PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater maintainence

Philip47
07-15-2001, 07:41 AM
What can I do to protect against salt water damage to the drive and engine? Should I get a fresh water engine kit?

Formula Jr
07-15-2001, 02:23 PM
Yes, get a Fresh Water System.
Make sure all your bonding wires are good.
Use only the Merc greases (which have metal in them that conduct electricity)
Replace your anodes every season.
Do not dock at a yard with shore power and live aboards. At least don't dock next to a shore powered live-aboard.
There are proactive anode systems that bond all your metal parts and then use an over the side, in the water, hanging anode.

smokediver
07-15-2001, 07:55 PM
if you can take it out on a trailer after use is one thing , but if you are gonna have to leave it in is another. As long as you flush it after EACH use for about 20 minutes you will be ok. there is a company called gaurdian that sells a flushing kit that is superior to standard flushing.the engine doesnt have to be on either.if the boat has to stay in the water , you will have to bottom paint . that kills the resale and to some extent the performance.outdrives do not hold up well in that enviornment. i would not worry about converting over to freshwater cooling , easpecially if its already been in saltwater. a waste of money.as far as engine cleaning goes, good ole wd-40 works great.some know it alls will tell you how the petroleum in it will do damage but i have been using this for many years and my engines look brand new.dont forget to wash your trailer last and you should be just fine.

------------------
better to die on your feet, than live on your knees