PDA

View Full Version : Hey Gang I Need OMC Stringer Drive Advise Please!!

Secret F233
07-13-2001, 04:23 PM
It won’t go into drive or reverse it’s an 80 OMC stringer drive on my F233 with a big rubber boot around it. First of is this A Decent drive or should just replace it? And if so what’s going to fit that monster hole? Maybe a deck and outboards is the answer!! I always had a RiverQueen with Dana 90’s Now that’s a Tank Drive!!
I have tried disconnecting the linkage and swinging it by hand but still not. Now when the motor is off the prop spins in neutral & stiff in gear but in the water or on land i can start the motor & shift into drive & nothing Happens It just Revs the same in rev? Someone told me the clutch wont engage if the oil pump in the bottom of the lower unit is not getting power But my mechanic says the gears must be chewed up because the oil in the lower is black but if the gears are chewed why is it stiff in drive & free in nutral. Help It's going to be winter soon And I’m still in the driveway whats going on here!!!!!

------------------
Secret F233

Forrest
07-15-2001, 10:35 AM
Those drives are electric shift and use electromagnets and a spring-like device (that can break) that engauges the propshaft to the forward or or reverse gear. The OMC striger drive is, well to be polite, not all that great of a drive system. The big problem in converting to another drive system is that big hole, and the fact that some boats were designed around OMC's unique engine mounting system (i.e. thin transom, non standard sringer dimensions, etc.). The one good thing that I can say about tha drive is that the lower unit can be repaired using regular house-hold hand tools - so grab a manual and go at dude! parts may be getting expensive though. Also make sure that you use the correct lube for these lower units (OMC Premium Blend).
------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 07-15-2001).]

Secret F233
07-16-2001, 11:19 AM
Thank you for the advice I am looking for a manuel now & Plan on doing the repair my self thats great news for me with such a tight buget this meens i can fix this baby my self and mybe hit the H2O before the season is over i hope its not like a mitsubishi in that lower unit but being older an US Hopfuly its more like a chevelle simple. Even if i would have to get a custom tool it's good to hear i can do this at home so here i go?

Any other advise would be greatly Apreshiated Thanks again

------------------
Secret F233