PDA

View Full Version : OMC Fuel Line Rubber Hose Thingie....

gjohns6896
07-17-2002, 10:54 PM
I have a '92 18 footer with a 350 OMC King Cobra drive and noticed the other day that the rubber hose from BELOW the fuel filter to the Carb had a slight kink in it. So, I played with the hose and the kinked fixed itself...but then after ONE run up to WOT and back to idle, it kinked again.

I ordered what I thought was a new fuel line from the fuel filter to the crab <what I thought was my needed part> and that is NOT the rubber hose, it is metal. So, where should I go to get a new "rubber breather hose" for my engine?

It is a brownish colored hose, from the carb to below the filter...not sure where it hooks on, could not tell from my angle.

Thanks in advance,
George

Bad-Tat
07-18-2002, 06:35 AM
If it's like my 90 16 it is a tygon hose that starts out yellowish in color. Any boat shop should have it or check with NAPA.

MOP
07-18-2002, 07:27 AM
I think from what you are discribing someone removed the hard steel line betwwen the carb and the fuel pump. It is there for saftey and should be replaced, with the stock item or high quality S/S braided with fittings. Obviously that line is under pressure, if it fails at speed it will spray fuel excellent chance for a fire or worse. The simi translucent line bill speaks of is the fuel pump relief line in case the diapham lets go the fuel gets sucked into the carb. It is like heat shrink and will colapse in a fire condition. Please if you love you and yours put the proper type line between the fuel pump and carb. Hate like hell to lose a DONZITE!

gjohns6896
07-18-2002, 08:42 AM
I will go take another look at this mysterious line I have, but I am still not sure what it is for. Is it for transporting fuel, or is it just a breather-type hose, or is it there as M.O.P. said; only for a fire-situation? I gather that it is SUPPOSED to be there, but if it was supposed to be metal, why would someone put a rubber job on there?

Cheers,
George

MOP
07-23-2002, 08:32 PM
It is a safety feature, if the fuel pump fails and starts to blow fuel into the other chamber it gets sucked into the carb. It is made of s plastic/ rubber stuff (forgot name) that colapses in case of a fire.