PDA

View Full Version : Drag Weekend

blue-z
07-14-2001, 03:41 PM
In Lake Erie off of Sandusky Ohio is an awesome place called Puttin Bay. It is the definition of great entertainment and fun times.

Got up and invited a buddy to head up on the 0ld z-25. Have maintained this machine and never had a bad turn key situation (other than a small rock problem and a related prop redo).

Head out into the current of the Detroit river from the Canadian side. Hear a load Pfffff and oh-oh, over heat city.

Got towed in by the cops (good guys) and scrapped the weekend. Headed in for repairs (after a few cold ones at the marina).

Pulled apart the thermo and redid it. Looked bad but not that bad. Pulled the internal pump to find massive chunks of rubber and a damaged housing (plastic). Will rebuild on Monday for the price in part of $120 Canadian dollars for the full kit.

Question time.

Is there anything I should do when replacing this part, such as flushing all the hoses to remove debris? or just run it? I have a transom wash out. Should I just run that for a while to flush it? Any hints or experto advice would be appreciated before Monday.
Also, What does this full rebuild kit retail for in the United States.
Thanks gang. We will get em next weekend.

PS. The hydros are running off Belle Isle this weekend, cool stuff!!

PSS. You can guarantee I am going to take out the GTO rag and beat the tar out of it this weekend for my regular horsepower withdrawal!!!!!!

DonziDave
07-15-2001, 10:55 AM
Yep! - You have to find all the missing pieces of the impeller. They can block your hoses and esp. the the small coolant ports in the heads. On your first trip out,if you can't find all the pieces, monitor your temp. and stop from time to time and feel for spots on the engine that may be unusually hot.
Dave

jaroot
07-15-2001, 02:27 PM
ahhhh Put-in-Bay.... what memories and some wild times i have had there... lots of bikinis too... wonder if the 16 is up to handling those short choppers of lake erie? only 28 miles around the south side of the island.... good luck with that impeller...

Flash
07-15-2001, 04:42 PM
I agree with Donzi Dave,you need to find the pieces! A few years back I bought a used boat and the first time out I heard a nasty sound and had to pull the heads. I had an exhaust valve stick in the guide and the piston hit it. I put it back together and the same thing happened. The engine shop told me the guides were too tight. Put in all new guides and guess what, same thing! After two more times I had discovered a piece of the impeller in the block! it was restricting the flow to the head! Good luck, Kurt