PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat damage questions

Mark Nelson
03-28-2001, 07:55 AM
While waxing the boat the other day, I noticed a star-shaped crack (just about water line high) on the port side. I don't remember anything like ski's or such banging into it; it almost looks like a hammer hit or a rock thrown from a lawnmower. (yes we are already mowing grass down here)
My questions are, should I patch these cracks and what are the appropriate methods.
Also, do I have to worry about the cracks spreading (like a crack in the windshield)
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

jwright
03-28-2001, 11:31 AM
It sounds like the cracks were form a point load so it probably is not a sign of flexing or fatigue. In my opinion they probably won't spread since the stress that caused them is on longer there.
The cracks need to be ground into a v shape and then filled. You could fill them with a filler then spray it or try use a tinted putty. I think filling and then spraying is the best but spraying gel can be tricky and you always have the risk of a halo around the sprayed area. I have seen good results with tinted gel putties. Make sure that anything you use is intended for marine use, automotive can absorb water.
There are probably a lot of other ways out there, these are just the ones I am familiar with.

Len
03-28-2001, 09:13 PM
Mark, here is something I found a while back and basically describes the "Scott Pearson way"...seems imformative and the company TM's many gel-coats to many manufacturers...
http://www.hkresearch.com/docs/HKR039.doc