PDA

View Full Version : Lessons learned about "so called" marine surveyors.

Bryan Tuvell
07-13-2001, 10:47 PM
Well as most of you may have read, crab pot one day and the outdrive was fine for a week, then she died....
Surveyor arrives after crab pot, cosmetic damage, ($1k compensation), he was hired by State Farm, he checks for external damage only, takes a few photos and leaves.....

Went to see my Merc Mechanic today who tore the drive apart yesterday.... lower unit is fine, top is CRAP, gone etc.... His comment was, "Bryan, why didn't the surveyor pull the drive apart for inspection, do you know what that cost State Farm for him to drive from NC to VA and do a survey?"..
Should he have taken it apart?
Merc Mechanic says, the impact left internal damage and time was against me....
Now I am arguing with a Marine Surveyor over 2K out of my pocket, in addition to State Farm funds for a new unit unit...
On the good side, I will be back in the water soon.....
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 07-14-2001).]

Lonzis Donzi
07-14-2001, 09:47 AM
insurance companies love to screw everybody, they suck!

--------------

Bryan Tuvell
07-15-2001, 07:02 AM
Scott, just frustrated here, I really am not upset with State Farm, they have always stood by me, 22 years, problem is they really are not a marine company so they rely on 3rd party info.

Should he have taken the drive apart at survey?

I will ask for a second opinion and see what happens. To be on the safe side, I have already transfered the money to pay for the balance on the drive.
Regardless, air is in the tube and we are ready to have fun next weekend...
Thanks.
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 07-15-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
07-17-2001, 09:54 AM
UPDATE, boy, outdrives sure are expensive.
$2912.48 brand new upper installed, 1 year factory warranty.
Surveyor is driving up from NC to reinspect the upper drive, I guess if he took the mechanics word he wouldn't get paid for a second inspection, we all need $$ from work but this process has been a pain. State Farm has been very supportive and I guess I just need to get used to this process if I am going to be a boater!!!
With anyluck, The top drive will be covered and I can take the rest of the claim money and have the lower unit scratches removed and painted this winter.
Back in the water by Friday.
Bryan

Reckless288
07-17-2001, 10:58 AM
Great to hear your back underway by Friday! Make sure you check your email strings about the this weekend's planning process. We want to stay busy every weekend with new territory's to explore. LET'S ROCK!!!!

------------------
"...we sleep safely in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us."