-2702 also being considered by the 77th legislature.
This bill puts a noise level limit on motorboats at 92 decibels. All you guys/gals with open pipes (especially the 454/502's) should consider this new law (i.e excuse to stop/board you)
Here is the link to this bill.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/db2www/tlo/billhist/billhist.d2w/report?LEG=77&SESS=R&CHAMBER=H&BILLTYPE=B&BILLSUFFIX=02702

I was told that the most effective way to have your voice heard is to email (with the words "I oppose" and the bill #) and also send a written response. I will also be calling my local rep's and senator's offices to state my opposition as well.

MN

harbormaster
03-29-2001, 07:18 AM
Hey Mark Nelson,
Lake Jackson Huh?

Give me a call at 281-480-2466 in the evening. I am just down the road.

Scot VanAlstine

[This message has been edited by harbormaster (edited 03-29-2001).]