PDA

View Full Version : Lake St. Clair this weekend

Ranman
07-17-2002, 10:11 AM
Anyone going to be out this weekend? What days and where? Randy

boldts
07-17-2002, 10:30 AM
Randy,
I like your thoughts. Beth and I have been looking for a reason to come up to St.Clair. We missed the Gull Island weekend and Saturday is a better day for us due to Monday morning work. I've also been working on a performance enhancer and a ruff water test would be right down the next avenue of testing needed. We could add at least 1 more to that 14 Donzi attendance figure if all show up again.

Ranman
07-17-2002, 10:39 AM
Scott, On any given weekend, I'll see at least four or five Donzis out there and I know most of them. I'm disappointed that I missed the Gull Island gathering too so that would make two more boats. The turnout was much better than I thought it would have been. We need to round these guy up for another weekend.

Saturday sounds good to me. You'll have a blast on LSC in the 22. I'll come out for sure if your coming up. Now where's the rest of the LSC crowd?

olredalert
07-17-2002, 10:43 AM
Ranman,

--------Im in if on Saturday.Sunday I have a car show.Would rather be out on the boat both days,but all Ive got is Sat.
--------Hey,Ill actually bring a boat this time.Something new for me,huh!
--------Looking forward to seeing everyone!
--------Oh,will probably splash in Algonac as trip down from East China on Saturday on the river is exceedingly rough!..............just.......ol red!

boldts
07-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Give me a launch location. I'll have to talk to the boss, but I know she will love the idea. We really enjoyed our day at Put-In Bay. What was the name of that state park we went to last time? Actually, we went to two. The big one that I believe the offshore race is run out of and the one up on the North side in the river due to ruff conditions down below. Shallow, but manageable. Let's see, GPS, charts, sun lotion, a hat... :D

Ranman
07-17-2002, 11:08 AM
Ol Red, Looks like Saturday will be the day. Good to hear you're on the water. Whatcha floatin' around in?

Ranman
07-17-2002, 11:13 AM
Scot, I normally use the Sheriff's launch at the end of South river Road. This is at the mouth of the Clinton River. This is just a couple of miles from the McDonalds we met at by metro beach. We could get you better directions if needed. You could also launch at Metro Beach or in Algonac like before. The water is up 5-6", but I'm sure Algonac is still shallow. The nice thing about the Sheriffs launch is there is plenty of parking and they have like 20+ ramps. Let me know.

olredalert
07-17-2002, 08:13 PM
Thanks Randy,

------Will be in Corsican #2.#1 is close to being sold,but not quite done yet,And El Pescador is close to a splash but still about a week or two out.
------Have been using Algonac for the last two weeks and,while shallow,its doable.Just ask someone where the channel out is and you will be OK,although you will probably trim a few weeds for them.
------Man,there are some different party holes around Harsens.Have been exploring the area,as Im relativly new around here,and am constantly finding something new.Saturday should be fun!!!!!.........just......ol red!

Ranman
07-18-2002, 09:27 AM
OK, Anyone else coming out Saturday or is it just going to be me and Ol Red?

Red, Where do you want to meet? Do you know how to get to Gull Island?

olredalert
07-18-2002, 10:14 AM
Randy,

------Have to be somewhere at 6 so will probably get a fairly early start(but dont plan an early time on my account).I can keep myself entertained.Im shooting for 11 or so at the Algonac ramps.
------Was hoping Sam would see this post as we have been talking about a meeting.If we dont hear from him today Ill call him Fri.so he is in the loop.
------Have found the infamous Gull Island.Matter of fact I was out there sort of late Sat.evening(6 or so)looking for a DONZI sighting and couldnt find a one.Weird huh!........Bill S.....ol red!

Sam
07-18-2002, 05:52 PM
Red, it looks like I will be in town this weekend so I will see you at the ramp at 11:00. If you need to call me my cell # it is 248-408-1841.

Sam

olredalert
07-19-2002, 08:52 AM
Great Sam,looking forward to it!......ol red!

Ranman
07-19-2002, 02:12 PM
All, Scott Bolt and I will be launching at the DNR Sheriffs launch at the mouth of the Clinton River around 10:00-10:30. Anyone else launching around there should meet us then. We will be heading to the North Channel and over to the launch in Algonac to meet Sam and Ol Red. We should make it there by 11:00. We can stop at Deckers for a quick sandwich and catch up with anyone elso who may be coming. I figure we'll leave Deckers and run down to Gull Island for a dip in the water and a soda or two. Maybe we could run across the lake to cruise the Metro Beach canal sometime in the afternoon. Anyway, we'll play it by ear. See you on the water tomorrow. Randy

boldts
07-19-2002, 08:21 PM
Just wanted to add my cell number just in case it's needed. (614) 286-1442. Now, how about you northern Ohio owners joining me. Smoothie? Where's the MI gang?

Jamie Root, Tony Sporer, Donsified, Chris White, Jeff Wright, Brad Lyon, Doug Lovins, Bill Kalinowski and all of you who were at Gull Island last time?

Bill - looking forward to seeing you again. Didn't know you had 2 Corsicans. Can't wait to see your red one. Just in case we run into the Criterion SS again, camara will be with me!

Sam - I really enjoyed the ride in your 16 at KY. Hope to do it again and of course your welcome in mine. I'm bringing a new Turbo to try out.

Sagby, you out there? I'm coming up alone so if you'd like to get out in a Donzi again, meet us at Sheriff's Launch by 10:30. (End of South River Rd.)

Weather report says 85 and sunny. Come on out and enjoy it with us!

Tony
07-19-2002, 09:49 PM
I can't believe that I am unable to make this great sounding get together! But, on Sunday morning, we take off for Barnes County Park on the north end of Torch Lake. Probably boat on Torch one day, Grand Traverse Bay another, Lake Charlevoix on another, and chill out on the beach a day or two in between all that excitement.

So, Saturday is the day we take our son to soccer camp (for a week...yes!) and pack for our up north excursion. Have fun everybody!

Donzified
07-20-2002, 07:17 AM
My Donzi is "OFF LIMITS",look for me in my yellow 77 25ft. Nova.Doctors orders.

Boat_Mon
07-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Ranman,

How'd it go? any good action?? I wanted to make it, had to get the new fuel pump in though...maybe next time :cool:

Rootsy
07-21-2002, 12:16 AM
Man sorry i missed today gentlemen... had a few hangups...

1) volunteering for formula junior achievement in Battle Creek which took all day...

2) my boat is ahem... in pieces til tomorrow... :D

ihope you all had a fun and safe time.. it was a niiiiiice day!!!!

smoothie
07-21-2002, 07:41 PM
Boldts,
I had a family picnic on Sunday or I would have been going up with you,I keep thinking about the 2 to 3 foot waves we were running in up on Erie,what a blast!!!

boldts
07-21-2002, 10:06 PM
Had a wonderful day on Lake St.Clair. Water before lunch was smooth with hardly a ripple. Since I was trying a new prop, I really appreciated this. The prop was not disappointing either. At one point during the day, I got a GPS of 70.1 MPH. The old prop topped out at 65.2 MPH almost 5 MPH for just a little over $300. Best part was the RPMs ran at 4600 and the boats attitude was vastly improved.

Met up with Randy Oak and friend Newman after some off highway excursions. If your going up to Mich. from OH, talk to me about how to get there. I-75 and I-94 are both being rebuilt. Randy, Newman and I met up with Bill(Ole Red) and Sam Pilato. Sam took us to a restaurant for lunch. We then went by Bill and Liz Kalinowski's home, but the Donzi was covered and there didn't appear to be any life in site. We then headed over to Gull Island and relaxed for a while. Saw 2 other 22' Classics go by, but they did not stop. After Bill and Sam left due to other commitments, Randy, Newman and I decided to take a ride down to the Detroit river and the Detroit waterfront. The wind had been blowing fairly hard most of the day and the lake was kicked up. Cruiser wakes was probably more of a factor than the wind, but it was a challenging ride to Detroit. My past weekend at Put-In Bay really was useful as it helped me know how to handle my Classic in ruff water.
Still, though, I hit a couple wakes wrong and the hit felt like I split my Donzi in two. I had been up to the Hydroplane Thunderfest on the Detroit river and it was cool to see the Detroit Yacht Club and Roosters from the water. After a little bit of a break, we headed back to Gull Island. On the way back, we passed a freighter. These things look like giant snow plows as they go through the water. I could only think "Please don't let me have the engine quit now!" We pulled into Gull Island again and met a Donzi owner with a White with black stripes 18' Classic. He mentioned seeing an all red with white stripes 16. I asked if he knew the owner? He said no, but it sure was a beautiful Donzi. I told him I wasn't sure, but I'd bet that the boat belonged to Tony Spore. I invited him to join our club and the Registry. Sun was beginning to set so we mounted up and did a couple speed runs in front of Gull Island. We got the boats back on the trailers and prepared them for the trips home.

As we looked back at the day, we could only come to the conclusion that we had to do it again before the summer ends. Randy and Newman also gave me some much appreciated travel directions to by-pass all the construction. I drove to Toledo and decided I needed to stop and get some rest. It had been a long, but enjoyable day for me. I have always loved running my Donzi on big water whether it was the 18 or the now 22. It was great to see everyone again and I look forward to doing it again soon! Thanks everyone. Pictures when I get them developed.

Boat_Mon
07-21-2002, 10:13 PM
thanks boldts....that was relaxing just to read...

HyperDonzi
07-21-2002, 10:29 PM
ranman, were you in the featured owners section of donzimarine.com?

Ranman
07-22-2002, 07:53 AM
Scott, Gerat summary of the day. Even better since we lived it. "I love it when a plan comes together". We'll do it again before the end of the season.

Hyper, Yes my boat and story are featured on the Donzimarine.com Owners section.

Randy

KRAVEN
07-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Sorry Liz and I missed everyone this weekend,we attended a wedding in Clearwater.We are looking forward to Aug.24th.I hope Liz's broken foot will be mended by then.See everyone soon.
KRAVEN

HyperDonzi
07-22-2002, 04:11 PM
then ranman you know how i feel, if i had a brochure i would have worn holes through it all over by now. hopefully i wont have to wait was it 14 years? i cant remember. 14 months would be awesome.