PDA

View Full Version : 18 vs 22 classic

Philip47
07-13-2001, 01:02 PM
another question, I live on a bay off of the gulf of mexico,
I will run mostly on the bay and in the inter coastal, with limited running in the Gulf when calm,
I'm thinking about buying a 18 2+3, would a 22 be better suited to this type of water?
If so how much motot does it take to make the 22 performe?
Should I look for a used Blackhawk? I don't want ungodly fuel usage but don't want a slug either
How would a 377 be in a 22? Scorpion?
Thanks again for your help. Phil

Flash
07-13-2001, 03:42 PM
I`m probably going to get slammed for this but I have owned both and 18 and 22 2+3`s and my opinion is the 18 handles better than the 22. My 22 would bow steer really bad if you let it! I do love the 18`s though.

AVickers
07-14-2001, 08:55 PM
I, too, have owned and loved both.

I view the 18 as more of a lake boat. It also has limited storage space and fairly low freeboard.

For the moderate stuff you'll be getting on the Intercoastal or in the bays, I'd suggest the 22. She'll take a pounding better and has more freeboard for rollers and such.

She will use more fuel...

As for the Blackhawk, I'd pass. Those drives are so expensive that getting it into the salt would be something like a crime. Get a Bravo. Or, I've heard that there's a Volvo DX (dual prop) 22 Classic out there. In my book, that would be ideal...

Enjoy!

Emmo
07-15-2001, 12:10 AM
After riding in Tomahawk w/ Tom Riggle, I would have to say that the 22 is not the gas guzzler you might expect. I rode with him from Lake Eufaula to Columbus, GA and back (over a 100 miles) and we only used about 25 gallons. He has a carburated 454. Joe's EFI 502 seemed to get about the same mileage. I won't share my opinions about saltwater.

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

[This message has been edited by Emmo (edited 07-15-2001).]

BigGrizzly
07-16-2001, 08:10 PM
I also qwn both and willsay the 18 is more nimble, but doesn't eide as well. My 22 doesn't bow steer unless the tron is all the way in and tabs down. As for fuel consumption the big bloch is better at cruising with the stock bb engine the 502 supercharged one is like the 18 unless I twist it hard then it goes to crap,

Randy